TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, my wife and I are about two adopt one, possibly two kids in the next six months, but we have a decision to make. The Taco only really seats two people, especially with the fact that we have suspenion seats up front that don't fold down. My rig is pretty much built to do anything at this point, but with a family on the way it will become totally impractical for "family" wheeling unless .. . . . here are my two options . . .

#1 Keep the Taco, cut out the back of the cab, cage the bed, install the extra seats and call it done.

#2 Sell the Taco, buy an older 4Runner that is already built (crawler, 37s and stuff).

What do you think? I really am at a loss as I built the Taco from the ground up so I know everything it can do.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
5,094 Posts
ive got a 1990 sr5 sas'd 4 door runner on 37's, 155k miles, 3.0v6 5speed, sliders, bumpers, winch, big lights, big stereo, red in color, one small dent in left rear quater, pain is original and flawless, downey glass fenders, bud built xcross member, 5:29's
trade?

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No thanks, I'm eyeing one that is for sale here on the board, but the person I really have to convince is my wife. :)

Tim

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Thats why I have a doublecab, its the best of both worlds really. Same wheelbase as the ex cab, same basic parts, only lots of backseat room. The only real problem is that DC are more expensive. Its a shame youve already SAS your truck b/c if you had not you could have maybe converted it back to somewhat stock and sold it. Then bought a DC and put all of your old parts, crawler, supension, etc. on the DC. I guess you could still go that route only sell yours as a SAS rig but it will be a lot of work and you'd basicly be starting over with your new rig.

The unfortunate thing is that once you do all of the conversions like SAS, crawler, roll cage, etc. the truck is virtually worthless to anyone except a hard-core wheeler, who is not generally going to pay anywhere near what its really worth. I went through the exact same scenario three years ago with my FJ40, built it up, and then sold it for a loss to get the taco so my family could enjoy it too. In the end you have to do whats best for your family, because if you dont keep them in mind you may end up with a mini van and not able to wheel at all.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
In the grand sceme of things I would say you will be much happier with the kids than you ever would have been with any rig, no matter how cool it was/ is. We all get emotionally attached to our rigs because of all the blood, sweat, and tears we've put into them. In the end though they are easily replaced and somewhat quickly forgotten, whereas family members are not.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get a 4Runner. My dad took us out wheeling in it all the time when we were kids. They fit awesome and can do anything a taco can do... basically. It sucks to have to give up your baby, but a truck for a couple of children that you guys will love forever isn't that bad of a sacrifice.

BTW. Early congrats on the adoption if it works out for you two, kids are great fun and really interesting to take offroading.

·
Registered
2,612 Posts
I was in the same shape a couple years ago. I was going to graft the cab and bed together with the back of cab cut out, Built a cage for the whole thing and find a dbl cab camper since mine was bobed. Bolt a couple seats in the back and ride.

Well I didnt do it fast enough and the wife made me sell it and buy something bigger with 4 seats. I ended up with a 1985 4Runner its ok but im always wishing I still had my Tacoma. I say do the Tacoma.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys for all of your help and opinions. Swapping the cab just isn't an option right now as I can put a bunch more money into this rig, plus I have no desire to go through the wiring nightmare that Steve had to go through to get his done. At this point, I might just have to sell it.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
BeepSolis said:
Get a 4Runner. My dad took us out wheeling in it all the time when we were kids. They fit awesome and can do anything a taco can do... basically. It sucks to have to give up your baby, but a truck for a couple of children that you guys will love forever isn't that bad of a sacrifice.

BTW. Early congrats on the adoption if it works out for you two, kids are great fun and really interesting to take offroading.

Thanks for the congrats!! We are really excited!!

Tim

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Ah I got the fucking stupid screen names mixed up again.
WTF is with this screen name bullshit any way? WTF is wrong with your name anyway. I could understand if you were a boy named Sue or something. Otherwise what's it good for except for hiding maybe. I already know were your sorry ass lives so it won't help in your case. I'll tell anyone that asks, especailly that guy that's been lookin to punch your lights out. LOL

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
You will always be the Dick... screename, given name, or otherwise. ;)

The screename thing is to test our memory; is there a problem in this area for you? :D

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
Timbuddha said:
#1 Keep the Taco, cut out the back of the cab, cage the bed, install the extra seats and call it done.

#2 Sell the Taco, buy an older 4Runner that is already built (crawler, 37s and stuff).

What do you think? I really am at a loss as I built the Taco from the ground up so I know everything it can do.

Thanks,
Tim
If I had the finances and I was in your shoes I would sell your current rig and buy a double cab. Then I would have the joy of collecting parts and doing everything all over again for another sac. From what I recall Yogi took that route.

That is why I decided to purchase a d-cab after my extra cab was totaled.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
14 Participants
my2coma
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing