1 - 20 of 377 Posts

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hi, my name is Jason and I'm the Founder/President of Wheelers For The Wounded.

I know not everyone has a MySpace account, so I started the website www.wheelersforthewounded.org. Just today, I put a forum on that site which will be used for event planning (broken down by State). If you're interested in attending an event in your State, then I hope you will sign up on the forum, post your picture in the photo thread and let others know you'd like to attend. If you have any ideas on where the event should be held, that would be nice to hear as well.

Currently, I do not have a club that has volunteered to act as Event Hosts/Trail Guides for Colorado. If you know of a large sized club that would like to do so, please have the club's president contact me at [email protected].

Due to where I am (Iraq), running two websites, dealing with sponsors, wounded veterans, and clubs who've signed on to be event hosts, not to mention my j-o-b, I don't have a lot of free time and therefore may not be able to swing by here much. So the best way to get ahold of me is through the Forum or on my MySpace page.

I think it would be great to have a TTORA club host an event and hope to get the chance to wheel with you all!

·
Registered
600 Posts
I would definitely like to help out with this event. Would it be easy, moderate, and hard-core trails? This sounds like one of the most worthwhile things we can do.

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think we can develop trail runs that will entertain all ability levels. Check out the site and check out the rig they're building and the forum. I'll be waiting to hear what they want to do and accommodate as good hosts!

·
Registered
725 Posts
this is deffinitely an awesome idea! I am doin this for shure

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thank you for the interest in the program. This is something I feel strongly about. A coworker (young Marine in a squad I'm assigned to) lost both his legs from the calves down in an IED attack in December. On January 1st of this year, another coworker was peppered with metal from an IED blast while on foot patrol. The combination of those two events is what inspired me to do this.

It started out with me planning on taking a trip around the States anyway and wanting to meet up with "Beef" (the marine who lost his legs) and take him off-roading...and letting him drive as well if he had his prosthetics by then.

When word of that go out, others asked if they could go too. Then it was suggested that I do this during the entire trip. From there, word spread like wildfire and the program is where it is today. Keep in mind that the MySpace page is only 2 weeks old and has about 2000 hits and over 700 "friends." I think the support being shown be the off-road community is AMAZING!

Thank you for everyone who will help in making this program a success. While it will be good to raise a little money for a charity, in the end, anyone can throw cash at a problem, charity, etc. The most valuable thing you can give someone is your time. Let's all give 1 or 2 days out of our 365 day year for these brave men and women who've given so much to us.

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
The requirements don't seem like much of a problem:

What I need are groups of off-road enthusiast from around the country who would be willing to put together a trail run while I'm passing through their area. Some of these will be 1 day events and some will be 2 day events. Then there are places, such as Moab, which will be over 2 days. It will largely depend on the number of people participating and the number of trails available to run.

Here are some things to consider prior to volunteering to be Event Hosts/Trail Guides:

1. Your club should have knowledge of an off-road park and/or enough trails to keep us busy for a day or two. Your club should also know the location of a campground located near the event site. It is okay if your club is based in a location other than where the event will take place, as long as your members do not mind the drive to get there. I want to see the best your State has to offer!

2. Your club should practice responsible wheeling and follow the guidelines set forth by Tread Lightly!

3. Your club should be willing to have at least two fundraisers between now and the time of the event. This can be in the form of charity trail runs for example.

4. Due to the many different types of off-road vehicles that will be participating, your club should not discriminate between make/model of vehicles. Yes, it is okay if you have the word "Jeep," "Toyota,"
" Hummer," etc, in your clubs name, but the event will be open to all types of vehicles. In other words, it will be a "run what your brung" event.

5. Due to articles and pictures of the events being published in Four Wheeler magazine, your club should approve of themselves, their vehicles, the clubs name, and possibly their individual names being in that
magazine.

I'll send an email to Jason here shortly getting us on the agenda!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Email sent:

The CO chapter of TTORA would like very much to be your host while in Colorado.

We will have no problem meeting the requirements listed on your "Events" page.

With all the snow we're getting in the high country this year, timing will greatly affect trail selection - possibly even well into the summer - so if you can supply some guidance as to when you will be here, we can get to work on scouting some locations!

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Wow ... he's fast, we're listed as the sponsoring club for Colorado!

Jason has requested that we have the planning discussions on his forum so others can participate and see the plans. I don't think he knows what he's asking for ... let the post whoring commence!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for jumping on this Troy. I've already posted on his forum, so yeah, whore away! I look forward to seeing his schedule and coming up with a plan.

Any ideas for the fund raising aspect? I was thinking perhaps a HOW food/wrench thing with a "cover charge"??

I have also been working on an Colorado off-road rally for charity that should take place in August in the central Rockeis, so perhaps we could run a team and use this as the charity org.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Nice! if i ever get my truck done i am in for sure!

Awesome idea!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think we'll have to wait and see when, where they're coming from and going to next, as well as some feedback from previous runs to see what has/has not worked.

1 - 20 of 377 Posts