TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have been whellin my 91 E.F.I for about 4 years now but have decided to buy a straight axled toyota. all straight axle yotas r carburated (i know except 85 golden year) unless i get a S.A.S. my question is it a total nightmare to wheel a carburated motor v.s. a fuel injected as far as on steep inclines and uneven terrain. let me know what your opinion is thanks

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,420 Posts
I would never want to follow you up a steep incline. I've seen soooooo many carb vehicles stall out going up inclines. Makes for some fast driver thinking and reaction, and for some nasty recovery situations.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
you answered your own question.

If you go with a 22r. go with propane!

x2 on the propane.......it will then act just like it is injected.

or you can swap EFI onto your 22r.....it is a pretty simple swap.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I'll put my propane againist any Early EFI model Toys on any angle. Even at extreme angle the early model EFI will stall out where my Pane won't. I wouldn't go back to carb unless I went to dual fuel.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I never had a problem with my carb on my 80 20r/22r hybrid, but i still prefer fuel injected just because its more efficient. And i hated pumping the gas pedal to get the carb started.

·
Premium Member
2,256 Posts
The 20R in my 79 is stock carbed. I wheeled the piss out of it this weekend, and the only issue I had was it loading up when pointing down hill. Engine braking in 4 low helped that. I even had the thing sideways at a 45 degree angle in a deep crack and it was idling the whole time I waited for the guy ahead of me to tug me out.

Yes, carbs are trickier to get just right, but once you know how to tune it, they're pretty solid.

Try to stay with a stock Aisin/Toyota carb if you can. Some guys like the webers, but I hear that they are a pain off camber and up hills.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts