TTORA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
where to start? there is so much out there i dunno what i should do or what to look at first. what i want to be able to do in my '82 stock 4x4 pick-up i to go up to the snow then go sling some mud, and wheel over some rocks. i have a second set of toyota springs i was thinking of mounting up from to give it a cheap lift in the front ((a friend of mine suggested who also wheels)). got a dentists appointment ill finish theis up when i get back...grr to the dentist

-tank

·
Premium Member
11,173 Posts
Tank, you have the first couple of steps out of the way…you have the truck and you have an idea on what you want to do with it. Good!

Now you need to take another step back and really figure out how much pavement the truck is going to see and how much rock vs. mud you are going to be in.

another thing to consider, is for the most part the general concensous around here is Mud if evil! Mud tears equipment up fast. So if you are going to be in a lot of the muck, try and safe guard against it getting to parts such as your alternator (quick death in mud) and you intake stuff. ect.

The typical first step would be trail armor such as heavier bumpers and sliders.Then lockers. After that maybe lift and tires, then gears. or if you are a rockerfeller, do the lift, tires and gears at the same time.(also consider putting off the lockers until you do the gears. no sense in having to pay a shop to tear into your diffs twice…have the lockers installed with the gears and save some labor fees)

also remember this is an expensive hobby. By that I mean if you are serious into going off road, keep a budget for spare parts! Also don't "out build your experience level"

No I don't mean don't try to fab something if you don't have the experience. What I mean is build your truck up to your wheeling experience, when you feel like you are wanting to get into tougher terrian than what you truck can handle, then is the time to upgrade your trucks equipment.

Hopes this helps! I wish someone would have put these "instructions" up when I first got into this game! I learned the hard way. But I also enjoyed every step of the way (excluding the frustration when my wallet deflated and I still needed more parts)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Wheel it stock. Mud, rocks, water, it's all good. First thing to do, though: rear diff breather. Search it. Other than that, like Bear said, stay away from just sitting in mud and flinging it. It is bad for the trails, and your truck. I've gotten into some bad situations with mud since it's so prevelant here, and it eats up your time AND money. Shit she wears out real quick with gritty, goopy mud everywhere.
I find the most fun thing to do in one of those old yota trucks is driving down 4 wheller trails. It's such a tiny truck it will fit amaizing places!

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
ljschnel said:
Wheel it stock. Mud, rocks, water, it's all good. First thing to do, though: rear diff breather. Search it. Other than that, like Bear said, stay away from just sitting in mud and flinging it. It is bad for the trails, and your truck. I've gotten into some bad situations with mud since it's so prevelant here, and it eats up your time AND money. Shit she wears out real quick with gritty, goopy mud everywhere.
I find the most fun thing to do in one of those old yota trucks is driving down 4 wheller trails. It's such a tiny truck it will fit amaizing places!

quit hating up on the mud! LOL. Every time someone says they wanna go though some mud, doesnt mean they want to go to Lawtey and go through 15' feet mud pits!

make sure to wash the belly if your truck reallllly good afterwords!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
wow thank you for all the help guys its really what i needed to hear. thank you again bear and every one else. well i have come to an issue and a cross road... the truck will spend probbly 60% of its life on the freeway getting me from the girlfriends house and back and some other everyday stuff. so that leaves 40% for all of my non-pavement ware and tear on the truck. durning the winter months of course its up to mormon emigrant and the strawberry trail ((for us nor-cal people)) and then during the summer months its down to praire city and pismo.

and i can compltely see what bear is saying by not building the truck out of my experience level, and considering im a total newbie that means leaving it stock for a while, which i have no problem with. and i can also see where i need to only build with what i need so i dont kill my savings and or checkings account. and personally i dont thtink this could get more exspensive then my racing habbit i have right now with my 240sx altho im probbly wrong.

so after i get the truck on the road and have it smogged should i take it out to a local trail and see how it preforms as a basline to see what i need to do first?

thanks agin for all th help with this guys its greatly appricated.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
a 240 sx and a 4X4 taco? Wow...your living my dream!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
hahaha yeah no kidding an ls1 vette and a first gen camaro dont tell me im living the dream. you defifnately are my good sir are...altho thank you for the compliment

1 - 8 of 8 Posts