TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know its been asked before, probably many times.... Where is a good place to get small amounts of steel for garage/hobby work? I'm specifically interested in 16g steel sheet, but also basic steel like angle, bar, square, etc. in small quantities (and at decent prices of course...).

And if anyone has scrap or knows where some scrap can be found for cheap that works too.

·
7,735 Posts
for small quantities, I hit Ace, Jax and home depot/lowes, but it aint exactly cheep. I'm not even sure I want to know how much I got raped for. But for some reason, it's always a weekend when I realize I need/want some steel.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I get my scraps, $.50/lb, from K&K surplus which is just south of Hile High Flea Market. They not only sell scrap but also new materials. They will sell short cuts (like 5',6',10',12',18',20',24'). Their prices aren't great but if you only need 6' then it is the place to go. If I want full sticks/sheets then I go to Hinton Steel.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Dencol, but like Doug said, it's usually the weekend when I decide I need steel and they're only open during the week.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
K&K for all sorts of scrap, mostly...great for plate, strap, bar, and angle. They stock some new box tube and strap, dunno what else offhand. Found some great stuff there in the scrap bins.

Pretty sure I got my tube from Hinton. Very good prices. Not sure if they do anything except tube.

Haven't been to DenCol yet. What do they sell?

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
OOH thanks for the heads up all, as Troy and I need to go get more steel to make the winch a carrier and finish his project table!

So are all these steel places closed on the weekend? (Except K&K which is open sat morning till noon)

·
Registered
393 Posts
I know Fort Collins is a little far north, but Colorado Iron and Metal is a great place. We use them at work when we only need small pieces of plate or short sections of Tube. They are located on Mulberry, just west of Link Lane. I do believe they are open on Saturdays, and their prices are better than what you will Find at Home Depot, etc. Plus, they will cut you anything that you want for a very reasonable fee.

For aluminum, there is only one place to go. ALRECO in Brighton, right of 85 and 120th?. Bob knows anything and everything about aluminum and has remnants of almost any alloy and shape (at work we refer to his facility as the aluminum grave yard).

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks - good info here. I'm making a run to AAA metric tomorrow (central Denver), so I thought I might need to kill 2 birds. But it looks like I've got some good, local options for basic steel.

·
Registered
416 Posts
its a drive for you but tiger steel in fort collins is great place to buy steel and for cheap

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Another option

Broomfield Sheet Metal - just down the road from Rose in eastern Lafayette. I ended up getting my 16g from them on a referral from Rose. Their customer service sucked, so all I'll say is that its another option.

·
20,355 Posts
How was pricing? Most steel places that i have been to have been lacking on the service side.

·
7,735 Posts
Anybody know how that stacks up against other suppliers in the area? I know it's MUCH better than what I paid for my floor board stuff. I'm not surprised I paid more, but I'm surprised by how much more I paid.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts