TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Clutch was done with AISIN kit at 140K miles but it was proactive, no signs of trouble.
I'm at 228K now.
I don't want it to fail on me suddenly. Do they fail entirely without notice? How's 100K miles on an AISIN kit?
I had a Porsche 944 and the clutch failed suddenly and completely on a road... but every year the taco is way off grid and needs to be reliable.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Clutch was done with AISIN kit at 140K miles but it was proactive, no signs of trouble.
I'm at 228K now.
I don't want it to fail on me suddenly. Do they fail entirely without notice? How's 100K miles on an AISIN kit?
I had a Porsche 944 and the clutch failed suddenly and completely on a road... but every year the taco is way off grid and needs to be reliable.
I replaced my 2011 Tacoma clutch at 195,xxx mi. because the throw out bearing seized. Still had plenty of grab but would slip when towing and accelerated hard to get to freeway speed.
All that to say, you are probably being over cautious. Can’t say why your Porsche clutch failed suddenly but would assume that it was a failure not worn out.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I replaced my 2011 Tacoma clutch at 195,xxx mi. because the throw out bearing seized. Still had plenty of grab but would slip when towing and accelerated hard to get to freeway speed.
All that to say, you are probably being over cautious. Can’t say why your Porsche clutch failed suddenly but would assume that it was a failure not worn out.
You're correct it was a failure, I dropped the clutch hard and it exploded. Today I noticed some oil around the clutch housing which I assume is the RMS so that can't be good...
Does a leaking RMS affect clutch life?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Often times no it does not. Not to say it can’t but if the rear main is leaking, the majority if not all of the oil will be spun off the engine side of the flywheel and never even touch the clutch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
I'm still on the original clutch in my 02 at 214k miles. Not that it doesn't need to be replaced, but it hasn't failed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts