TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All too often I see people using a impact wrench tightening down lug nuts. This is a very easy way to break or at least weaken your wheel studs. You should ALWAYS use a torque wrench. You can even break them by hand. The FSM for my Tacoma specifies 85ft lbs on lugs. It is possible to turn them a lot more than that but the Toyota gods say 85. As a rule of thumb I only use my impact wrench to loosen stubborn nuts and bolts. You can use it to turn things up until it stops free spinning, when it makes its first "impact" it means its time to get out the torque wrench. It seems humorous to me that the gods have torque specs for everything, but they do. I have a fairly inexpensive torque wrench ($90) they are not cheap and you get what you pay for. I got the half inch drive so I can always step down. There are three types, dial indicator (used for precise measurement, I use them on submarines, we don't want anything breaking down there.), mechanical indicator (dumbed down not very accurate) and snap type(set the desired torque and turn til it snaps) this is the type I have. So do yourself and your truck a favor and invest in one! Also, no lateral extensions allowed (cheater bars, pipes) you can only extend straight down from the drive portion without using one of these equations to correct your torque.
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/renderers/torquewrench/wrench_formula_main_en.asp
Good luck and happy wrenching!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Same here. Break the lug nuts on the ground. JAck it up and use the impact.

Thread on by hand, then impact for a couple rachets, then torque wrench.

I use the smallest wrench possible to keep from having too much leverage. I torque everything. I have a problem with over tightening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
if you REALLY want to go all the way. drive it around the block and turn left and right, brake and accelerate, then torque em again haha. Gettin' out the torque wrench and tightening random things sometimes yields some scary results. Yesterday I discovered a bolt on my leaf mount was hand tight!

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
if you REALLY want to go all the way. drive it around the block and turn left and right, brake and accelerate, then torque em again haha. Gettin' out the torque wrench and tightening random things sometimes yields some scary results. Yesterday I discovered a bolt on my leaf mount was hand tight!
I take my torque wrench with me when I get new tires mounted. Last time at Costco I wanted them to see me check with my wrench.

They were good...Lucky for them:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have heard mixed reviews about costco for tires, my dad went there and they left his old valve inside the wheel when they put the tire on and replaced it. They also won't install any size beyond stock will they?

I like to test shops as well, I ask the car guys if my cabin filter needs replacement.(first gens have no cabin filter)Or shortly after replacing my air filter ask them if its still good. I found one place that knows that I work on my truck so they are pretty good to me and don't lie haha.

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
FWIW, never use a torque wrench to get to the desired value. Get it as close as you can by other means, then use the TW to finish it off...

But hella cool story bro...

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just manual tighten them on a P/U truck. Not bothering to haul a torque wrench with me into the woods. And, not bothering to go home and torque them after wheeling out of the woods.

As to the impact........ I spin lugs on our 56-80K chassis'...... and I don't just use an impact gun. I use a 1" impact gun fed by a 3/4" hose.

They gots to be a bit tighter than the Tacoma studs........:rolleyes:

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
I'll use an air tool for lug nut removal...
but never for installing lug nuts.
Tho' using that just to spin them on the studs.
prolly not an issue unless they cross thread.

If the lug nuts are over torqued...
there's a chance of warping the front rotors.
The Rr. drums are somewhat more stout...
but those could warp as well, if the lugs are overtightened.

Warping doesn't usually occur just from over torquing...
It is usually something aggravated by heat cycles.

The correct lug tightness is a critical thing IMO
I use 84 ft/lbs. never had issue...

Even tho' I now have Brembo blanks for rotors.
I still have my original (100K use) rotors and they're still true.
^prolly could use a light machining tho'

·
NorCal Chapter Pres
12,206 Posts
Just set your sorghum on the lower setting and after one or two hits, finish off with a torque wrench. You'll only get to 50ftlbs if you're lucky...

·
Registered
508 Posts
I usually use my impact to put on my lug nuts, I just use a torque stick.

·
The Satanic Panic
609 Posts
I know some people don't use anything like Snap on or Ingersoll, but Ive steered more into their cordless impact drivers (1/2" and 3/8" drive), and they have a lot of power, but you can also finesse bolts in versus a pneumatic. Especially the Titanium Ingersoll which I had to get rid of because it just had too much power as soon as you hit the trigger. Torque wrenches I use for crucial dimensions or wherever theres a required torque sequence, i.e cylinder heads, flywheel, etc.

Obviously you don't want to go crazy with an impact on smaller cars, but I work on trucks quite a bit so I use them regularly

1 - 16 of 16 Posts