TTORA Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, im trying to sort through all the crap, but really cant. I wanna run a full width front, and spacers in the rear to match it, until i can afford a full width swap in the rear too.

Heres what i need to know

-What vehicle and year do i need the full width 44 from? I also need it to be 6 lug compatible.
-What is the WMS-WMS on the taco rear axle? Yeah i can measure myself, but if someone has the figure in front of em, i would appreciate it :)

Thanks
Josh

im sure ill have some more questions soon

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i'd love to, but im worried about clearance, cause im only gonna be runnin 37 mtr's....thtas all the taco rear can handle

Josh

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
A lot of people are using the HP 44's out of late 70's Fords. You'll have to convert the axle to 6 lug, though. WMS to WMS on a taco rear is 61".

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
FlatFatTaco said:
Ok, im trying to sort through all the crap, but really cant. I wanna run a full width front, and spacers in the rear to match it, until i can afford a full width swap in the rear too.
Here's some inspiration for ya. I can get the details on these rigs.

Later,
....Mike

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Read this for everything you need to know about Dana 44s: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

This is the Reverse Spiral (commonly called high-pinion) 44 page: http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44.htm

That should tell you what year and vehicle to look for. The brakes don't really matter as you will most likely be replacing the rotors. You do NOT want the '78-'79 axle unless you are going to run the coil setup as-is.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tenntaco said:
Whoever told you that was wrong. Taco rears are pretty strong.

No one "told" me that, i just dont like to take chances. I do have the 8.4 rear, and i agree, it is strong, but since my taco is a DD the only other tire i would consider running besides a 37 mtr would be a 40 inch mtr, and i do believe that is way to much for a taco rear to handle. Im running 37 mtr's on my ifs now, locked front and rear, all the good stuff.

Josh

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Has anyone converted a full width 44 to 6 lug before? What all is involved? Im very interested in a fullwidth swap, just for the extra stability...

Thanks again,
Josh

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am doing the exact set-up right now. From what i have found out to further AK98TACO is that you shouldnt use a 78' and 79' from a f150(1/2ton), f100, and full size bronco, but from a f250(3/4ton) is fine.

"Axles to avoid: 44RS 1978-79 F100, F150 and full size Bronco 44RS. This is a good axle only if left with the factory coil mounting brackets. Be sure to a void the 1/4 inch thick inner tube version. Price is average because high amount of these available."

What i chose to go with is :

"Suggested 44RS Axle for swapping using 8 lug bolt pattern: The F250 44RS 1977.5 to 79 44RS axle. These years come with the larger 8 wheel bolt pattern and brakes. They also have a leaf spring mount and 3" diameter axle tubes with ½” thick tube walls. You can swap knuckles out if your looking for a different bolt pattern, see below note on this. These axle usually cost at least double of a 1/2 ton."

I am going to keep it full width also and keep the yota out back. My friend Dave has the axle now, but i am going to get it this sat. The WMS-WMs on the axle is 67 inches. So there is about 3 inches extra on each side. I was going to run 1.5 inch spacers on the rear so it is only 3 inches wider total.

This axle can be switched to a 6lug with 5.5 bolt pattern(same as taco) You just have to get some flat top knuckles from an early jeep full size axle.

Now for my question to you. I am going to run the 37 MT/R also. I totally agree with you, i have a set and I love them, and want them after the swap. So in order to clear the 37's what front springs are you going to run. I have heard that with a 3inch body and stock waggys, you could almost clear 39 swapers. I didnt really want to go much higher then that. Just curious to what your plans are.

Good luck with your search

All quotes from http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/web_rs44.html

Brian

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im running 37 mtr's on my ifs taco now with only a 3 inch bl and 3 inch ome suspension. I trimmed my fenders a good bit though. I also have no rubbing. Im gonna run 7 leaf waggy's up front, to keep from sagging, but also stock height. If you push the axle far enough forward you will not have to worry about rubbing, you will probably just have to relocate your washer fluid reservoir.

Thanks for the info

Josh

NEW QUESTION!

Can the axles from a 1980 or 81 Wagoneer be used? whats the deal with them? the only reason im asking is i have located one VERY cheap

·
Registered
295 Posts
If I remember correctly, it needs to be 82 and up waggy, minus some (maybe all) 84-85's b/c of vac disco.

I may be wrong on any/ all of this. But if it is drivers side diff w/o vac. disco it should work fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
got me an axle :) got an entire 81 grand wagoneer for 125 bucks. Stole the front axle and a 7 leaf waggys and selling the rest off.

Josh

1 - 14 of 14 Posts