TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a post going regarding a gear change from 3.58 to 4.10's or maybe 4.30's. I have a 95.5 NonTRD 2.7 taco with 5 speed. Hytenor suggested I call Performance offroad center to get some help. Well I talked with them and they said Precision and Yukon do not make 4.30's for the taco and those were the only brands they deal with.

Anyone know what gear companies make 4.30's for the Taco? I know I can get them from my local dealer but get this They want $694.00 for the front and $746.00 for the rear ring and pinion!!!

There has got to be an aftermarket Gear company that makes 4.30's for the taco. Help point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I had another guy in a tundra looking for the same gears and was also quoted the same price and that was just for one set. Anyways, the only thing other than the dealer is by another owner with 4.30's selling theirs. Or checking local yards. He found no other company selling 4.30's. Worth a shot but, see who makes the gears for toyota. Then go directly to that company.

·
Registered
64 Posts
gears

Hey man, I'm down here in Pocatello, ID but I have to go through Missoula to see my sweetass ttora g/f in Moscow. I used to live in Missoula growing up but just wanted to let you know that I have my ADD front diff with 4.10's and the rear 4.10 ring gear out of my taco from my SAS for sale. The front diff needs new spider gears but I'd ask $100+shipping for everything. I don't know if you have ADD or manual hubs but if you do have manual hubs, this would be a great buy and you could install a front lockright instead of spider gears.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
I had a post going regarding a gear change from 3.58 to 4.10's or maybe 4.30's. I have a 95.5 NonTRD 2.7 taco with 5 speed. Hytenor suggested I call Performance offroad center to get some help. Well I talked with them and they said Precision and Yukon do not make 4.30's for the taco and those were the only brands they deal with.

Anyone know what gear companies make 4.30's for the Taco? I know I can get them from my local dealer but get this They want $694.00 for the front and $746.00 for the rear ring and pinion!!!

There has got to be an aftermarket Gear company that makes 4.30's for the taco. Help point me in the right direction.
No one makes aftermarket 4.30 gears. You can get 4:56's or 4:88;s. I have a set of 4:30 gears sitting in my garage, that come off a TRD rear end. Or so they said.

·
Administrator
18,281 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
Sorry to break the news to you. The only aftermarket gears made for Tacoma's is 4.56, 4.88 and 5.29. Find some used 4.30 gears on the board here (which are few and far between) or just buy some 4.56 gears.

What size tires do you plan on running?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
ShowStop said:
Find some used 4.30 gears on the board here (which are few and far between)
No $hit, I've been looking for some 4.30's for the Tundra.....had one guy offer a set for sale, but he wasn't the original owner and they looked a little questionalbe in the pics. Not taking any chances with my DD.

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
ShowStop said:
Sorry to break the news to you. The only aftermarket gears made for Tacoma's is 4.56, 4.88 and 5.29. Find some used 4.30 gears on the board here (which are few and far between) or just buy some 4.56 gears.

well, awlllll be. learned sumthin' new today ;)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ShowStop said:

I am running 31 10.50's now but may get 32's someday, I currently have the 3.58's. I would love to know who makes the Ring and Pinions for Toyota because you can get them brand new from the dealer I am just not willing to pay $649 for the front and $746 for the rear(4.30's that is).

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
I am running 31 10.50's now but may get 32's someday, I currently have the 3.58's. I would love to know who makes the Ring and Pinions for Toyota because you can get them brand new from the dealer I am just not willing to pay $649 for the front and $746 for the rear(4.30's that is).
have you checked with Chris for a price on those?
http://www.trdparts4u.com/

not that I'd pay even close to that for gears...;)

are you sure that's just for the R&P and not the entire diff?, LOL

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
hytenor said:

I checked with Chris K. for some 4.30's not too long ago......like $650 per axle. I told him all I wanted was the gears, not the entire axle! :eek:

·
Going John Galt
31,844 Posts
Murderman said:
I checked with Chris K. for some 4.30's not too long ago......like $650 per axle. I told him all I wanted was the gears, not the entire axle! :eek:
Hm, then the trick will be to find the mfg on those babies ;) Since there aren't too many of them out there it shouldn't be that hard.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
I need to check with Marlin; he gets his crawler gears cut by the same folks that do the factory Yoyo stuff.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hytenor said:

I sent them an e-mail yesterday and am waiting to hear back from them on a price. In the mean time I have been searching other Toyota Dealer parts sites and have found them for 500 something for the rear and 400 something for the front.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Murderman said:
I need to check with Marlin; he gets his crawler gears cut by the same folks that do the factory Yoyo stuff.
If you happen to find out who does the Ring and Pinions for Toyota let me know!! I find it crazy that there are so many Tacoma Ring and Pinion Ratios that are not available in the aftermarket.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Not only that, but the factory gears seem to hold up better as well. I have factory 4.10's in my TR that I have been running for almost 20 years....with a 4.3 Chevy in front of them and 35-38's behind them.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
brendog84cj8 said:
If you happen to find out who does the Ring and Pinions for Toyota let me know!! I find it crazy that there are so many Tacoma Ring and Pinion Ratios that are not available in the aftermarket.
Like what?

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
<like what?>

4.30's for sure, Paul.

·
Long lost Taco Owner
820 Posts
Murderman said:
<like what?>

4.30's for sure, Paul.
That is one gear set and not many. If you look at randy ring and pinion, it shows that you can get gears set from 4.10-5.71 (4.1, 4.56, 4.88, 5.29, 5.71). I am just trying to find out what he means by many.

·
Premium Member
800 Posts
Agreed that one is certainly not "many", but this is the one that some people need.....and options are limited.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ptrautne said:
Like what?
Well when I talked with Performance offroad Center they said all that was available in the aftermarket for Tacos were 4.56, 4.88. and 5.29. Also gear shop here locally in Missoula Montana (Inland truck parts) said the same thing. So unless someone knows where to find Gears other that the three listed in the aftermarket please let me know.

I have search for the 3.58's I have in the aftermarket and no one makes them, I have not been able to find 4.10's or 4.30's. Have not had any reason to look for 3.91's or what ever else was put in tacos.

If I am just not looking in the right places for aftermarket gears point me in the right direction. Gear manufacturer would be nice along with specific dealers for those manufacturers.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts