TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I want to take the boots off my CV's and repack them with grease.

Anyone know where I can get grease compatible with the OEM Stuff that Toyota uses from the factory(Doing inner and outer boots, but my main concern is outer)?

I didn't see it listed on TRDParts4U.com and I don't want to have to clean out all the grease that's already in there since I won't be removing the Hub, just repacking the boots and don't want to worry about grease compatibility issues with any grease that's already in there.

I did a little search and some other threads had it listed as part numbers 200-0075 and 200-0075 for the 2 types of grease packets, both of which I could not find on TRDParts4U's database by those part numbers. I also called Toyota and they only sell the stuff there with the boot rebuild kits, which I don't need since my boots aren't torn.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
partyman66 said:
I want to take the boots off my CV's and repack them with grease.

Anyone know where I can get grease compatible with the OEM Stuff that Toyota uses from the factory(Doing inner and outer boots, but my main concern is outer)?

I didn't see it listed on TRDParts4U.com and I don't want to have to clean out all the grease that's already in there since I won't be removing the Hub, just repacking the boots and don't want to worry about grease compatibility issues with any grease that's already in there.

I did a little search and some other threads had it listed as part numbers 200-0075 and 200-0075 for the 2 types of grease packets, both of which I could not find on TRDParts4U's database by those part numbers. I also called Toyota and they only sell the stuff there with the boot rebuild kits, which I don't need since my boots aren't torn.
you don't see it often because unless your boots have lost all their grease there is no reason to 'repack' them. And, in that case the loss of grease is usually due to boot failure so they must be replaced...hense the boot kits that come with grease and clamps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,730 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They aren't leaking, but I want to repack them with grease so I can write dry CV joints as being the cause of this weird front-end noise my truck has been making lately. I have only had my truck for like 12K miles, and it's been making this noise a lot in winter cold(even a little last year when I first got it)... but it's gotten a lot worse lately, so I need to find the cause of it before something breaks.

I checked my wheel bearings this weekend by lifting the front wheels and checking for play while applying opposite pressure at 6 and 12'oclock, and they didn't budge even the slightest bit. I did however notice some minor noise when I spun my lifted front wheels. Nothing major though. I guess what I need to do is see if that noise that I heard goes away when the truck is fully warmed up after a 20 minute drive or so... since my weird drivetrain noise seems to go away when it's warmed up(or at least used to a few months ago).
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
partyman66 said:
They aren't leaking, but I want to repack them with grease so I can write dry CV joints as being the cause of this weird front-end noise my truck has been making lately. I have only had my truck for like 12K miles, and it's been making this noise a lot in winter cold(even a little last year when I first got it)... but it's gotten a lot worse lately, so I need to find the cause of it before something breaks.

I checked my wheel bearings this weekend by lifting the front wheels and checking for play while applying opposite pressure at 6 and 12'oclock, and they didn't budge even the slightest bit. I did however notice some minor noise when I spun my lifted front wheels. Nothing major though. I guess what I need to do is see if that noise that I heard goes away when the truck is fully warmed up after a 20 minute drive or so... since my weird drivetrain noise seems to go away when it's warmed up(or at least used to a few months ago).
unless those things have lost all their grease (highly unlikely) they will not be the cause of your noise. The point is that repacking them is a waste of time unless you are swapping boots.

but, if you insist...any parts house will have the grease in small tubes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
341 Posts
Toyota sells boot kits with grease, clamps and boots. They use different grease for the outer and inners. Not sure if its different grease, or just a different tube.
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
psycho said:
Toyota sells boot kits with grease, clamps and boots. They use different grease for the outer and inners. Not sure if its different grease, or just a different tube.
different grease
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
599 Posts
So what kind of grease do you use? I bought some semi synthetic grease from AutoZone that said it's good for CV boots. Will this work?
 

·
Going John Galt
Joined
·
31,839 Posts
So what kind of grease do you use? I bought some semi synthetic grease from AutoZone that said it's good for CV boots. Will this work?
there are two different greases used in CVs so make sure you get both if you are planning on changing both. Outers get the black stuff and inners get the brown.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
About this Discussion
7 Replies
4 Participants
hytenor
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing
Top