TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A bunch of us went to the snow this past weekend and were all doing just fine until it was getting deeper and we were having to break the trail. My Taco didn't seem to like that too much. Any tips to make this any easier.
Ryan

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Airing down makes a huge difference, I usually go to 10PSi. Lockers are a huge help and as long as the snow isn't really deep, chains will give you a ton of traction but will dig so be careful not to bury yourself. Other than that, momentum is your friend when going uphill but not down, especially when you're sliding backwards. I always go prepared to spend the night and I assume I'll fall in at least one puddle or river so I bring extra clothes.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
I just went wheeling in the snow last weekend. Front and rear lockers with Mud tires got me almost anywhere I wanted to go... Last year when I went the snow was even deeper... I let the tires down to about 10psi and cruised over everything.

I equate driving in snow to driving on loose fine sand... Now driving on ice is a different story LOL!

Yogi

Big_Red said:
A bunch of us went to the snow this past weekend and were all doing just fine until it was getting deeper and we were having to break the trail. My Taco didn't seem to like that too much. Any tips to make this any easier.
Ryan

·
Random Dude
1,043 Posts
I agree with yogi. It's a lot like driving in sand. In the sand, however, it's hard to get a 4wd stuck except on a hill. In the snow you can get a 4wd stuck on perfectly flat ground.

The key to breaking trail is to either go fast, or really slow. Fast gives you momentum to cruise through parts you otherwise wouldn't make. Slow let's you feel yourself about to get stuck before you do and gives you a chance to back up. If you're alone (don't be stupid) slow is probably your best bet.

Having shovels and multiple people to use them is very helpful.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Y'all suck! ;) The only snow I will get to see this year was that in Chicago at Thanksgiving, and I didn't even get to drive. Ooops, almost forgot about Andy's scenic route through altitude at TO.

I will probably see some spring snow in Eastern Europe for work, but if I get to drive, it will be limited to an econo-box. :mad:

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
You should come North, this was the scene last weekend up here and it hasn't even started to snow yet. (photo and hosting courtesy of Rob, aka Mudferret)

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Very nice indeed.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Honestly???
Snow wheelin sucks. And I'm talking about snow that's 10" deep.

http://www.lieblweb.com/Temporary/ChrisinSnow.jpg

http://www.lieblweb.com/Temporary/ThreeinSnow.jpg

This is probably the deepest and coldest snow I've wheeled in. It was very cold and icy also. Requires A LOT of momentum to get over stuff which also means, you're bouncin and putting the rig through a lot of abuse.

Going up what would seem to be an access road with a very very slight incline, there were icey ruts that we drove in the whole way. About 3/4 of the way to the top, i started loosing speed. I was on the gas the whole time. The tires were just spining away (locked front & rear). Next thing I know.....I'm sliding backwards. About 100 yards backwards. Brakes ain't helpin ya either. Just hold on and wait....

THANK GOD for those ruts....cuz it kept my ass on the trail.

Needless to say, that experience has made me want to stay at home and sip hot chocolate by the fire!
:D

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Janster said:
Honestly???

This is probably the deepest and coldest snow I've wheeled in. It was very cold and icy also. Requires A LOT of momentum to get over stuff which also means, you're bouncin and putting the rig through a lot of abuse.

Going up what would seem to be an access road with a very very slight incline, there were icey ruts that we drove in the whole way. About 3/4 of the way to the top, i started loosing speed. I was on the gas the whole time. The tires were just spining away (locked front & rear). Next thing I know.....I'm sliding backwards. About 100 yards backwards. Brakes ain't helpin ya either. Just hold on and wait....

Needless to say, that experience has made me want to stay at home and sip hot chocolate by the fire!
You're nuts! I prefer winter wheeling to summer. Make's even the easy trails fun.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Gotta say, this is some of the best advice I've seen on this site. You answered several questions I had, before I asked them . Awesome. It's a shame I am from Hawaii, I don't like the cold much at all, though my kids want me to go up and get my truck stuck in snow so they can laugh at me.....

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Murderman said:
Y'all suck! ;) The only snow I will get to see this year was that in Chicago at Thanksgiving, and I didn't even get to drive. Ooops, almost forgot about Andy's scenic route through altitude at TO.

I will probably see some spring snow in Eastern Europe for work, but if I get to drive, it will be limited to an econo-box. :mad:
it hasnt snowed here in birmingham in around 4 years or anything that actually stuck to the ground, i would love for it to snow so i could go on a snow run for once :D, Im like you i onlly see it when i travel for work and then i have some bull shit mini car to drive around :(

·
Registered
793 Posts
Janster said:
Honestly???

Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
892 Posts
SteveO said:
You're nuts! I prefer winter wheeling to summer. Make's even the easy trails fun.
Have you ever experienced a situation where you've LOST CONTROL of your rig??? Driving on hard packed snow/ice can screw you ....and without you even thinking about it. It can be dangerous.

I like having full control of my rig at all times. And when shit happens, I know I can blame myself for it - and learn from it.

And yeah..wheeling in snow (5 inches or whatever) is cake. I'm talking deep snow and ice wheeling that can be dangerous.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Sure, I lose control almost everytime we go out, that's what keepis it interesting. After doing it so often you figure out what will make you lose it and what you can make it through. That's part of the challenge. Nothing says fun like sliding backwards down a cutline hoping you stay in the ruts around the corner. ...Steve

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
SteveO said:
Sure, I lose control almost everytime we go out, that's what keepis it interesting. After doing it so often you figure out what will make you lose it and what you can make it through. That's part of the challenge. Nothing says fun like sliding backwards down a cutline hoping you stay in the ruts around the corner. ...Steve
I triple dog dare you to try and lose controls when you've got your chains on!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You have to be very careful about using your brakes on downhills - best not to use them if you can avoid it. Going downhill and braking tends to break traction and wheels locked up doesn't matter, momentum takes over.

I *tapped* my brakes on an ice-over-snow downhill and freaked as the truck slid and the right front tire went off the trail - it was in the air. My rear tires caught a rut that saved me from going about 200 ft straight down into a creek. Had to get winched backwards via multiple snatchblocks from a vehicle in front of me, on Boggers w/ no air pressure just so he could come partway up the hill.

Never again.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
About this Discussion
21 Replies
16 Participants
KRYPTO(dale)
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing