TTORA Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some fun yesterday out at Prairie City in Sacramento, CA. . . . I was looking forward to checking out this OHV park for a while. It had some nice rocks and steep hills to play on. . . . a nice change of pace since all we have are snow trails around here in Fresno right now. . . .

Like most OHV parks, it’s not really as fulfilling as being on a good trail out in the mountains. But at least I could do some rock-crawling instead of snow-wheelin for a change. . . .

The only thing is that I couldn’t air down my tires because I forgot to bring my Power Tank and I didn’t want to get back on the street with low PSI. . . . So I just did what I could on 35PSI. . . .

I started by exploring some of the little trails. . . They had some fun little hills. . .

Then I went on to check out the rock piles. . . . Of course, I had to get the poser shot. . . .

I figured I’d see if I could crawl over the whole length of the rock pile. . . .

Just for fun, I decided to take some video clips. . . . But I was out there alone for most of the time so there was no camera man. . . . I just kept putting the camera on a any flat rock I saw in front of me and let it run. . . . So here’s a little video I put together highlighting some of the fun. . . .

http://s79.photobucket.com/albums/j160/Revivalist/06-My Truck/02-Off-Road Trips/07-Prairie City 4-07/?action=view&current=PraireCitymovie100mb.flv

Unfortunately the end of the day didn’t turn out so good. . . . . After playing on the rock pile, we decided to go climb the stair-steps hill obstacle. (Unfortunately I didn’t take a picture of it.) . . . On my first try up the stair-step hill I BLEW UP MY REAR DIFF!!. . . .

It happened while I was rolling backwards. I was trying to back up so I could get a little more momentum. While I was backing up the rear starting bouncing a bit, and then one of the rear wheels fell in a little rut and suddenly I heard "SNAP"! . . . . I was in the lowest gear. So I think that falling in the hole put a sudden forward torque on the wheel but the drive shaft wouldn’t budge in the low gear so the ring & pinion gave out instead. . . . I’ll be pulling out the 3rd member tonight and taking it over to Marlin Crawler. . . .

Speaking of, I remember him telling me once that the R&P gears are always weaker going in reverse for the rear differential. . . . I guess I should have been more careful to go veeery slowly while backing down the hill. . . . .Live and learn I guess. :rolleyes: . . .

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
you think your rear diff wouldn't have blown up if it were 4.88 or 4.56? I heard the 5.29 are weaker, i'd be interested to see what Marlin has to say.

·
Registered
779 Posts
nice..bad ending are you goint to make it to barney riley??

·
Registered
779 Posts
how the hell fast were you going in reverse!?!?!?

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow! You guys sure reply fast! :)

you think your rear diff wouldn't have blown up if it were 4.88 or 4.56? I heard the 5.29 are weaker, i'd be interested to see what Marlin has to say.
That's exactly what I was thinking. . . . I know some guys who won't even touch 5.29s because of strength issues. . . . But with running 37" tires on the street, 4.88s would just be too bogged down. . . . I'm gonna ask Marlin tomorrow what he thinks might be the reason for the breakage. . .
nice..bad ending are you goint to make it to barney riley??
Where and when?
Take some pics of the gears when you pull the 3rd member.
Will do tonight.
how the hell fast were you going in reverse!?!?!?
It's hard to judge how fast I was going backwards downhilll. . . . I would say maybe 5-10mph, definitely not 15mph. The thing is that the rear started bouncing. After the loud bang I head a series of smaller clap sounds. The guys standing near by said that the sounds were just the leaf packs spreading and clapping . . . but I know the first sound was the rear diff. . .

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
wheeling alone?? A smart person would never do that.

I guess that gay Jesus fish thing on your truck didn't help ya when it came to the rear end.

·
Registered
779 Posts
don't be dissing gay jesus fishes... one might come up and eat you one day Andy.. I am guessing I have found one of your pet peeves? wittle fishies? hmm i mightneed to buy you a darwin fish instead... how long would it take you to notice I slapped it on your FJ??

·
Registered
779 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Hey Revivalist,

I'm in the Fresno area, this summer we will have to put together a trip up to bald mt. or coyote sometime. It's good to see other God fearing believers wheeling also, no offense to anyone who is not, but its good to see people who are true to who they are.

I'm just getting into wheeling, I have always loved driving back on fire roads and trails but have never had the rig to do anything more technical than that. But that is soon changing. Love your rig by the way!

PM me a few weeks in advance if you ever what to wheel, can't say that I will always accept (busy with full time job, marriage and masters program) but I will am always open for an invite. My brother-in-law loves to wheel also he has a jeep that is locked front and rear on 33" so he gets around pretty well himself.

Anyways, good luck with replacing the gears!

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
I'm in the Fresno area, this summer we will have to put together a trip up to bald mt. or coyote sometime.
TTORA had three or four trips as a club last summer. I wouldn't attempt Coyote Lake unless you know what you are doing. Its no walk in the park.

·
Registered
597 Posts
TTORA had three or four trips as a club last summer. I wouldn't attempt Coyote Lake unless you know what you are doing. Its no walk in the park.
I haven't been, so I'm not talking from experience, but what I have heard must be true. What I have heard is that Coyote used to be a pretty moderate trail until the past 10 years or so but it has got increasingly difficult. Have you wheeled Coyote long enough to see the changes or is it pretty much the same difficulty as it has always been?

Thanks for the heads up though, I know I have a lot more wheeling to do on moderate trails before I get me and my rig in over my head.

·
Banned
3,446 Posts
I've wheeled it all the way through once. I was on 32s with one locker and full armor. Got a couple of small dents, but those could have been avoided.

Judging by pictures, it looks like it got a little easier in the last couple of years. I did notice that they closed the bypass to the 'gatekeeper' last time I was at Red Lake.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
Paul, I was talking to Rob recently, and we're wanting to setup a run once summer comes around up in your area, think you'll be running 4x4 by then?

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
ya let me know when you plan on running red lake or west...both really good trails, and bald mtn.....anytime...we go south a lot...grandma's house is there.. been a bit since I have done bald mtn....wanting to get back and do it again, I'll let ya know when I head that way..might be end of may-early june..chirs..are you going to join us next weekend out of sac, and sorry that I didn't see your post about Prairie City in Sacramento, this weekend, I or we so would of made a trip out to play.....this is our last trip out..

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, the carnage report is in . . .

I just got through pulling the 3rd member and axle shafts. . . . It turned out that the rear passenger axle shaft snapped. . . .

It always amazes me how those things snap off so smooth. . . .

The 3rd member seemed to be ok except the adjusting wheel was a bit warped and the broken piece of the axle needed to be slipped out. . .

From what I can tell, the r&p gears seem alright also. . .

I'll take everything over to Marlin's tomorrow morning and see what he says. I'm thinking that maybe I need to get some chromoly shafts for the rear. I would rather not have to repeat that experience again. . . .

·
Registered
717 Posts
that sucks! at least you dont have to take it to get geared again.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I just would like to know if you drove it or towed it from Praerie to Fresno?

That notch in your carrier preload adjuster is where your axle was riding while you were driving around with it snapped- as in if you drove it very far like that you may need new bearings on that side and are damn lucky you didn't lose the wheel.

·
Registered
779 Posts
next time just stick to dirtbiking at prairie city...

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.