TTORA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok first off im new to the toyota scene, a couple of my buddies have yotas and im in the market for a new truck right now and im highly consitering getting a tacoma and i know 2 things for sure is that i want a 4 wheel drive and i want a 5 speed but i plan on getting a 2001-2004 year tacoma so i wanted to know which engine is better the 2.7 or the 3.4 as far as dependability and the ability to upgrade. Of corse i know the v6 will have more power stock but what about after market upgrades. which will i be able to get more power from in the long run i guess what im asking is what are the pros and con between the 2 motors ???

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
If you can afford the 3.4, definitely get it. The motor has more power than the 3RZFE(4-cylinder 2.7), and the 5-Speed transmission used in the V6 is a lot stronger than the W59 Transmission used in the 4-cylinder 4x4 Tacos.

On the positive side for the 3RZ, it has a timing chain which is essentially a no maintenance item(whereas the V6 has a timing belt that requires changing like every 90K miles at a hefty price assuming you pay someone to do the work). The 4-Cylinder motor is also a real breeze to work on in almost all aspects.

It's pretty tough to get additional power out of the 4 Cylinder truck without doing serious engine work from what I've read.. and the supercharger for the 4-cylinder truck yields very little power compared to one on the V6(once again, only based off of what I've researched and not personal experience).

The fuel economy difference between the 2 motors is not as big of a difference as you'd expect... although I get anywhere from 20 to 24 MPG combined city/hghwy in my truck(I usually baby it and shift at very low RPM's for the most part).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts