TTORA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
looking at some of the 16x8 polished wheels from wheelers offroad...at $100 a piece that seems pretty cheap....am I missing something? Also what backspaing should I look at for 16x8 wheel 32x11.5x16 with donahoe coilovers and 1/5" aal? I dont want it to stick out very much at all if any past the fenders...is it possible?

·
Registered
81 Posts
JustinT said:
looking at some of the 16x8 polished wheels from wheelers offroad...at $100 a piece that seems pretty cheap....am I missing something? Also what backspaing should I look at for 16x8 wheel 32x11.5x16 with donahoe coilovers and 1/5" aal? I dont want it to stick out very much at all if any past the fenders...is it possible?
I just got a set of the black alloy's from Wheelers about two weeks ago. They shipped the same day I called and they arrived double boxed and in great shape. The black alloys have 4" BS and I am running 285/75/16's or 33 x 11.50's roughly. They don't stick out beyond the flares and it gave me some needed clearance between the sidewall and upper A arm.

You can see a couple of pics of my truck here:

http://webpages.charter.net/cappleton3/

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
JustinT said:
I got those wheels six months ago and i love the look with my impusle red tacoma but the only drawback is balancing tires. I just picked up some dualer revos so i had wheel works balance them with the sticky weights well they were still .75 out of balance so now i went to the original weights but now when i have the tires balanced i have to touch them up with black paint.

·
Registered
182 Posts
TRDUSA2002 said:
I got those wheels six months ago and i love the look with my impusle red tacoma but the only drawback is balancing tires. I just picked up some dualer revos so i had wheel works balance them with the sticky weights well they were still .75 out of balance so now i went to the original weights but now when i have the tires balanced i have to touch them up with black paint.
I am not really sure why anyone is having an issue with balancing wheels from Wheelers. Wheelers recommends that when you get their wheels, have the tire shop take them straight from their boxes and put them on the machine to see if they are out of round (unbalanced) BEFORE mounting any tires. The guy I talked to at Wheelers said that he has never heard of one being out of round striaght out of the box. If everything is good to go, THEN mount the tires and if there is a balance issue, you know it's either the tire or the shop and not the wheels. Wheelers said that some folks complain that their wheels are out of round and can't be balanced (according to the tire shop), but strangely enough, those same folks have not ever checked the wheels before they actually mounted tires. More often than not, I'd bet that the issue is the guy at the tire shop doesn't know how to balance a wheel, or he boffed mountng the tire in some way. In fewer instances, a balancing issue might actually be tire related, esp. with more aggressive, heavier tires, but I would not expect there to be an issue with Duelers at all. I think I would try getting your tires balanced elsewhere in the future. Just my .02. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
does anyone know what the backspacing is on their type a and type b 15x8 steelies? i'm looking for something between 3.25 and 3.75.

·
Registered
182 Posts
WindsorTaco said:
does anyone know what the backspacing is on their type a and type b 15x8 steelies? i'm looking for something between 3.25 and 3.75.
Type B, 4". I believe Type A is more backspacing, not less, but I don't know the exact amount. I think you need to find the old style Wheelers steelies if you want less than 4", but they changed to the new backspacing in part because so many were having rubbing issues with 33x12.5s.

·
Registered
63 Posts
BigBro said:
Type B, 4". I believe Type A is more backspacing, not less, but I don't know the exact amount. I think you need to find the old style Wheelers steelies if you want less than 4", but they changed to the new backspacing in part because so many were having rubbing issues with 33x12.5s.
cool, thanks bro

·
I LIVE FOR THIS
1,700 Posts
BigBro said:
I am not really sure why anyone is having an issue with balancing wheels from Wheelers. Wheelers recommends that when you get their wheels, have the tire shop take them straight from their boxes and put them on the machine to see if they are out of round (unbalanced) BEFORE mounting any tires. The guy I talked to at Wheelers said that he has never heard of one being out of round striaght out of the box. If everything is good to go, THEN mount the tires and if there is a balance issue, you know it's either the tire or the shop and not the wheels. Wheelers said that some folks complain that their wheels are out of round and can't be balanced (according to the tire shop), but strangely enough, those same folks have not ever checked the wheels before they actually mounted tires. More often than not, I'd bet that the issue is the guy at the tire shop doesn't know how to balance a wheel, or he boffed mountng the tire in some way. In fewer instances, a balancing issue might actually be tire related, esp. with more aggressive, heavier tires, but I would not expect there to be an issue with Duelers at all. I think I would try getting your tires balanced elsewhere in the future. Just my .02. :)
Thanks man for the reply. Im sure its the shop but after finding out about those crappy sticky weights ill never got with powder coated wheels again. Its pretty hard to balance any wheel/tire with those things and on top of that when its time to take the weights off they leave that sticky/paper crap behind so now you have to get that off. I rather use traditional weights and use some touch up paint if i have too.

·
Registered
98 Posts
What about balancing beads like dyna beads? They're supposed to work better than traditional weights and adhesives. I'm planning on using them when I eventually figure out what wheels I want.

Megan

1 - 12 of 12 Posts