TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get the roof (from the bottom of the windshield frame up) of a tacoma extra cab?
I may not need it but I figured I'd start looking now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
PappaF2 said:
Anyone have any ideas where I might be able to get the roof (from the bottom of the windshield frame up) of a tacoma extra cab?
Yakima makes good stuff. Try a local bike/ski/canoe shop that sells them.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
PappaF2 said:

Hey Todd, FYI I am looking for a D-Cab body to put onto mine. So if you find one of those cheap, I'll buy that, and you can get my Extra Cab body.

Deal?

Steve

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Todd-
I know this isn't going to help, but what you really need to do is swap in a whole cab. My brother just flopped his 98 Taco on its lid bashing in the whole roof from the windsheild up and basiclly the body shops in town told us they wouldn't even fix it. It's too much of a liability for them and they don't want to be sued if it were to fail in the event that my brother rolled it. (very likely with the way he drives) So we went to insurance with it and they totaled out his truck and he is now the proud owner of a 93 extra cab with 35s. If it were me and I really wanted to keep the Taco, I would do a cab swap to a newer cab or even a double cab like Steve wants to do. Good luck my friend.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
tacoma_trd1999 said:
Yakima makes good stuff. Try a local bike/ski/canoe shop that sells them.
ya I am looking for the roof itself, mine is no longer straight.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Norcalvp said:
Hey Todd, FYI I am looking for a D-Cab body to put onto mine. So if you find one of those cheap, I'll buy that, and you can get my Extra Cab body.

Deal?

Steve
Hey steve, If I end up finding a double cab body I'll let you know. If I can't find a way to fix my roof before that happens that sounds like a good deal. ;)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Timbuddha said:
It's too much of a liability for them and they don't want to be sued if it were to fail in the event that my brother rolled it. .
Hey Tim,
Thanks for the info. I would rather swap the roof rather than the whole body as they I have to deal with all that drama of disasembly and reassembaly of the cab, but if I got a good deal on a cab, like finding steve a double cab :D , then I would do that. I am not too worried about the strength of the cab after the roof swap as the taco will recive a serving of tube in the form of an exocage.
But I am just putting the feelers out there to see if there are sources for a roof, I am still going to try to sraighten my A pillar out with some winching, pounding , and highlifting. :xbarf: Maybe I can get the door to seal as well as a new windshield. :confused:

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Norcalvp said:
So fess up, did you flop again? or roll alltogether?
flopped again. :( Remeber kids use common sense don't spin doughnuts in a tall lifted truck on uneven dirt. :eek: :( It was a really stupid manuver, I fawked up, thats all that can be said. Halfway through the doughnut I said to myself, this is gunna be bad. :eek: But on the bright side.... it could have been alot worse, it's still driveable.

·
Registered
828 Posts
glad you are ok todd......you get a hold of tap yet? they might be your best local bet even though i am sure they arent the most favored to use....

can you do your own body work on it? like tap and hammer out dents and make the lines straight or straighter?
so you can at least not have to deal leaks till you get a new roof

·
Registered
650 Posts
Jeff (silver flatbed coilover rig) had the body shop replace his after his flop.
can also call around the recyclers and see if they have a cut top. its pretty advanced body work to replace it, but so was a SAS back in the day...

·
Registered
296 Posts
when I had snow fall off of the roof of my house onto my tacoma I thought it was going to be a simple bump out of the dent and crossmember of the roof. It took them a few extra weeks and they had to replace my entire roof (which got rid of the one rust bubble I did have. So it is possible, probably a lot easier if you can let insurance take care of it rather than tackle it yourself, unless your good at body work and welding.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Anthony: Ya I am ok, I haven't contacted tap yet as I am still going to try to straiten the truck out with conventional and non conventional means first! :lmao: Maybe with enough massaging I can get everything ok again. The problem is that if I try to pull the pillar strait with the winch or push it out with the high lift I have to secure the truck from rolling as it takes alot of force to pull on that pillar which is spreading the load throughout itself and is in tension from being crushed. So far my resitance is futile! :mad:
We'll see I am going to keep workin on it.

Steve: I have now pics of the flop as I hopped out pretty quickly and got my truck yanked back onto all fours. I have some pics of the aftermath, which doesn't look that bad, but I will have to post them up after 2:00pm on monday.

Chuck: thanks for the reminder about jeffs replacement. Hopefully I can get it strait enough without it, but I'll have to wait and see...

sjvicker: hmmm the only part of bodywork I am good at is making my truck need more! :xbarf: Welding, well hmmmmm..... Thanks for the info ;)

·
Premium Member
1,805 Posts
Find a replacement cab and cut of your existing cab at the mid pillars and along the bottom sides and patch it into your existing cab.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Be careful man, the A-pillars and b-pillars play the main roll of structural integrity for the roof. We've only sectioned one roof before and had to go through some legal stuff while welding hte pillars to follow guidelines. i know you said you will be caging it but seriously, make sure you do it right if you do it for your own safety.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
CronusTRD said:
Find a replacement cab and cut of your existing cab at the mid pillars and along the bottom sides and patch it into your existing cab.
thats what I've been thinking.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts