TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am busy installing things that require switches, and realize that I have no room for switches. I want to use some nice rockers, but am not sure since of their size. I need to mount 6 switches, OBA, Winch, Rear light, Fog Light, Driving lights, 2nd set driving lights. I was hoping to put them in the front of the cubby fwd of the drink holder, but there inst the depth I need. So where are you guys putting your switches?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
So I am busy installing things that require switches, and realize that I have no room for switches. I want to use some nice rockers, but am not sure since of their size. I need to mount 6 switches, OBA, Winch, Rear light, Fog Light, Driving lights, 2nd set driving lights. I was hoping to put them in the front of the cubby fwd of the drink holder, but there inst the depth I need. So where are you guys putting your switches?
if you have an aftermarket stereo you could do something similar to this.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
Just mod your cupholder. Who really needs 11 cupholders anyway? It would be easy to slap a flat aluminum panel down right there, or under the lip of the center console lid. Yeah you couldn't see them easy there, but you're good at memorizing switches or that bird would have became a dirt dart a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
What about the lip/plastic on the side of your center console, where it borders with the carpet?

Another idea I saw on TN was to mount them on the outside of the overhead sunglass holder. I think he fit 3 switches up there.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Like this. Very creative, but much more complicated than installing in your dash or console.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Use 3 of the stock switch locations. Use DPDT switches. Each switch can control two separate accessories. 3 dpdt switches = 6 accessories.

·
Registered
883 Posts
i think he has the atrac system, so there is no room for switches

·
Registered
204 Posts
OEM stereo, and dont plan on changing anytime soon :(
man you really should consider getting one of the new 24 bit jvc headunits.........that alone =night and day

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Use 3 of the stock switch locations. Use DPDT switches. Each switch can control two separate accessories. 3 dpdt switches = 6 accessories.
i think he has the atrac system, so there is no room for switches
Yep, no blanks. And I like each acc to have its own switch, with a DPDT you can only have one or the other on, and while not common there may be a time when I want both....

I was looking at the truck more and I think I may put 3 switches, OBA, Winch, Rear Lights, on the center console to the left of the single cup holder, and then front light switches on the angled piece of dash below the 4wd shift switch. I can use the nice DPDT toggles on the console, and the some smaller 3 pos CH switches on the dash.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What about the lip/plastic on the side of your center console, where it borders with the carpet?

Another idea I saw on TN was to mount them on the outside of the overhead sunglass holder. I think he fit 3 switches up there.
Like this. Very creative, but much more complicated than installing in your dash or console.

I have looked at the lip and the depth becomes an issue again. Thou it may work, I will look closer, anyone know how to remove the center console? I got the shifter cover off, but couldn't figure out how to remove the rest...

I also looked at putting them up there, but really don't want to loose OEM functionality, I like my glasses up there :D

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just mod your cupholder. Who really needs 11 cupholders anyway? It would be easy to slap a flat aluminum panel down right there, or under the lip of the center console lid. Yeah you couldn't see them easy there, but you're good at memorizing switches or that bird would have became a dirt dart a long time ago.
Good idea, yeah switch memorization isn't a big deal... my biggest issue is depth, the switches I like are DEEP, but then again if I can see em why get the fancy ones :D

·
Banned
755 Posts
I have looked at the lip and the depth becomes an issue again. Thou it may work, I will look closer, anyone know how to remove the center console? I got the shifter cover off, but couldn't figure out how to remove the rest...

I also looked at putting them up there, but really don't want to loose OEM functionality, I like my glasses up there :D

loosen all the bolts under the cover, then pull the console out towards you, it will pop loose.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
loosen all the bolts under the cover, then pull the console out towards you, it will pop loose.
Thanks, I'll play with it tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So after thinking about tacosupreme's suggestion of the console I went out and looked.. That might just work. I think I could put at least 4 or 5 of the 6 down there. I am still undecided on if I want to hide my fog light switches or not. There probably isnt a real reason not to put them down there.

So it would look something like this.

And if I put a switch or 2 on the dash it would be here..

What do you guys think as far as functionality??

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
So it would look something like this.

Dude, that area is sized perfectly for CD cases, and I have mine stuffed full of music.

The little bunji cord thingy is perfect for that too.

I wouldn't put switches there myself.

Seriously... A man has got to have a special place to enshrine his Floyd.

·
Registered
407 Posts
And if I put a switch or 2 on the dash it would be here..

What do you guys think as far as functionality??
Well, John....

I think I'd find somewhere else to put my hitchpin key, send a cardboard template of that cubby opening to Seabass, and have him build me a custom panel. He's real reasonable and a topknotch source. Reminds me that I've got to install an arming switch for my light and winch control switches. Tired of kicking them on with my knee when I get in my truck.

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dude, that area is sized perfectly for CD cases, and I have mine stuffed full of music.

The little bunji cord thingy is perfect for that too.

I wouldn't put switches there myself.

Seriously... A man has got to have a special place to enshrine his Floyd.

Hehe... i havent carried a CD case in a rig of mine in years. In fact I think all my cases are in a box in the attic, I just use a notebook :D And with the Dice Ipod controller I dont even need CD's anymore...

Is that a clip for a S&W 1006?

Well, John....

I think I'd find somewhere else to put my hitchpin key, send a cardboard template of that cubby opening to Seabass, and have him build me a custom panel. He's real reasonable and a topknotch source. Reminds me that I've got to install an arming switch for my light and winch control switches. Tired of kicking them on with my knee when I get in my truck.
Not a bad idea, but I do like all the cubbies, and really dont want to loose the space, have to think about it thou.

·
Registered
967 Posts
:saw: Dont know if you are willing to cut into your dash but this is what I did:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:saw: Dont know if you are willing to cut into your dash but this is what I did:
Hmm, may have to look and see if I have room, thats not too bad.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts