TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in the LA/OC area and was wondering where you buy your steel tubing and plates from to build bumpers?

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Schorr metals in Placentia on Kraemer blvd. 91 fwy, Kraemer exit. Head north, on the left side about 2 miles up the road. Kraemer is between the 55 and the 57 fwy's.

·
Registered
636 Posts

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
anthonycoley said:
X2 for IMS. I shop at the one in Irvine.
IMS is good, but they are more expensive on almost everything than Schorr metals. Plus, Schorr has a much better surplus supply to shop through.

·
Registered
492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rojodiablo said:
IMS is good, but they are more expensive on almost everything than Schorr metals. Plus, Schorr has a much better surplus supply to shop through.
Schorr that's the name. The last time I built a bumper was 4 years ago so I forgot the name of the store.

·
Registered
636 Posts
rojodiablo said:
Really? I know IMS is high, but I like that you can walk around and see their stock. It seems most places won't let you do that and most of the time I'm not exactly sure what I need/want until I see it...

I will check out Schorr for sure..

Thanks!

·
Registered
636 Posts
WHAT???? Are you kidding me????

I need to some 2x2 .120 square mild steel tubing so I decided to take rojodiablo advice and call Schorr metals for a quote. They quote me $43... for a 20" section and they will cut it for me. Sounds good to me, because I swear I remember seeing 10" sections at IMS for $43. I google Schorr metals for directions and I'm off....

I follow the directions and they are a complete bust! I drive around a bit looking for Schorr and I cannot find them and of course I don't have their number or remember the name to call 411, so I decide to go to IMS in Irvine.

I get to IMS and I have them price check the same thing (2x2 .120 mild steel tubing) and they want $5.<something> a foot. Did the math and that's over $100. Holy crap!!!!

Needless to say, on my next trip to Schorr metals to buy my 2x2 .120 square tubing I will be sure and take their number with me....

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Anthony- just remember, they are in PLACENTIA, not ANAHIEM or ORANGE. Directions for you: 55N-91W-Kraemer exit. Go NORTH. Approx. 4 miles, on left side. You will see giant chain/ pier piling posts in front of spanish tile roof/ tan stucco building. Schorr metas. And don't feel bad... I just got quoted $10.85 a ft. for SS for my Dodge. Let's see.... that's about $1085.00 in material alone, before I do a single thing with it....OWWWW!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts