TTORA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in need of a new clutch and I was just wondering what your reccommendations are. My truck is a '96 V6, and I am running 35's and 4.88's. I was looking at the centerforce dual friction, but wasn't sure if there was something better for the money. What about the ones Marlin sells? Thanks for any info.

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
i have friends that swear by centerforce clutches.
but if Marlin is selling one,it must be kickass!:eek:
i vote for buying Marlin stuff.cant go wrong with that!

·
Registered
223 Posts
Call marlins shop and ask him how it compares to the centerforce. He runs an honest business and I don't think he would steer you wrong.
BTW I run a centerforce DF and it has been a good clutch so far 10K. My stock clutch only lasted 36K and was slipping at 10K.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
4TACXOMA4 said:
I am in need of a new clutch and I was just wondering what your reccommendations are. My truck is a '96 V6, and I am running 35's and 4.88's. I was looking at the centerforce dual friction, but wasn't sure if there was something better for the money. What about the ones Marlin sells? Thanks for any info.
Well, I have the Centerforce Dual Friction with a 2.7, 33s, and 4.88s, and it has held up fine through two very testing weekends in Moab and tons of city driving with bumper-to-bumper traffic.

Brant in Idaho has a Centerforce DF with a supercharged 6, 35s, and 4.88s (going to 5.29s or so he says). Seems to work fine for him.

Jimmy in Wyoming is running a stock clutch with a supercharged 6, 37s, and 5.29s. He seems to smoke it frequently and said he plans to replace it soon. I think he might go with a DF as well.

Other than the Centerforce DF, a heavy duty factory-type clutch would work, too. Something with a Kevlar plate but uses a factory cover.

The Marlin clutches look really good for the price, plus they include the associated bearings. I have never run one nor do I know anyone that has, so I can't speak for their quality. I have recommended the Centerforce DF based on my personal experience and friends' experiences.

Make your own judgements.

Good luck!

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
I looked at it in the Performance Products catalog, but it's not for my truck so I dismissed it.

Looking at it now, they carry it for $580, including the pilot and throwout bearing.

TRD USA.com sells it for $617.

It very closely resembles my Centerforce DF in design.

PP also offers the RAM HD clutch with Kevlar/metallic/organic friction materials for $424.

The OE equivalent clutch from Valeo is $235.

I ordered my Centerforce from Performance Products because it was on sale. I saved over $140 and it arrived in three days! They are great to deal with.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Ther is another thread going with the same questions; it is related to towing . There were lots of good replies there, too. I threw in my 2 cents worth with the TRD oversize clutch. I saw it in a performance plus catalog. I used to LOVEmy centerforce d/f in my race ranger. It never cried foul; even with lots of mistreatment. I don't know the specs on the TRD thing... Sorry.

·
Registered
295 Posts
I have had the same clutch for 147,000. What's up guys? :) I think when mine goes out, since my stock one has lasted so long, I will most likely do the factory Toyota clutch, expensive, but very reliable.

·
Going John Galt
31,839 Posts
AK98Taco said:
I looked at it in the Performance Products catalog, but it's not for my truck so I dismissed it.

Looking at it now, they carry it for $580, including the pilot and throwout bearing.

PP also offers the RAM HD clutch with Kevlar/metallic/organic friction materials for $424.

I ordered my Centerforce from Performance Products because it was on sale. I saved over $140 and it arrived in three days! They are great to deal with.

Good luck.
do you have a link for the performance plus site? I'll be replacing my clutch when the crawler goes in ...soon ;)

·
Registered
116 Posts
AK98Taco said:

Good luck.
Autoparts Warehouse has the dual fricton Centerforce clutch for $405.99
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/

·
concussed
1,159 Posts
MDTRD said:
Who's Marlin?
go visit

www.marlincrawler.com

Marlin is famous for creating the dual t-case for tacos.
his shop also sells everything you could need.
many have wheeled with him(me included)and everyone who meets him come away impressed.
thats why i pimp for Marlin.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
About this Discussion
16 Replies
13 Participants
AK98Taco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing