TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day, someone was givin me a little crap about driving a foreign truck and that I should buy an American made one.
I thought I was told that the Tacoma was made in the states, but I don't know for sure.
Can anyone straighten me out?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I'm pretty sure they are assembled in Fremont CA,

·
Registered
7 Posts
Up until recently I know the 2005 Tacomas were being built in Fremont, CA. I do know that they are starting to produce them along with the truck beds out of a new facility in Mexico.

I wish I had the stats off of the Toyota commercial that talks about them being built here. Plus people need to get real Toyota could pull there manufacturing for the U.S. and it would put a hell of alot of people out of work.

All of the Tundras are built in Indiana as far as I was told.

Plus the American car companies need some good copetition to keep there product halfway decent.

·
Registered
565 Posts
Most are made in Freemont, CA.
However, some are now being made in Mexico. The plant in Mexico hope to produce ~30,000 this year.

·
Tacoma-dana 44
383 Posts
A smog tech told mine was made in Canada. Keep in mind that manufacturing here saves major shipping costs. I can't imagine how much Toyota has spent shipping cars across the Pacific, much less all the Japanese automakers.

Not that I'm complaining, I'm glad that Toyotas are made here.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
U.P.TRD said:
The other day, someone was givin me a little crap about driving a foreign truck and that I should buy an American made one.
I thought I was told that the Tacoma was made in the states, but I don't know for sure.
Hope it wasnt from someone driving a Canadien or Mexico made Ford, Dodge, or Chevy truck!!!

Tim

·
Registered
1,379 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
are all tacoma's made in cali, or just the 2005's? Where were the 2001-2004's made?

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
There is soon to be a plant opening up in San Antonio. I know they are still builind it now.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Don't listen to anyone who talks about their Ford or GM or DCX being built here in the U.S. or in North America, as it's really not true anymore. Parts are made all around the globe. While a majority may be made here, which I doubt, many parts are made in the Far East, Europe, and elsewhere. Assembled in the U.S. is more accurate, but is true for all of the trucks.

·
Registered
74 Posts
The yet to be finished plant in San Antonio, as of now, will be for Tundras only. The NUMMI plant in California has built trucks before the Tacoma (Hilluxes) and also build a few car models.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
984 Posts
M3Man02 said:
are all tacoma's made in cali, or just the 2005's? Where were the 2001-2004's made?
Pickup production at NUMMI began with the introduction of the Tacoma series (95.5) and continues to this day... Tundras have always been assembled in Indiana.

The production of _some_ Tacos in Mexico started with the 2005 model year. This is the first time anything labeled 'Tacoma' has been assembled outside the USA.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Most of the parts for the Tacoma's come from U.S. suppliers. Japan supplies Engines & drive train parts and alot of the nuts and bolts and small trim pieces. The percentage of Japanese parts has benn shrinking. The plant in Mexico wil start making Tacoma's at some pointe.

Texas plant will build Tundras only to start, however most Toyota plants in north America make 3 vehicle types so they will expand at some future date.

·
Wile E. Coyote... Genius.
208 Posts
Just say what I do every time someone gives me crap about driving a "foreign" vehicle.

"When US vehicle manufacturers can make a vehicle as good as a Toyota, I'll buy it."

Pretty sure that will never happen.

American engineering sucks big wads compared to Japanese engineering when it comes to automobiles.

Jody.

·
Registered
552 Posts
The engines are made right here in my state of West Virginia in a small town called Buffalo. They employ allot of people and from what I hear they are great to work for and treat there emplyees and familys with allot of respect.

·
Registered
296 Posts
U.P.TRD said:
You know, I read your post and was thinking "this person has to be from Michigan". I always say that they are just as "made" in the us as any american vehicle is, I also like to find that person that rips on my foreign truck and really rub it in their face when theirs is broke down. By far the best one i've gotten is people telling me that buying toyota is making american's lose their jobs. Lots of my family works for the Big 3 and when I hear stories about the quality of employees in the UAW (I know there's some that do work hard) I just can't understand why anyone would want to buy from the big 3.

·
Premium Member
12,934 Posts
Tacoma assembly is done at the NUMMI plant in Fremont, CA. In 2005 some of the assembly will be moved to Mexico. The frames are made by Dana in Sacramento, the cab is stamped at NUMMI in Fremont and the beds were until recently produced in Long Beach, CA, but now Mexico. The radiator and now the whole heater and AC systems are done by Delphi. Delphi is largely in Kokomo Indiana but has facilities all over the globe. Most of the electrical and electronics are Nippon Denso a Japanese tier one supplier that also supplies alternators etc. to Ford. Renault owns most of Nissan and Valeo, a French tier 1 supplier like Delphi, supplies a lot of items for Nissans and others automotive OEMs too. There is no such thing as an American car or any other nationally produced car for that matter. Cars have probably the most globalized diversity in content makeup than any other product produced today. Have your friend consider the fact that Toyota Corollas and GM's GEOs were exactly the same car made on the very same line at the same time in Fremont, CA. Now it's some other car models but the mix is still there. Ford owns Volvo, Jaguar and many others. Remember the Ford Mazda connection? A Ford ranger for all practical purposes is a Mazda. BMW owns the Mini and I think Bently, Chrysler and Mitsubishi are now Daimler while GM owns Opel and has a hand in has a hand in Saab and Suburu.
The whole pot is in a constant state of turmoil and changes all the time. It looks like GM is about to be sold off at least in part to Toyota or someone else as the auto union has pretty much finished them off as an enterprise. Their commitments to healthcare plans and pensions have reduced GM to a combined HMO and Pension fund disguised as an auto manufacturer. The die is cast and the end is near for them, I fear that GM is lost. I'd almost bet that your friend is a pro union type because they are always pounding their chests proclaiming their patriotism and yelling "Buy American" while they do there utmost to chase American enterprise off shore for the sake of their own short term gain.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts