TTORA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Sirius radio for Christmas & was wondering where you guys have your antennas mounted. Do they really have to be mounted outside the truck for the best reception?

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
I just got a Sirius radio for Christmas & was wondering where you guys have your antennas mounted. Do they really have to be mounted outside the truck for the best reception?
Best bet is to stick it on the roof, although you can toss it up on the dashboard and drive around with it like that for awhile to see if it works for you.

You will love Sirius! Satellite radio rules!

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
951 Posts
you should put it on the roof. if you have a rear sliding glass window, you can squeeze the wire in there pretty tightly past the gasket, or you can go out the headliner and drill a small hole in your cab top brake light, seal it with silicone and be done. more work than tossing it on the dash or fighting with the gasket, but well worth the effort..

Boheefus

·
Premium Member
924 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
Today I rode with someone who just got Sirius. He had the antenna on his dash and it was not good. We tried it on his roof and it was a HUGE difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
With out any question put it on the dash, you wont know the difference. And nothing to take apart or drill as well as someone stealing it. Been on my dash for a long time no problems.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I put mine in the middle of the dash and it won't work. I switched it to the right(pass.) side of the dash and it works awesome

·
Registered
169 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
Go to www.crutchfield.com they have a video showing the install of the antenna through the third break light.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Lurker said:
I run xm and hid my antenna behind the bug shield. no one has noticed it yet. just my .02c.
Awsome idea :D

·
Registered
348 Posts

·
Ban Count: 12
1,815 Posts
Uneasy Rider said:
Put it on the roof and run it through the x-cab window. It's a quick, lazy way of doing it and if you need to remove it, then you don't have any hassles. It's easy enough to hide the wire and the window seals like it normally would.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I ran my antenna out the sliding glass in the back and it worked great until I latched the glass closed and crimped the wire. Bought new antenna and left it on the dash for a while with no problems other than it sliding and being generally sloppy looking. Decided to run it under the dash and onto the hood. Took the rubber tail off and put it between the water jets as close to the windshield as possible. Can't even see it when driving. Works great.

Also if using FM modulator, consider taking off the car antenna. Works awesome with no interference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts