TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys i am looking for a place that sells the massive diameter bolts needed for my stock leaf springs bushings and upper shackle bushings? I have checked everywhere and no one seems to have the right bolts? what are you guys using for custom shackle hardware???

97 taco 2.7l 4wd

·
Registered
673 Posts
9/16 and 3/4 grade 8 hardware, with stover nuts.

·
Registered
719 Posts
14mm= .551"
9/16 = .563"

19mm = .748"
3/4" = .750"

Both should interchange

·
Registered
673 Posts
Damn gotta get all technical on me....

·
Registered
719 Posts
I threw the numbers up because if the upper bolt is 18mm, then 3/4 might not fit without drilling it out. If it's 19mm then it's only .002" off which is nothng. The 9/16 is .012 over but will probably fit.

I use flanged Stovers too. Turns out a 9/16 NFT stover fits a 14mm bolt. Same thread pitch and still snug. All-Pro uses them on their U-bolts and sells them separately ;) Really, any locking nut like a Nylock is fine. It's under no stress.

Teryx

·
Registered
673 Posts
I rattled a few nylocks loose, switched over to stovers haven't lost one yet...

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
I rattled a few nylocks loose, switched over to stovers haven't lost one yet...
how the heck did you do that?? yea, they can wear out with too many on/offs...and need replacing...but otherwise I see no way they can rattle loose. :confused:

on the flip side...I've lost Stovers and swapped them out for Nylocs :p
Nylocs seem to last longer then Stovers with the multi on/off issue...at least in my case.
When the nuts get to where you don't need much wrench pressure to get them on off they get replaced.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info guys, i was able to figure out the 9/16th 3/4th dealeo but i cnt seem to find bolts long enough? i have check lowes, home cheapo, ACE, thats about all i got around here where did you guys find your hardware locally?

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, i was able to figure out the 9/16th 3/4th dealeo but i cnt seem to find bolts long enough? i have check lowes, home cheapo, ACE, thats about all i got around here where did you guys find your hardware locally?
not long enough?? you must be looking in the wrong section. Both HD and OSH have gr8 bolts to at least 6"...way longer than you need for a shackle. I get most of my general gr8 hardware from OSH...anything 'special' I have a local bolt/nut company that either has or can get pretty much anything.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
not long enough?? you must be looking in the wrong section. Both HD and OSH have gr8 bolts to at least 6"...way longer than you need for a shackle. I get most of my general gr8 hardware from OSH...anything 'special' I have a local bolt/nut company that either has or can get pretty much anything.
OSH??? I was able to find 3/4 bolt at HD and a 9/16 bolt at Lowes. Then i had to go to ACE to find lock washers because neither hardware store where i bought the bolts had the nuts or washers to go along with them :confused:. Now i just need to find something for spacers down by the leaf springs, any ideas on what to use there guys??? I was originally thinking about a bunch of washers but that would look like shit.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
OSH??? I was able to find 3/4 bolt at HD and a 9/16 bolt at Lowes. Then i had to go to ACE to find lock washers because neither hardware store where i bought the bolts had the nuts or washers to go along with them :confused:. Now i just need to find something for spacers down by the leaf springs, any ideas on what to use there guys??? I was originally thinking about a bunch of washers but that would look like shit.
Orchard Supply Hardware...maybe you don't have one where you are

spacers?? all you should need are the bolts, flat washers and nyloc nuts...that's it.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Almost positive I lost em do to, to many on/offs. Lesson learned. Now I use stovers, and a little tack weld... Works wonderfully.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Orchard Supply Hardware...maybe you don't have one where you are

spacers?? all you should need are the bolts, flat washers and nyloc nuts...that's it.
My shackles look like this (see pic) so i will need spacers on the leaf spring end because i am using flat steel (no bend like in pics). :eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just so others know the 3/4 and 9/16 bolts do not fit... There was no way in hell they where ever going in so it looks like i am going to have to buy damn bolts freaking online soooooo ridiculous..

·
Registered
673 Posts
Really they didn't fit? That's what I replaced mine with...

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used 9/16 bolts for both, and made a stainless sleeve to bring the upper up to 18mm. I could probably be convinced to make another couple of them if you tell me what width you need. I got my bolts/nuts/washers from www.mcmaster.com, not cheap but you'll have them tomorrow.

edit: I also made some spacers like you mentioned to take into account that the stock shackles have an offset to them. I used some ballistic fab offset shackles but still needed ~1/4" more, hence the spacers. Again let me know what thickness and I can see what I can do.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts