TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all my specs:

1998 Tacoma Ext Cab, 4x4, V6, Manual Tranny, factroy e-locker, 150,000 miles. Maintained regularly. Original clutch.

This happens off and on, not very consistant, it seems it will go for a week or so without doing it and then it will start doing it again. When coming to a stop at under 10 mph whether in gear or not, if i feather the brakes in and out sometimes my truck will all the sudden stop, as if the rear end just locked up. The tires will chirp just a little and the truck will sway forward and backward. I have never experienced this in any other vehicle. I don't have any other issues with my clutch or transmission, but this is really starting to iritate me. Is it my clutch grabbing all the sudden? Could it be my rear end?

Any ideas?!?

Luke

·
Registered
553 Posts
these are nothing but ideas, but when was the last time you changed brakes?

It kinda sounds like the brakes are catching, as if something were loose around the calipers or whatnot... you hit the brakes, it turns just enough that it grabs on its own, (chinese finger trap idea) and then breaks free...

Make any sense? or am I just rambling?

·
Registered
351 Posts
First thing that came to mind is a bad BPV (brake proportioning valve). Causing too much braking going to the rear wheels. I'm sure someone else will chime in.

·
Registered
395 Posts
I had a similer thing happen in my '98 TRD. Turned out to be the cup for the rear brake shoe locking up one of the rear wheels. Lickily for me it didn't damage the drums or anything. Just got some new shoes from Toyota and a spring kit from carquest. (Toyota sells their springs piece by piece and $$$). Time to pull the rear tires and drums to see.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
swanky868 said:
First of all my specs:

1998 Tacoma Ext Cab, 4x4, V6, Manual Tranny, factroy e-locker, 150,000 miles. Maintained regularly. Original clutch.

This happens off and on, not very consistant, it seems it will go for a week or so without doing it and then it will start doing it again. When coming to a stop at under 10 mph whether in gear or not, if i feather the brakes in and out sometimes my truck will all the sudden stop, as if the rear end just locked up. The tires will chirp just a little and the truck will sway forward and backward. I have never experienced this in any other vehicle. I don't have any other issues with my clutch or transmission, but this is really starting to iritate me. Is it my clutch grabbing all the sudden? Could it be my rear end?

Any ideas?!?

Luke
I hope you've had some brake work done at that mileage. But your problem is very common and is known as axle-wrap. Why don't you do a search on 'axle-wrap' before someone does some serious flaming upon you my friend. Just my :2cents:

OK, no flaming in this section, I must remember. Sorry.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update

I forgot to also mention it seems to do it more often when it is cold not to say it never does it when its warm. And another issue that happens is that sometimes when it locks up and the truck shakes to a halt, when I go to take off its like the emergency brake is fully engaged and when I give it just enough gas all the sudden something brakes loose. I have researched axle wrap and just wanted to be thorough about everything. Tonight I'm going to regrease all my drive train and the spline and see if that helps.

One other thing awhile ago I checked the rear brakes as I though there might be a frozen shoe to the drum or something, the only thing that was wrong was that there was brake fluid leaking on one. However when I looked into it there was no tear in the brake cylinder at all, like I thought there would be, so I cleaned it off and put the drum back on. Guess I'll have to check that again. Anyways, thanks for the thoughts!

Oh and my truck has stock suspension and tires.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:bump:

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
swanky868 said:
I forgot to also mention it seems to do it more often when it is cold not to say it never does it when its warm. And another issue that happens is that sometimes when it locks up and the truck shakes to a halt, when I go to take off its like the emergency brake is fully engaged and when I give it just enough gas all the sudden something brakes loose. I have researched axle wrap and just wanted to be thorough about everything. Tonight I'm going to regrease all my drive train and the spline and see if that helps.

One other thing awhile ago I checked the rear brakes as I though there might be a frozen shoe to the drum or something, the only thing that was wrong was that there was brake fluid leaking on one. However when I looked into it there was no tear in the brake cylinder at all, like I thought there would be, so I cleaned it off and put the drum back on. Guess I'll have to check that again. Anyways, thanks for the thoughts!

Oh and my truck has stock suspension and tires.
You did all this and didn't change your rear brake shoes? Man, when brake fluid gets on them they are completely contaiminated. You did good by going into them and looking, now go in there and replace that shit! OH, and do a search on brake line flushing/bleeding and make sure your brake lines are tight or you'll be right back here bitchin about the same thing. Sounds like to me you know what you are doing. Don't be too bashful. Jump in there!

·
Registered
266 Posts
My 02 did the same thing when it was cold out. First stop or two in the morning. I got in the habit of dragging the brakes for about 50ft before I got to the first stop sign. Did it from the first day I had it, and I bought it new. I just lived with it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yamataco

Did it ever go away? Or are you still living with it.

Thanks for the replies everyone, appreciate it.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My specs, all stock suspension (150,000mi)

So my rear leafs have gotten worse since this reoccurring problem of axle wrap, they are completely flat. I'm going to be upgrading my suspension to SAW 2.0 or 2.5 and a deaver pack this summer or fall after I get money saved up. I want to fix this problem temporarily, as it is a big problem, almost every stop sign it is jerking to a stop.

I've searched for fixes it seems that my options are:

1) AAL
2) Used leaf pack
3) Traction bar

However, I'm looking to cure this without spending a lot of money as I will essentially be throwing it away when it comes down the road and I upgrade. Any thoughts?!? Thanks

Luke

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
trac bar will still work with deavers

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for your response. I'm thinking this through so even with a 3" lift in the back the traction bar will work? That seems right since the distance from the traction bar support to the rear axle isn't changing just the height, am i correct in thinking this? And that would mean it would also work with a Dakar leaf pack correct? I'm still in between the two leaf packs as to which I will get.

I'm going to search for what traction bar everyone has been using. With the traction bars are you welding the pillow block support on to the axle or is it bolted with u bolts? and how do most traction bars mount on the other side to the frame of the truck? Thanks for all your help, appreciate it!

Luke

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Help!

Okay, drove my truck today and the axle wrap has got significantly worse, don't want to drive it for risk of ruining my drivetrain.

I'm looking into the EMU Dakar leaf pack and was wondering how the truck will handle with stock suspension up front and the Dakar leaf pack and 5125 bils out back? Will it be horrible to set like this until summer? All suggestions taken, but don't have much money to spend just trying to get my truck to where I'm not putting added strain on the driveline with all this axlewrap.

I need to order this today so to get here by the weekend else I won't have a car to drive to work next week. Let me know if anyone knows...TRDparts4u doesn't have a clue in regards to this. Thanks!

Luke

·
Registered
395 Posts
Is the rear axle seal still leaking? I've never experienced this type of axle wrap. Do you use the clutch to slow down or just put in neutral and use the brakes. If you use the clutch, it could be the clutch warped a bit.

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
When looking at my rear leaves they are completely flat. Now that it is doing it consistently let me again explain, more clearly what it is doing. It doesn't matter whether the truck is in neutral or gear or whether the clutch is engaged or not. It happens only when coming to a stop, whether using the brakes or coasting. I can almost everytime get it to do it when coming slowly over a slight incline and stopping, like when coming out of a parking lot -- maybe because it is causing more movement in the already bound up driveline?

Given that the truck has 150,000 miles and the previous owner used to haul a 3 ft dredge in the bed quite often (which has to weigh about 500-600 lbs.), I just came to the conclusion that it must be weak leaves causing axle wrap. Let me know what you all think. I know that it seems like I've explained this in several different ways but now that it is consistent that is what I'm experiencing. I'm hopefully planning on putting in an order of the following to tide me over til summer when I have more money to do it right (ie saws). Thanks for everyones responses, even though they are few.

OME Dakar Leaf pack
Bilstein 5150
2-1/2" spacer lift (i know, i know)

Luke

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:bump: for your thoughts

·
Registered
597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
taco_infection
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing