TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im planning on doing an axle swap..im thinking of going with D44 but i was wondering where is a good place to find one cheap..and then i was wondering what you guys thought would be a good way to lift it..i want a 6 in suspension with a 3 in body...i would like to keep the price down but i would rather have quality products...could you give me roughly how much you think certain setups would cost...also what is all this SAS conversion talk? would that be something better for me to do?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
im planning on doing an axle swap..im thinking of going with D44 but i was wondering where is a good place to find one cheap..and then i was wondering what you guys thought would be a good way to lift it..i want a 6 in suspension with a 3 in body...i would like to keep the price down but i would rather have quality products...could you give me roughly how much you think certain setups would cost...also what is all this SAS conversion talk? would that be something better for me to do?
Junk yards are a good place to start! Just be aware that buying the axle is probably going to be the cheapest part of the whole project. Expect to spend $3000 on up depending on how much you do yourself. Lots of guys find that the trucks end up too tall with a body lift.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
39 Posts
SAS = Solid Axle Swap

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
toubabokoomi said:

check the junk yards, like mike said the axle will be the cheapest part, i think i paid 500 for a front hp D44 and rear D60, now my front axle alone has over 2100 bucks in it, as far as the lift, im not sure how much i have but i run the rancho 44044's and a 3" body lift and clear 39.5's with some fender surgery, so if dont want to run that big of a tire might want to go with stock waggy springs or something different. also if ya dont know what that the SAS process is composed up, ya may want to re-evaluate a few things and ask you self what you want to do with the truck (what kind of wheeling do you do?)

·
Registered
343 Posts
For some reason i don't think you are ready for sas, go to the regular message board and ask there that you want to lift your truck and what is the best way to do it, get something like coilovers or spacers and with the BL (body lift) you will happy,
solid axle swap its pretty much for those who had abuse the limit of an IFS (independant front suspencion) truck and they seek for more.
hope this helps.
Oz. :confused:

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
You need to do a lot more research before you jump into this thing... From the sounds of things, you are not ready for it.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oztaco said:
For some reason i don't think you are ready for sas, go to the regular message board and ask there that you want to lift your truck and what is the best way to do it, get something like coilovers or spacers and with the BL (body lift) you will happy,
solid axle swap its pretty much for those who had abuse the limit of an IFS (independant front suspencion) truck and they seek for more.
hope this helps.
Oz. :confused:

so you think i should just stay with the IFS suspension for now and wheel with it and if i break stuff then go to solid axle?? i want a 6 in lift will that weaken the IFS alot? i mostly do mud but i want to get into more rocks so for moderate trails will the IFS work fine?

·
norcal n00b
802 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
so you think i should just stay with the IFS suspension for now and wheel with it and if i break stuff then go to solid axle?? i want a 6 in lift will that weaken the IFS alot? i mostly do mud but i want to get into more rocks so for moderate trails will the IFS work fine?
For mud, moderate rocks and moderate trails, IFS should do you great. The solid axle is more for very hard trails and tougher rocks. You should be fine with IFS.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok thanks alot just wanted to make sure i dont lift it and then wish i had done a solid axle conversion later but sounds like ill be just fine with out it..

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
ok thanks alot just wanted to make sure i dont lift it and then wish i had done a solid axle conversion later but sounds like ill be just fine with out it..

you probably will want to do one later down the road, but like everyone has said its not a bolt on modification, it takes time and lots of money to do it right, sure you could probably do it in one day, and for under 2K bucks but then your shit will probably fall apart and you would end up spending an extra 2K bucks doing it right. everyone who has done it has pretty much went from somewhere around 6" of lift or something and spent some money on that, then had to sell it and start the swap process. the smart thing to do whould buy an 85 yota and lock up the axles and wheel the hell out of it.

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
toubabokoomi said:
Why do a 6" suspension and 3" body with a D44? Why not do a straight 9"? 6" is really low for cutting off your IFS. Research before you make a decision. I would recommend you stay IFS for a while. Learn how to be a better wheeler.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hombrepedo said:
Streight Axle Conversion. Your next.

:flipoff1: :flipoff2: :flipoff3:
Only if you are paying... :xmoon:

·
Registered
343 Posts
yes you might regreat it later on down the road but seems like you don't have that much experience 4wheeling so stick to the ifs for now, don't even bother lifting it that much do like a 3" lift kit and wheel it like that till you learn more and then you might get some more knowledge about wheeling and then you can decide if you want a solid axle or you might just like the sand dunes.
think about it and take your time, but is your $$$$ so its up to you.
Oz.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Brother, I spent almost 10 grand on IFS buildup before I went solid axle. I've been wheelin for 10 years so I have a bit of experience, but looking back I wish I went solid axle from the getgo......You need to wheel awhile to appreciate the need for sas like everyone is saying, but if you plan to spend some time wheelin,and love to do it every weekend, then you will reach the sas point,....I went with a 6 inch trail master lift kit and ran 33's for about a year with my taco then I swapped. If you have a way to lift it a bit and wheel the shit out of it, you will see why sas is a good idea and you'll be able to appreciate it.....also, you'll have some additional knowledge on it. I recommend SAS for everyone, but all these guys are right, you have to research and you have to prepare yourself for it....my 2 cents...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts