TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i just got back from a weekend trip to Corral canyon and some camping at lake morena. To my disappointment, Espinoza trail was closed. so i drive around that campground and look for somewhere i can go wheeling. i end up at bobcat meadow campground and then i keep driving and finally find a trail to venture off on. little did i know that it was Bronco Peak :eek:. the first obstacle was pretty easy. then it started getting a little harder. i have no idea how i even got through some of those places. but with some great spotting by my girlfriend i made it. the last part of the trail (dropping into the canyon) was where i got all the body damage. i know how all you guys love body damage so i've included a few pics of that and the trip. this was the first time taking my girlfriend of 3 years out on the trails and after this run, she says she is never getting back into my truck offroad. lol. this trip cost me broken cv joint, smashed in rocker panels, and a dented in cab side(the area behind the passenger side door) so enough with that, heres the pics...

Poser pic before hitting the trail

another poser pic on random rock pile (with the GF)

After these pics were taken the camera was put away because it started to get really hard. so... on to the carnage :doh:

Drivers side door (tree)

Drivers side rocker panel

Passenger side cab and rocker panel (fawking rocks!)

Drivers side CV joint (pic taken from the back)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yeah i know i need sliders. i wasn't planning on doing any hard stuff this weekend but the trail i wanted to go on was closed. i didn't know that was bronco peak either. by the time i figured out which trail it was, it was too late to turn around. i was actually going to be ordering some sliders from CBI this coming up weekend once i got paid. i guess i went wheeling a week too soon...:xsmash:

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
nice pics, thanks for posting. by the way, some folks in this board might enjoy body damage on a trail only rig, but dude, you have a nice/clean truck there. Nice rig!

as others stated above, now you have an excuse to justify the purchase of rock sliders.;)

For what I've seen, besides rocks sliders and armor, wheeling over rocks requires a significant amount of wheeling skills and experience. I'm not there yet....

But i do have rock sliders:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
The good news is that your truck is white. It's not that hard to find a decent matching gloss white to get it looking decent from 5' away. It's much harder when your wheeling a lunar mist, impulse red, etc.

To wheel with 90% of ttora you just need buildbuilt skids, sliders, and a rear locker. That will get you pretty far.

(Oh yeah, you'll want a cb too)

·
Registered
456 Posts
nice pic's!! My girl is the same way, and I took her on some easy trails out in Valley Of The Moon (just a little more East on the 8 from Morena).

X2 on white trucks.

It's always good to walk a trail if you don't know what that trail is too. Short 10 minute walk on a trail has saved me from venturing a couple of times when wheeling alone.

·
Registered
238 Posts
good lookin rig, carnage included. Just think with how much money and time your going to put into body repairs you could have purchased sliders from 4xinnovations. I just purchased mine last week (still havent arrived) but for 135 which included gussets and plates its an awesome deal. Time to break out the welder. :welder:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i guess its good that my best friend's dad owns an auto collision repair shop. :D he lets me do all my work for my truck in his shop and allows me to use his lifts and all his tools. i've known him for 8 years and have worked in the shop repairing body damage for about 5 of them so i'll be getting the work done for really cheap. i'm only going to be repairing the passenger side cab (i've already got the dents out by taking all the interior plastic off and pounding it out), the drivers side door, and the Front cv joint. i can't really do anything about the rocker panels, can i :confused: ??? so now i'm going to be ordering a pair of sliders by the end of this week. i'm just trying to decide between bolt on or welded on.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i have a question about the cv joint in the picture i posted above. it was clicking when i put pressure on it on the trail and it was still turning while climbing even though all that grease was coming out. does that mean its not broken and just may need to be re-packed with grease? BUT it is still clicking while driving on the road. so maybe it is broken? can it be broken and still turn?:confused:

·
Registered
449 Posts
They click when they are about to die. However, given that you're so low on grease it might be worth just repacking it, replacing the boot, and seeing how it does.

I carry around a spare CV because it's a pretty common broken part. If that one still clicks after you fix the boot/grease I'd get a new one and keep that as a spare.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
ok thanks!

·
Cracker
5,648 Posts
To add to your lessons learned:
1. Don't wheel alone if you are fairly inexperienced or in unfamiliar territory.
2. Pack/Dress prepared for more than you expect... i.e. your "spotter" wearing safety sandals in the rocks.
3. Leave an itinerary with someone and stick to it- that's how they find you if you get hurt/injured.
4. Wheeling without protecting the things you like about your truck get you exactly what you ask for.
5. Learn about your truck, what the common failures are, and prepare your self to deal with them knowledgeably and competently.

Looks like beautiful country... :)

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
good lookin rig, carnage included. Just think with how much money and time your going to put into body repairs you could have purchased sliders from 4xinnovations. :welder:
X2. good product, great service and adam is a great guy to deal with.

I bought mine with the kickout. Here's a pic that shows how far the kick out sticks in these sliders:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts