TTORA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, been out of the loop for a while but I'm going to be getting my 4wd working again and need a good shop for a front gear install. Possibly an arb also ;) SoCal is preferred

·
Registered
472 Posts
Just make sure that whatever shop you go to has a full supply of shims for Toyotas in stock. My gear job took an extra 3 days because they needed to order more shims for my front diff.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Yotamasters is quite popular.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Off road warehouse in escondido. Great mechs but their customer service leaves something to be desired...

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Off road warehouse in escondido. Great mechs but their customer service leaves something to be desired...
Well, that was the problem in the first place. Going to ORW for a gear install.
There are plenty of other shops in the area that are better at diff setup. Plus, the master install kit for the gears should have all the shims you need for the setup.
Did you bring them the parts for the gear swap or did they just order everything for you?

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yeah.....pulled the newb routine and had them order "everything". I hadn't had any trouble with them in the past and I felt they would be more reliable with setting up the gears correctly. Unfortunately I don't have a good knowledge base of reputable shops in the area.

·
Registered
472 Posts
And, honestly, if these gears don't grenade on me during the break in, I am going to buy the mechs a case of beer for not jerking me around.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Yeah.....pulled the newb routine and had them order "everything". I hadn't had any trouble with them in the past and I felt they would be more reliable with setting up the gears correctly. Unfortunately I don't have a good knowledge base of reputable shops in the area.
I see. Yeah. Definitely their fault for not getting the master install kit with the shims for setup.
Oh well. Live and learn.
I've been out of SoCal for too long now to remember who we at All-Pro use to recommend for service down in SD. But, Yotamasters in Corona does great work. After our fabricator in at AP in SoCal left we sent all of our customers wanting installs to them.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Damn, didn't even think about asking them. They hooked me up with a full armor package and a contact at 4wheel parts in the past. I forget sometimes that its ok to ask questions about that type of stuff....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Hi guys, been out of the loop for a while but I'm going to be getting my 4wd working again and need a good shop for a front gear install. Possibly an arb also ;) SoCal is preferred
Hey RJ - Vista Driveline did my front diff - gear swap only - I haven't grenaded it yet. Also had them do my driveshaft work.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I didn't know they did gear work.
I had a u-joint replacement done by them. Nice guys.
Who knows.. maybe he even sub'd it out - I provided my own parts and install kit (JT's)... cost me a couple of bills.

But he also lengthened one DS and shortened the other during the 4xconversion and I have had him do u-joint work as needed - I don't know why I struggle with u-joints (removing and replacing) - it's just easier to drive around the corner and have Frank press them in / out.

·
Registered
8,962 Posts
Who knows.. maybe he even sub'd it out - I provided my own parts and install kit (JT's)... cost me a couple of bills.

But he also lengthened one DS and shortened the other during the 4xconversion and I have had him do u-joint work as needed - I don't know why I struggle with u-joints (removing and replacing) - it's just easier to drive around the corner and have Frank press them in / out.
Heh, I'm the same way with u joints. Some people make it look so easy (Tyler being one of them).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts