TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
on a 01-04 bodystyle taco

In a few months, i will be installing a train horn. Thats means i need to take up as little space as possible to mount this PA speaker. Its like 8X6 wide and prolly 8 or 6 inches deep. Where can i mount the speaker? Will there be enough room behind the grill? What if i get an aftermarket grill? I figure it needs to be up around the engine bay so when i yell at people they can hear me better... I dont wanna mount it under the bed when im yellin at someone in front of me... :D

·
Registered
75 Posts
Muddin taco2131 said:
on a 01-04 bodystyle taco

In a few months, i will be installing a train horn. Thats means i need to take up as little space as possible to mount this PA speaker. Its like 8X6 wide and prolly 8 or 6 inches deep. Where can i mount the speaker? Will there be enough room behind the grill? What if i get an aftermarket grill? I figure it needs to be up around the engine bay so when i yell at people they can hear me better... I dont wanna mount it under the bed when im yellin at someone in front of me... :D
The best place for you to mount the speaker is on the passenger side floor, pointing up at 60 degrees, and back (towards the left-hand side) about 34.8 degrees. That way when you yell at people, the ones that need to hear you will. LOL.

·
Registered
602 Posts
There are several places you can mount a PA. I had mine mounted in the open area of the engine bay behind my air box. I moved it, however, because most of the sound became trapped in the engine bay. The best place that I've found is in your bumper (if it's still stock). There are some holes already drilled that are easy to mount it in. This way the speaker faces forward and the sound isn't bouncing around. I'll take pictures later if you'd like, truck is at the shop getting a hole in the radiator patched.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
please do

·
Registered
602 Posts
View from under the truck. This is on the drivers side near the plastic part of a stock bumper. You can see the stock skid plate on the right and my brush guard bar on the left. You can run a bolt (I used an eye bolt) through one of those holes there and mount using the holes on the base of your PA.
[/IMG]

[/IMG]

View from the front. Thats the front lincense plate on the left. The sound comes out pretty clearly. Guys I work with can hear it an across an acre of land (square acre), so it works well.

Muddin taco2131 said:
please do

I wouldn't expect anything as loud as a police PA unless you get something with an amp.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
seth_js said:
On the passenger wheel well is where I currently have mine. If I can ever get off my lazy ass I'll move it somewhere behind the grill facing out.

THat is where I have mine. I will be relocating to near the bumper like this other guy. Do you have any problems with water and shorting out or something?

·
Registered
602 Posts
No, no problems with water or shorting out or anything. Most of the PA's out there are pretty weather proof. I drove through a couple feet of standing water at about 20mph back in a down pour in October and had no problems at all. A little dirt and dust gets in there, if that concerns you buy some cheap stockings from Wal-mart and put it over the speaker with a hose clamp. But like I said, most of the PA speakers out there are pretty durable. I bought mine off ebay and it's doing fine over a year later. The only way I could see a problem is if you parked in water.

·
Registered
169 Posts
well I dont know which PA system you have but the one I installed fizzled out after a very mild water cross at barnwell the weekend after I installed it :(

1 - 11 of 11 Posts