TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I only drive my truck about once a week, 96 v6 auto. If it is below 30 degrees my truck will not idle on its own at first start up. I have to regulate the rpms with the gas pedal for the first 20 seconds or it will die and not restart for several minutes. After that 20 seconds it will bump up the idle to 1500 or so to get the emissions equip up to operating temp.

The battery is old and needs to be replaced, however it does crank it over. Was going to clean MAF with some electrical contact cleaner. The fuel filter probally needs replaced also, but could that cause this problem that is undectable once the truck gets warmed up?

I did read through the post about hard start which reuired a new wiring harness for the newer trucks but this problem is different.

thanks for any help :confused:

·
Registered
294 Posts
BUMP for ya

I get almost the same problem on my 2.7L at cold startup
Turns over fine, starts for several seconds and then dies. Mine always starts right back up on the second try, idle kicks up, and she runs fine. Just never keeps running the first round... Brand new Optima and fuel filter too

·
Registered
565 Posts
You can get red tops at costco for $99.99.
They are regular post, but easy to adapt.

·
Registered
294 Posts
The__Dude said:
how much was the optima (red top?) I was thinking of getting one but damn they expensive.
Got my at Sears for $119 [had a gift cert from our bowling adventure:cool:] Also, all they had were the reg posts--- Just have to extend the wire leading to your fuse box a few inches... Your sooo freaking awesome at wiring, maybe you should find the correct one though!?! :lmao:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
fixed
Fuel filter did nothing but was cheap and easy. Had sears price match costco for 99.99 optima (thanks) cleaned maf and throttle body problem is gone thanks everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts