TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
96 ext with 4cyl 2.7 @140,000 When should I change the timing chain? Is this somthing I should wait for, dont fix until needs to be thing? I know to do the water pump at this time also. Is there anyhting else that I should change besides the normal tune up stuff? Thanks

·
Registered
983 Posts
The timing chain, gears, guides and tensioners are considered life time items by Toyota, and only inspected/replaced when the engine is torn down for major maintenance.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,421 Posts
When I replaced my 2.7L engine at 235k miles, the timing chain and guides were in great condition. Too bad the head developed cracks or I'd still be running that engine.

No need to replace the timing chain unless it starts making noise or hitting the case. Same with the water pump. The 2.7L water pumps are really reliable and should only need to be replaced if they are leaking.

·
Registered
395 Posts
As said above, no need to change the timing chain or water pump. The guides on the 22r/e engines would break at about where you're at or a bit longer, (mine broke at 170k or so,) but on the newer engines, they last much longer. Just go till the thing makes noise, and the water pump starts leaking out the weep hole. If it was a 3.0 or 3.4, you'd need to change all that mess with the timing belt, but the chain is much longer lived.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Fix it when it breaks?

What about replacing parts at regularly scheduled service intervals, as in proactive maintenance?

:welder:
OK... when do you suggest I replace my frame? :D

·
Registered
395 Posts
Fix it when it breaks?

What about replacing parts at regularly scheduled service intervals, as in proactive maintenance?

I suppose you could fix it before it breaks, but yo'd be wasting money. Neither of these things will leave you stranded if you're paying attention to your vehicle, as in look under the hood every so often and listen to it and not the stereo. I replaced my timing chain and set up after the guides broke but before it wore a hole in the timing cover. I got the most use out of it I could. Same thing with my water pump. Once I noticed it leaking, I replaced it. Didn't have to walk down the shoulder of the road either time.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
OK... when do you suggest I replace my frame? :D
With what I've seen from "salt" damage to vehicles from up north that I've had to work on for customers...in about 2 years. :D

I suppose you could fix it before it breaks, but yo'd be wasting money. Neither of these things will leave you stranded if you're paying attention to your vehicle, as in look under the hood every so often and listen to it and not the stereo. I replaced my timing chain and set up after the guides broke but before it wore a hole in the timing cover. I got the most use out of it I could. Same thing with my water pump. Once I noticed it leaking, I replaced it. Didn't have to walk down the shoulder of the road either time.
Proactive maintenance is wasting money...I will respectfully disagree and leave it at that...as fixing it AFTER it breaks is not paying attention in my opinion and allows broken items to cause other directly related issues in the long run.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If only we were all soo fortunate.

One day my friend.. one day.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Hmm... interesting about the virus. I haven't actually been to that site in like 6 months so sorry about that. I actually called the place that I ordered it from over the phone and placed my order in person since the site I ordered it from didn't have a web-storefront interface.

That rust product is freakin awesome though. I went to town when I put it on my truck... spending a half a week straight working on sanding the entire frame down so that it was properly prepped(bed removed and stuff so I could get inside the frame rails and all the hidden spots where rust could emenate from, as well as fuel tank).

I did the same thing last year using Rustoleum... 3 months later the frame was all rusty. Those 3 months were also summer months, not even salt-exposed winter months. This year, I did it with the MasterSeries paint and there isn't even a single spec of rust anywhere. It looks as good as the day I painted it, despite the fact that it just went through a whole winter of salt-spray and winter New England Roadways carnage. It also didn't scrape up at all whenever I've taken the truck through dirt and mud and drag it through the deep stuff(I don't rock climb though, so I'm sure that would tear it up).

Very very highly recommend this stuff... but only to those who are willing to spend the time and effort to do it right and be real meticulous about your work and are willing to put forth the effort to adhere to their multi-step application process and paint mixing guidelines. If the quick and dirty style is more your game.. then just stick with some easy-spray on anti-rust paint that will only do a marginal job at preventing oxidation. The Masterseries will not disappoint you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks everyone.

·
Registered
822 Posts
96 ext with 4cyl 2.7 @140,000 When should I change the timing chain? Is this somthing I should wait for, dont fix until needs to be thing? I know to do the water pump at this time also. Is there anyhting else that I should change besides the normal tune up stuff? Thanks
i did mine at 242000 it really didnt need it though but i was concerned about the head gasket going.

·
Registered
96 Posts
its not the chain you have to be concerned with!......... its the plastic guides that go first. long before the chain.

might as well replace the chain when you replace the guides. they go bad first! and end up in your oil pan. not unusual for the guides to go bad at 125k

Toyota recommends replacing the chain and the guides at 100k. Dont let the chain bang around for too long it can wear thru the cover and the waterpump. You dont want water in your oil.

·
Registered
96 Posts
The timing chain, gears, guides and tensioners are considered life time items by Toyota, and only inspected/replaced when the engine is torn down for major maintenance.
respectfully......
where do you get that? maybe if you consider "life" at 150k

you must be refering to the newer 4 cyl engines w/ metal guides.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts