TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm a newbie looking to buy a used Taco in Maine and my price point gives me a choice of buying on either side of the divider for the most recent generation, just wondering which side people think is better.

In this part of the country, a trip to the corner store can be an off-road experience about half the year, depending on the weather, but what I really want the truck for is to have for camping and fishing in the summer (I spend some time on private roads owned by the paper companys - lots of washouts and a few non-roads, but not quite the same kind of off-road experience that people find on the BLM lands in southern CA, etc). I also hope to pull a small boat or pop-up camper, but probably nothing so big that the 4 cylinder can't handle it.

I gather from reading this forum that the TRD 05 rear ends are something to watch out for, and I've got mixed feelings about the newer hubs, though all I've ever used in the past are the manual kind. My biggest fear is rust and I haven't heard anyone say that either generation is better than the other in that regard. Curious to know if people think there are other considerations I should take into account.

Thanks.

·
Registered
883 Posts
this should be in offtopic or something. it has been covered many times also. search or you'll get flamed by our friendly community here. lol...

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Like my 05. As for rust, watch out for the tailgate. Take the inside plastic off and spray rust proofing in the bottom seam. Mine wheels very nicely and has good on road manners and more interior space. I would also rust proof the bottom of the fenderwells and doors since you live in Maine. Cheap insurance IMO. The choice is yours.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
How "nimble" do you need your rig to be. The size difference is probably the most obvious and noticable difference. You're posting in the 05+ thread, and I own and love my 06, so I'm gonna give you a vote for 05. But if you're shopping for a used 05, there were a number of "growing pains" in the early models that may present themselves. But the number of issues compared to total # of owners is still pretty damn small.

·
Registered
324 Posts
size, looks, and the fact that 04 is the last true toyota mini truck would make me lean in that direction, and the fact that i have one, its just such a well balanced vehicle, the 05 is also very nice and im starting to like them more and more, and a year newer is a year newer! and another thing go with the
v6 it gets almost the same mpg, and as soon as you put a load or haul anything with the 4 your actually getting worse mpg, trust me, no matter how i drive i always get a constant 20mpg, stock tires, and i have a supercharger! the 4 is only gonna give you maybe 23mpg, but then again the 2.7 is a great motor, hell i dont know ,lol !

·
Registered
808 Posts
based on your needs. i dont think you can go wrong either way. buy whichever you think looks best and which ever cuts you the best deal mileage/price wise.
x2...you'll hear the arguement over and over about which is a better wheeler. Most of that will pertain to more moderate to serious trails where width, height and length could make a difference. From the sounds of it that isn't an issue with the way you'll wheel it. Either one should do, and if your not wheeling it hard, the rear end shouldn't be to much of an issue. As for rust, I have no clue, thankfully don't have that issue in Cali.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Informative. :rolleyes:

For mild to moderate wheeling, both years will do just fine in stock form. The problems with rear ends seemed to be limited to the TRD 8" E-locker rear end in the 05's. After that it seemed better.

Personally I like the extra size of the 05+, that probably explains why I'm driving one. I'm sure the asshat who wrote 04' prefers the size of his. In the end it always comes down to personal preference. The 4.0 will run circles around the 3.4, but in both models the 2.7L remains virtually unchanged. The older gen is smaller and a little more nimble. I love my 06, and I wheel the shit out of it with no problems to speak of. Test drive both and make your own decisions, don't listen to a bunch of web-wheeling weenies.

·
Registered
967 Posts
I love my '05. It's "purdy" :p
Yours almost doesn't count! Are you worried about your ring gears? I wonder if you have enough clearance or articulation. :confused:

...And yes, it is very "purdy" :xpimp:

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
Yours almost doesn't count! Are you worried about your ring gears? I wonder if you have enough clearance or articulation. :confused:

...And yes, it is very "purdy" :xpimp:
Why wouldn't it count? It's still an '05. I purchased all the parts used on it in '05:D

Nah.... not too worried about my ring and pinions and I think the articulation and clearance are acceptable;)

·
Registered
204 Posts
the 4.0 is a night and day difference than the 3.4 hauling??????05 rust????plastic bed in the 05..05 wheeling??????well my 2000 was good

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
I went out looking 2 years to buy an '01-'04 DC because I thought the new body style sucked. Then after driving my '05 I ended up buying it. It works great for most of what I do. It is a bit wide for some of the stuff I would like to do, but the trade off is that I can seat the 3 kids back there. The 4.0 is great tons of torque. But I do like driving my '81
It is America, you make the choice.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
well personally i like the 2005 body style, but its weather you like the smaller 04, or the larger 05

and yes the 05 offroads good, the 4.0 v-6 has sheet loads of power, and can tow at least a small toy box with out stressin, and the 4.0 get good mpg too!!

though, i do like the 04 body style, but i dont know much about them, besides that they can take a beating

its all up to you though

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
like its been said, people will argue the benefits of both on here until the sun stops shining.... go drive them and see... .My 07 is the best truck I have ever owned, sure it wont go quite as many places as my 92 on 35's did, but I could make it if I wanted to... The extra size is GREAT for camping/hunting.. yet still a small enough rig to get anywhere I need to go, or dont need to for that matter.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
like its been said, people will argue the benefits of both on here until the sun stops shining.... go drive them and see... .My 07 is the best truck I have ever owned, sure it wont go quite as many places as my 92 on 35's did, but I could make it if I wanted to... The extra size is GREAT for camping/hunting.. yet still a small enough rig to get anywhere I need to go, or dont need to for that matter.
i 100% agree:kewl:

·
Registered
39 Posts
05+ for me

I went out looking 2 years to buy an '01-'04 DC because I thought the new body style sucked. Then after driving my '05 I ended up buying it. It works great for most of what I do. It is a bit wide for some of the stuff I would like to do, but the trade off is that I can seat the 3 kids back there. The 4.0 is great tons of torque. But I do like driving my '81
It is America, you make the choice.
Yep me too I went looking for a 03-04 then I looked at prices, for a couple Gs more I could get new so I test drove both gens. To me it was a huge difference, the 05+ comfort and ride was way better. Since I will do 99% driving on road I bought a 07. So for only complaint is the rear-view mirror is a little low, that is it.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.