TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys just signed up here but i was wondering if any of the dallas area guys would be interested in going out ot 360 on sunday. i feel the more the merrier. lots of crawlers out there having fun, nothing to crazy.

matt.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
You might want to make sure it is legal before wheeling out there. a lot of the dallas guys would love to go out there but without something in writing showing that it is legal, then we are staying away. if you see a cop when you're out there, talk to him and make sure it is legal. get his name and badge number so if there is any problems in the future you will have some proof that you did what you could to find that it was legal.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i have not had any problems going out there the past 3 times i've been out there, and have never seen cops out there. i had heard it used to be a big problem, but have had no trouble being out there the past few times.

i'll be out there though, noon on sunday.

matt.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
well if you see a cop, ask him about the legality and get his information. i know of a bunch of people who would go out there but don't want to mess with any possible trespassing problems

·
Registered
28 Posts
Sorry I'm new but I have to ask two questions:

a. Where is 360?

b. Can my 2wd prerunner go out there? BTW, I DO NOT have a locker. It's on the wish list following graduation.

Thanks guys.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
4wd only really.

heres the beef. a friend of mine tried to drop in on the arlington side of it and as soon as he got off the road a cop made him come out and told him that he couldnt go in the arlington part, but anywhere else was fine.

matt.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
See Matt? That's the problem.

Nobody wants to be told that they can't do something, or that what they're doing is wrong.

Your first reply was basically "I snuck in 3 times and never got caught"... that's how you rationalize that it's okay.

The other rationaliziation is "Other people go and they haven't been caught".

Neither of those work for us- because the law simply states that without express (i.e. written) permission from the landownwer, you are trespassing.

The responisble wheelers who subscribe to Tread Lightly! and do not care to assume the risks of that deal will not be going out with you until there is a way to ascertain ownership and secure permission.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Sunday 3/11/07 I talked to Sargeant James Carver badge# 47762 of the Tarrant county sheriffs dept. Sergeant Carver is a friend, neighbor, and fellow U.S. Navy reservist that patrols the north/east sector of Tarrant county which encompasses the 360 offroad area. Our discussion was concerning offroading in the 360/Trinity River Industrial Development area (as it is officially known).
The area boundaries are defined as the land plot adjacent to both sides of the Trinity river at the SH-360 crossing, extending 3.3 miles along the Trinity river from both sides of SH-360, and extending 2.1 miles from the river banks on both sides of the river.
Trespassing on foot or motorized conveyance in any of the defined areas is illegal and can will be enforced, enforcement is at the viewing officers discretion. Enforcement can range from summons to appear in court for trial, arrest, impound of any motorized vehicle in the defined area, or a warning to vacate the properties.
Property ownership is made up of private and public buisinesses, private owners, and public property. There are 19 legal property owners and 4 quick claim deed property owners.
All registered owners would have to grant permission for access to the site, and a notarized copy of the access permission would need to be submitted to each of the law enforcement enteties before the property could be accessed.
The site boarders the cities of Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Fort Worth. And is totally encompassed by Tarrant county. Enforcing jurisdictions are Texas DPS, Tarrant County Sheriff, Fort worth P.D., Grand Prairie P.D., and Arlington P.D.
Officer Carver summed it up as "dont trespass in this area, there are some bad elements using it for illegal activities (drug trade, and stolen vehicle dumping) and some days the enforcing jurisdictions get tired of complaints and clean house".
In 2006 there were 327 trespassing citations written, 96 vehicles impounded (18 offroaders, the rest were stolen recoveries), 27 arrests of trespassers, and 2 dead bodies recovered from this area.
Sargeant Carver is an avid ATV rider and wont even ride his own bikes in this area due to the issues with ownership and law enforcement.

·
Registered
532 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Sunday 3/11/07 I talked to Sargeant James Carver badge# 47762 of the Tarrant county sheriffs dept. Sergeant Carver is a friend, neighbor, and fellow U.S. Navy reservist that patrols the north/east sector of Tarrant county which encompasses the 360 offroad area. Our discussion was concerning offroading in the 360/Trinity River Industrial Development area (as it is officially known).
The area boundaries are defined as the land plot adjacent to both sides of the Trinity river at the SH-360 crossing, extending 3.3 miles along the Trinity river from both sides of SH-360, and extending 2.1 miles from the river banks on both sides of the river.
Trespassing on foot or motorized conveyance in any of the defined areas is illegal and can will be enforced, enforcement is at the viewing officers discretion. Enforcement can range from summons to appear in court for trial, arrest, impound of any motorized vehicle in the defined area, or a warning to vacate the properties.
Property ownership is made up of private and public buisinesses, private owners, and public property. There are 19 legal property owners and 4 quick claim deed property owners.
All registered owners would have to grant permission for access to the site, and a notarized copy of the access permission would need to be submitted to each of the law enforcement enteties before the property could be accessed.
The site boarders the cities of Arlington, Grand Prairie, and Fort Worth. And is totally encompassed by Tarrant county. Enforcing jurisdictions are Texas DPS, Tarrant County Sheriff, Fort worth P.D., Grand Prairie P.D., and Arlington P.D.
Officer Carver summed it up as "dont trespass in this area, there are some bad elements using it for illegal activities (drug trade, and stolen vehicle dumping) and some days the enforcing jurisdictions get tired of complaints and clean house".
In 2006 there were 327 trespassing citations written, 96 vehicles impounded (18 offroaders, the rest were stolen recoveries), 27 arrests of trespassers, and 2 dead bodies recovered from this area.
Sargeant Carver is an avid ATV rider and wont even ride his own bikes in this area due to the issues with ownership and law enforcement.
clear as mud.

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
tbplus10 said:
Wow! I knew it was bad, but not that bad! :eek:

I'm going to repost this on TTR with your permission, it will be a sticky in the Trails section.

Thank you very much for your efforts Tim. :)

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
valkyrie said:
Wow! I knew it was bad, but not that bad! :eek:

I'm going to repost this on TTR with your permission, it will be a sticky in the Trails section.

Thank you very much for your efforts Tim. :)
Thanks, all I did was ask a question about what now appears to be a sore spot with local law enforcement. I believe he was under the impression our club offroads in this area. I had to endure a 90 minute verbal spanking about trespassing. Afterward I explained my interest and assured him I would spread the word amoung offroad groups we associate with about not using this particular area.
Sergeant Carver did tell me about local places that are either publicly or privately owned where the owners have given permission for people to use ATV's and trucks on. I brought him a county map this morning and he's going to mark it up for me.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hey not sure if anybody goes down to Mansfield but I was out there for some surveillance and right off of (I wanna say) TX-360 there's a couple areas that look like they have potential for wheelin. Not sure of the exact location, but I know for sure it's past Joe Pool Lake.

Basically, the highway divides into two, and in between them are a couple of hills that have tracks going up them. It looks like only 4wd would be able to hack it.

I was just wondering if anybody knew about that area, if I'm down there again, I'll take a few pics.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
redtaco4 said:
I think he's talking about where just before 360 hits 287.
The corner of Ellis, Johnson, Tarrant counties
x2. Thats where my neighbor rides, I'm not sure how big the area is. It's supposed to be one of the "legal" places to offroad. It's only about 4 miles from my house but I have'nt stopped by to check it out yet.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Yeah it's right before 360 and 287 meet. Does anyone know for sure if it's legal or not? My only concern is that it sits right between the divided highway, so I'm not exactly sure.

Anywho, I may have to check this out later on in the week because it's slowly going to get to me. I think there's a high school pretty close to it so there's probably a lot of kiddos out there as well.

I dunno, the whole point is that DFW has very few places to wheel.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
tacoma02pr said:
Yeah it's right before 360 and 287 meet. Does anyone know for sure if it's legal or not? My only concern is that it sits right between the divided highway, so I'm not exactly sure.

Anywho, I may have to check this out later on in the week because it's slowly going to get to me. I think there's a high school pretty close to it so there's probably a lot of kiddos out there as well.

I dunno, the whole point is that DFW has very few places to wheel.
If your headed south on 360 theres another spot a little farther down, its on the east side of the road (not in the divided section). It's public property, as per my neighbor (Tarrant county sheriff) its legal to offroad here. But if you create problems (throwing trash, excessive noise) you'll be chased off. But only chased off they wont write tickets due to the fact you arent considered trespassing, just creating a public nuisance.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts