TTORA Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
20,355 Posts
That pricing is cheaper than the place up here in the fort, and up here they only had 2'x2' sheets.

Makes me want to buy a sheet and redo some of the plating on my bumper.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
There's a place off of Hampden and federal on that little frontage road that parallels hampden can't remember the name but they were close to where I lived in Littleton.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Bump for k&k. I went there last Saturday and they had tons of 1 3/4" tube with 1.88 wall (not dom) and a bunch of angle and flat in their scrap section for $.50 per lb. The guys there were helpful, too.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just picked up a load of 1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing from Marmon/Keystone (near the Denver Upull on Broadway and 58th area) and they had killer prices. Their DOM price was cheaper then most of the other places HREW tubing price, in some cases by a fair margin. I got 100 feet (making a roll cage) so a single stick might be more expensive, and getting it cut down shorter or delivered will also increase price. Friendly nice people too.

JH

·
Registered
12 Posts
i go get my stuff at den-col and k&k i like and hate K&K because you can walk around and look at things and that is why i hate them 2 because as i walk around i think of more projects but that i don't need to start but because it is there i buy it. I guess it is nice i have extra stuff at the house that just sits around if i need it. I get a discount at den-col form the company i work for so hit me up if you want to get stuff there i might be able to help in the cost area.

·
Registered
13,296 Posts
Stolen from a building skids thread:

If you need to buy some new sheet then do what I did. I went to DenCol and had them shear the pieces that I needed. You only pay for the steel that you need plus the shear cost (~$5 per piece). They don't make you buy the whole sheet.
4x8x3/16 is 152$ at K&K, 1/8" is 112$, 1/4" is expensive but they have some long sections a little over 2' wide and maybe 5' long in surplus at the moment, going for about 75$.
K&K is great for short cuts and scrap but they are expensive for full sheets/sticks. I go to either Hinton Steel or DenCol. DenCol was $50 cheaper on my cuts. 5 pieces ranging in sizes: (all 3/16")
1-17x40, $30.05
1-24x40, $40.20
1-21x27, $25.99
1-16x28, $21.92
1-3x28, $6.56

Total: $124.72 + tax

This is the steel for my skids including the fuel tank.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I like K&K as well, real laid-back guy with tons of shorter pieces and odd but useful stuff. He also has larger stuff too...

I also buy at Adams City Steel. The trouble there is that you end up with big lengths of stuff unless you pay to have them cut it down. I am usually looking for smaller stuff myself, but I did by a 10' length of 3"x8", 1/4" steel box steel tube for my Unimog bumper, and it was $170 I think. It was so heavy I had trouble moving it. If that's the kind of thing your after, Adams has a LOT of it!

I am on the south side of the Denver area, so Adams is closest to me, and so I frequent them more often. Both places sell by the pound, so prices change with the market, and both have websites. I also have gone to body shops and picked up various things. McCandless does semi repairs and I have picked up a few pieces of huge stuff from them.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
This thread needs an update and a bump. I've been moon lighting some welding projects on the side so I'll post what I've found in the last couple months. FWIW, I deal with mostly structural square/rectangular tubing, cold rolled bar, and hot rolled plate. Not as much on round tubing and nothing scrap.

NOT Tube Service (that's what prompted this reply)! Their prices are a joke. Seriously, I expected a ridiculous price and actually chuckled on the phone when the lady gave me a price today. That's the 2nd time I've called them for a quote in the last month and won't bother again.

EMJ quoted me $104 on a full length of DOM (they only sell full lengths).

Tube Service came in at $117 for 40" (that's all I needed) or $210 for a full length (at $10.51/ft.) That's $82 for a cut!? Dencol charges $1.50/cut last time I checked, sure, different business model but whatever.

I've been getting a lot of material from EMJ, they sell DOM, HREW, structural tubing and Cold rolled but only sell full lengths. If I need partials of those, I go to Altitude, Dencol, K&K or Metal Supermarkets.

Altitude (Central Denver) has been a little bit higher in quoting but they're open on Saturday and I believe they are also a scrap yard (in addition to new).

K&K (Commerce City) is also open Saturday and are a scrap yard so if you get scrap it's cheap (in addition to new).

Metal Supermarkets (Wheatridge) stocks the most variety (everything) but they're small so if you need a lot of 1 size, they may not have it. Best prices lately. Closed weekends.

EMJ (North Denver) Closed weekends. Only sell full lengths. Best prices on what they sell (that means 12' on cold rolled and 20-24' on tubing).

PS. I design and build stuff if you need anything. Nothing automotive (it doesn't pay, it's rusty, it's messy and I have my own dumb truck that upsets me more than enough).

21 - 30 of 30 Posts