TTORA Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Trying to trade for a bone stock 91 4runner SR5 4x4 and wondering where you would start if building it up if you had $2000 to spend.

Here is my thoughts:

33 12.50 Mud tires
15 x 10 steel rims
BJ spacers
Rear spring spacers
Shocks all around
3 inch body lift
26mm Torsion Bars
Rear springs
and a winch

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Trying to trade for a bone stock 91 4runner SR5 4x4 and wondering where you would start if building it up if you had $2000 to spend.

Here is my thoughts:

33 12.50 Mud tires
15 x 10 steel rims
BJ spacers
Rear spring spacers
Shocks all around
3 inch body lift
26mm Torsion Bars
Rear springs
and a winch
get some armor.. sliders and skids
go wheel it with a local group
then go shopping :D

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I dont think there are any local groups here. I cant find one place to ride near dayton OH <-- sux. But I travel to Sothern KY and ride. So I kind of want to get it trail ready then brake it in and find all the little probs. I also already had a 90 4runner that had 33 12x50's 3 in bd lift and the torsion bars cranked. I just wanted to see if I could set this one up better. So all inputs are helpful.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
I would get sliders, and skids first. with some 33x10.5 on the stock rims for now and get a rear locker. you will go lots of places.
If you really want the 33x12.5s youll need a body lift, bj spacers, rear lift of some sort and new rims.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Where is the best place to get sliders and skids

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
x2 on the 33x10.50's and rear locker and protection.

www.budbuilt.com for the skidplate
and search around on here and check out the vendors section to find a set of sliders you like, or have somebody make them for you

·
Registered
15,034 Posts
Did you check out the OH and KY chapters?

Seems I've been posting this list a lot lately:
1 - armor: sliders, skids, bumpers (in that order)
2 - 33x10.50 tires when the ones you have are worn out
3 - gears/lockers

That will take you just about anywhere you want to go in a truck you care what it looks like.

There are TONS of places to get sliders, and a few to get skids. My sliderz are from www.4crawler.com and skids are from BudBuilt - I have beat on them HARD and they are holding up.

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Ive had marlin and tg sliders and they are the same. I like both of them.
I have all pro's tcase skid and i like the style, but the fit is horrible.

·
Registered
361 Posts
also take it from those like me who have wasted money on stuff that really wasnt needed,

you can prob get around with some 31s, rear locker and armor for a good while, even 32s, 33x12.50s just arent needed, 33x10.50 maybe but the xtra width isnt gonna do much more. rear locker = a lot more places to go.

·
Registered
41 Posts
There's a few people around the Dayton area that wheel. Most go to either Harlan, KY or Haspin Acres in Indiana. There is a place near Zanesville called Painted Rock that is pretty cool, but it's small. As for clubs, about the closest one around is Miami Valley Four Wheelers. I've been to a meeting of theirs and met some of the folks and they seem pretty cool. Their website is www.mv4w.com, check it out. There are a couple others, but they're mostly up north near Cleveland.

As for mods for your Runner, tires and lockers are always a good first choice and quality parts will run you all of $2000. By the way, I'm in Dayton also if you want to PM me. I will say that my rig is built for off-road use. I'm not bragging about its capabilities, I'm just saying that I don't mind body damage and will go pretty much anywhere and not worry about hurting it.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all your inputs.

·
Premium Member
70 Posts
I have a set of rear spacers I will sell you for $50 plus shipping from Dallas. My stock springs were so shot they didn't work for me, I had to change out the springs. I have a 95 Runner and went with the BJ spacers up front. I would get some sliders and if you have an auto trans go with the Roger Brown 3" BL, he has the adapter for the trans case shifter(this is what I went with so I can move the gas tank to the rear). You can contact me at t[email protected].

Bill

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Why do you say stay away from body lifts??

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Where do you get the Roger Brown BD lift??

1 - 16 of 16 Posts