TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking to get a chainsaw. I've been told that Stihl is the best, then Husqvarna then Poulan. I don't need something like a 20" bar and a 55cc engine, just something that can do the job when needed. Maybe a 16 or 18" with a 40cc.

Any thoughts on these? I'm also on a budget....I really don't want to spend over $200.00.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Icepuck72 said:
I'm looking to get a chainsaw. I've been told that Stihl is the best, then Husqvarna then Poulan. I don't need something like a 20" bar and a 55cc engine, just something that can do the job when needed. Maybe a 16 or 18" with a 40cc.

Any thoughts on these? I'm also on a budget....I really don't want to spend over $200.00.
I just read a pretty good thread over here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309479

I dunno how much of a saw you will get for $200 though.

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
110 Posts
Icepuck72 said:

my brother just got the Husqvarna 18" and 50cc i think. its one bad ass saw. i think it was around $277 at Lowes.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I used to work at a Stihl dealership, and that's the only saw I would buy. I have heard Husky's are nice, but I really like the Stihl saws. I would have said check out a 019 or a 021, but I looked on their website and they've renamed the saws from what I can tell. There was always the big boy 066, man that saw was awesome.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike said:
I just read a pretty good thread over here:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=309479

I dunno how much of a saw you will get for $200 though.

Later,
....Mike
Thanks for the link...sounds like the Stihl vs Husky is the Ford vs Chevy thing....and yeah, looks like I'll be spending at least $250.00 after some research.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Jamier2 said:
I used to work at a Stihl dealership, and that's the only saw I would buy. I have heard Husky's are nice, but I really like the Stihl saws. I would have said check out a 019 or a 021, but I looked on their website and they've renamed the saws from what I can tell. There was always the big boy 066, man that saw was awesome.

I'm reading that both saws are excellent, however I'm reading that the Husky's have less vibration.

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Icepuck72 said:

Mark, get a good one. The next time we go wheeling after a hurrican, you can lead the way.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Icepuck72 said:

this big enough? :p
http://www.norcalttora.com/~chris/Edison Lk./Edison 6-9-02 040.jpg

try and pick up a used 026 Stihl. the price will be in the low $200 range. Check pawn shops and ebay.
the little Huskys are fine but require more maintenance than and are not nearly as easy to work on as the Stihls.
The older XP series Huskys are better than the newer ones.
the little 16" Husky 41 that we have at the ranch is a good little saw especially after I hot-rodded it, hee, hee. It is tons better than the newer 141 and even cuts better than the 350 which is a bigger saw.

forget the Poulan...crappy saws, same with Homelite, Sears, MacCullah (sp)...
Jonsured is 'ok' but parts are hard to come by. They are essentially the same as Husky and made in the same plant.

066 and 026 are my saws ;)
ranch saws: Hus 41, 141, 350

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Icepuck72 said:
I'm reading that both saws are excellent, however I'm reading that the Husky's have less vibration.
some Huskys have less vibration than some Stihls ;)

the older Stihls, like over 20 yrs old, do have a vibe problem compared to Huskys that are 10 yrs newer but there is really no difference between the saws made today.

as for Ford vs chevy...not even close when it comes to maintenance in the field; Stihls are soooo much easier and require fewer tools.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Icepuck72 said:
I've also been told that. However, unless you really use a chainsaw for hours on end, I really don't think that's much of a consideration unless you use it for logging or something. I've used Stihl saws (and old Homelite saws) to saw firewood, and the vibration isn't really that bad except on the really old saws.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Jamier2 said:
I've also been told that. However, unless you really use a chainsaw for hours on end, I really don't think that's much of a consideration unless you use it for logging or something. I've used Stihl saws (and old Homelite saws) to saw firewood, and the vibration isn't really that bad except on the really old saws.
ever use one of the old 090s? hee, hee.

my hands buzzed for days after just a few hrs use, sheesh.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Nah, no 090's, but we did have one customer who had a monstrosity of a saw that had a 48 or 60 inch bar they used to cut off loads of slats. That chain took half a day to sharpen.

I wonder when the electric start chain saw is gonna come out?

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
Jamier2 said:
Nah, no 090's, but we did have one customer who had a monstrosity of a saw that had a 48 or 60 inch bar they used to cut off loads of slats. That chain took half a day to sharpen.

I wonder when the electric start chain saw is gonna come out?
biggest one I've seen was a 090 worm drive with a 7' Cannon bar that this guy topped a redwood tree with....150' up and the thing was still 7' across.

Bailey's still sells that poster ;)

I've got a vid of a v8 chainsaw somwhere.... insane.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
I've cut wood for years on the farm and I would have no other than a Stihl..Just my .02

·
wut?
1,466 Posts
Icepuck72 said:
Sure thing...we still on for the wheeling trip on the 15th? Who else is going?

Yes we are still going Mark. Jason is going, and I think Rich from MD, and a few other people are taking about going. When I get home, I'll contact the FS to make sure the tails are still open for the season. I hope we get some snow to make this run more interesting. Bring your cold weather gear, and planning on wheeling some at night.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Icepuck72 said:
Thanks for the link...sounds like the Stihl vs Husky is the Ford vs Chevy thing....and yeah, looks like I'll be spending at least $250.00 after some research.
In that price range I'd look at a Stihl MS290 Farmboss. I've only owned Stihl saws and have a few that my grandfather gave me 20 years ago and still run great after cutting hundreds of cords of wood.

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
JCRENFROW said:
In that price range I'd look at a Stihl MS290 Farmboss. I've only owned Stihl saws and have a few that my grandfather gave me 20 years ago and still run great after cutting hundreds of cords of wood.
the odd numbers like the 029 are Stihl's "home" quality saw. The even #s are the production or pro models and are the heavy duty ones. For someone who cuts a little wood a few times a year the cheaper 'home' saws will still last forever ;)

Husky has done the same thing in the last few years. The XP models are the professional versions.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts