TTORA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock or Walbro? I am not supercharged yet. The Walbro is $175 cheaper, but I have heard of them having problems. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Yeah why not get an OEM from a salvage yard somewhere and save a bunch of money but get OEM quality too.
I haven't heard of many stock fuel pumps failing, they seem to go on forever.

Stock or Walbro? I am not supercharged yet. The Walbro is $175 cheaper, but I have heard of them having problems. Anyone have any thoughts?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Beyond needing increased fuel delivery for a particular level of SC install real or imagined, I will add this.
I watched for fuel pump failures pretty intently once past the 150K mark because we travel solo most of the time and are old and feeble.
It seemed that around 175K the failures started to occur. They were not what I would call "common" but definitely not "uncommon".
I replaced mine as PM at around 200K. It was working fine but the armature/brushes/shaft bushings showed significant wear.

Denso and Aisin stuff are becoming increasingly more available outside of Toyota. An OEM Denso "kit" with an upgraded inlet strainer, connector hose, clamps and grommets can be had from sources such as RockAuto for around $78. The aftermarket cheapo replacement pumps seem to have a pretty high failure rate.

·
Registered
405 Posts
The walbro 190 that I stuck in my truck has been working fine, though it is significantly louder than the 170k mile old OEM pump. So I saved the stock pump as a backup.

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah why not get an OEM from a salvage yard somewhere and save a bunch of money but get OEM quality too.
I haven't heard of many stock fuel pumps failing, they seem to go on forever.
I wish. There are no Tacomas in the junkyard here. They laughed when I asked.

·
Premium Member
12,929 Posts
Well hell they just aren't that big or heavy so don't restrict yourself to those tiny little island bound yards, go national. Shouldn't be too expensive to ship one if you're patient.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts