TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was reading on another post about getting a set of Mil spec Uniball’s for my Camburg Arms. I just would like the squeaking to stop. I sprayed Teflon lube and it stops for about a mile or so. I rather just change the ball, rather than get new arms or put the stock ones back on. I have tried Camburg, and they were as much help as Fabtech was back when I had my Tacoma (2002 era). The person I spoke to had no clue what I was speaking about. I was told, well, the all squeak. I just want a quiet ride again.

·
Registered
273 Posts
The aircraft I used to work we only cleaned the uniballs and never lubed them.
They have a special liner that needs nothing except to be clean.
Adding lubricants will allow debris to stick to the ball. Sometimes the lube could also cause the liner to deteriorate.

Camburg has the balls listed on their site.

you can get stainless ptfe bearings from www.mcmastercarr.com
search for "rod end bearing" then do the drill down for what you need.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Call Kartek offroad in Corona Ca. ph-951.737.2999

·
Registered
32 Posts
I had a set of Camburg arms and the uniballs squeak like %$#^#^! I finally got another set of FK uniballs from Kartek and swapped them out (I paid $49.99 ea). Be sure to get the 2 in uniball snap ring as well. I had to thin the thickness of snap rings a wee bit, so it snaps in properly.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Try calling Camburg back and talking to Scott. He is always willing to help and im pretty sure he will know what you are talking about.
One quick question.....about how many miles do you have on your Camburg UCA'S? I also have them and have about 5000 miles on them and they are silent

http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=64441

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I had the squeaking problems with my Camburg UAC uniballs, I emailed and called Camburg about it and all they said was that it's normal......race truck noise as they put it; Camburg wasn't very helpful. Furthermore, when I ordered the FK uniballs from Kartek, they were very familiar with the problem on the Camburg uniballs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My only thought is that your new uniballs will most likely start to squeak again like the old ones. Mine are silent with about 5000 miles on them

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
squeeking Unis can be easily fixed with teflon spray.
use nothing else!!

·
Registered
279 Posts
squeeking Unis can be easily fixed with teflon spray.
use nothing else!!
the OP said that teflon spray only works for a few miles. Mine are silent and i want to keep them that way....any other ideas?

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
the OP said that teflon spray only works for a few miles. Mine are silent and i want to keep them that way....any other ideas?
I used it every few months or whenever they started squeeking.

the stuff is called Tri-Flow and comes in small, 4" tall cans

note: I noticed today while getting some stuff at the local store that the Tri-flow that they had did not have and Teflon or at least I didn't notice it stated on the can as mine does.

So, make sure you get the stuff that has Teflon in it...it will be clearly marked on the can "with Teflon"

·
Registered
279 Posts
Ok thanks

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
I clean mine out with a quick squirt from the garden hose.

·
Registered
279 Posts

note: I noticed today while getting some stuff at the local store that the Tri-flow that they had did not have and Teflon or at least I didn't notice it stated on the can as mine does.

So, make sure you get the stuff that has Teflon in it...it will be clearly marked on the can "with Teflon"
the can i got yesterday does not say teflon but it does say "Formulated with PTFE"....i think that is teflon.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
the can i got yesterday does not say teflon but it does say "Formulated with PTFE"....i think that is teflon.
I'm wondering if they stopped using the Teflon in their lube I found several sources that advertise it as "with Teflon", the same stuff that I bought a couple years back but the stuff in the store I found the other day didn't have any referance to Teflon. Tri-flow's site doesn't list it as an ingredient either.

The Uniball sleave/liner is made of Teflon which is why we came up with using a Teflon lube to quiet the squeaks. Other lubes will just attract dirt and cause premature wear to the sleave. DO NOT use any type of harsh degreaser like Carb cleaner on them!!! That stuff eats the Teflon liners...I know...ruined two of them

I tried searching and came up with this:
http://www.amazon.com/DuPont-Multi-U.../dp/B00030BFEW

http://www.bike-habit.com/store/inde...23e92720e18c61

http://www.utahmountainbiking.com/sh...ubricants.html

It appears the PTFE is, in fact, Teflon
http://www2.dupont.com/Teflon_Industrial/en_US/products/product_by_name/teflon_ptfe/index.html

·
Registered
279 Posts
the only thing that i am kinda worried about with the tri flow is that if it has somekind of solvent in it....what will that do. The Only reason i wonder is because on the can it says you can use it to loosen rusty parts. That DuPont spray lube looks like a good product to use in place of the triflow.

·
Eats Own Boogers
1,489 Posts
Won't just about any liquid that we might consider using attract dirt? Wouldn't any lube have some sort of "cling" characteristic to keep it where it's applied thus attracting various sorts of debris?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

I bought that Tri Flow. It works for about 10 miles, then they start once again. They were quiet for the the 1000 miles. I only have 1500 on the Lift. I only drive it when i have to now, since i cant stand it.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I had the squeaking problems with my Camburg UAC uniballs, I emailed and called Camburg about it and all they said was that it's normal......race truck noise as they put it; Camburg wasn't very helpful. Furthermore, when I ordered the FK uniballs from Kartek, they were very familiar with the problem on the Camburg uniballs.

I called them and email them. They are no help at all. They told me its normal.

I am screwed since i can't install the stock arms, since i destroyed the stock ball joints while removing them. You cant buy the ball joints for a 4Runner, you have to buy the entire arm at about 325 each. One of the Ball Joints is very loose.I bought the boots for them.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I use Tri-Flow as well to clean the uni's when they get dirty... works great. I think your problem is that you need more time for break-in. Mine used to do the EXACT same thing, then all of a sudden they stopped. I'd probably give it a good 3000-4000 miles... :2cents:

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
I called them and email them. They are no help at all. They told me its normal.

I am screwed since i can't install the stock arms, since i destroyed the stock ball joints while removing them. You cant buy the ball joints for a 4Runner, you have to buy the entire arm at about 325 each. One of the Ball Joints is very loose.I bought the boots for them.
Really? you can't just buy the balljoint assy for runners? Have you checked with Toy of Dallas or Shannon?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.