TTORA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which GPS to get? I am looking at the Garmin 60CS OR the Garmin 76CS. I see that people here are running both kinds. Anybody have any good pros and cons? thanks.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Jesters_taco said:
Which GPS to get? I am looking at the Garmin 60CS OR the Garmin 76CS. I see that people here are running both kinds. Anybody have any good pros and cons? thanks.
http://gpsinformation.net/

everything you ever wanted to know about gps recievers, LOL

I still haven't figured out which one to get but the 60C or 60CS are at the top of my list so far.

watch out on some of the different units as they are not designed for off-roading and can't handle the abuse. Also look into the different maping software available...they are not all alike from what I've read so far.

there are reviews on the Navmans on this site and they aren't good. I'll check out the one posted.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hytenor said:
http://gpsinformation.net/
there are reviews on the Navmans on this site and they aren't good. I'll check out the one posted.
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista right now- but the specs on the Navman look pretty nice- 3.5" color display/ touch screen- turn by voice, rechargeable battery, all auto accessories, atlaseat it accepts expansion memory

I agree though- I am a little skeptical due to software issue & updates -with the Navman

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:

I found some other reviews on Navman units in general and they seem quite good compared to the one other negative review I read. For $300 it might be hard to go wrong though. I haven't found any more info on their map software, though, other that that they don't have USGS based topo maps like Garmins have for varrious areas. Frys has their older model 630 advertized for $500 that I was going to check out locally but this one might be a better bet.

too many choices, LOL

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:
I have a Garmin Etrex Vista right now- but the specs on the Navman look pretty nice- 3.5" color display/ touch screen- turn by voice, rechargeable battery, all auto accessories, atlaseat it accepts expansion memory

I agree though- I am a little skeptical due to software issue & updates -with the Navman
what I haven't figured out is the major difference between the 630 (635 is the new one) and the 510 other than shape. the older 630 has the earlier version of the SmartST software, however. for what I'm really looking for, though, I'm not sure I need all the bells and whistles of a top-line unit. If my local Frys has both the 630 and the 510 to compare I may have one by later today :D

the guys who do that gps review site seem to like the SmartST system and the maping software that Navman uses. the company also seems to update their stuff on a timely basis. I was looking at the Garmins mainly because they had the national park topo maps in 1:24k that would be very helpful around here...now if someone would just offer the Nat. forest maps in that size, rather than the usual 1:100k ;)

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hytenor said:
what I haven't figured out is the major difference between the 630 (635 is the new one) and the 510 other than shape. the older 630 has the earlier version of the SmartST software, however. for what I'm really looking for, though, I'm not sure I need all the bells and whistles of a top-line unit. If my local Frys has both the 630 and the 510 to compare I may have one by later today :D
3.5" color Touch screen.......droool........

Basically the Navman is a pocket PC setups as a dedicated GPS- FOr the price- $300 bucks- It will be difficult for you to find anything with similar features- I am thinking of buying it myself- I figure if I don't like it I can return it.
Its definately worth a shot though.
- Let me know if you get back from Frys-
They are about to open a fry's nearby within the month - (THought they'd have it ready by Thanksgiving / Christmas :( ) But the other locations are a bit out of the way
- So I'd appreciate any input that will help me make a decision -
I will probably throw this in the Hot deal section

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:
3.5" color Touch screen.......droool........

Basically the Navman is a pocket PC setups as a dedicated GPS- FOr the price- $300 bucks- It will be difficult for you to find anything with similar features- I am thinking of buying it myself- I figure if I don't like it I can return it.
Its definately worth a shot though.
- Let me know if you get back from Frys-
They are about to open a fry's nearby within the month - (THought they'd have it ready by Thanksgiving / Christmas :( ) But the other locations are a bit out of the way
- So I'd appreciate any input that will help me make a decision -
I will probably throw this in the Hot deal section
I got to play with one at Fry's last night. nice little unit and the screen is great. The web price is much cheaper than their in-store price so I didn't buy it. I also checked out a unit with a slightly larger screen from Lowrance...very nice but it had a 20g hd with 10g dedicated to mp-3 storage that I have no use for. In checking their website, Lowrance makes a unit specifically for off-roading for under $400 with the same size screen but it's a grey scale rather than color. the unit also is WAAS compatible for more accuracy.

I may just get the Navman as it will probably do fine. My main concern is maping software being detailed enough in the national forests. Most all of the gps units on the market are meant for street use near cities so when you get into the boonies the maps are kinda sparse. Garmin at least has maps that you can load in for that but the best unit from them isthe G60C with that tiny screen.

I may never get this figured out, LOL

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hytenor said:
I got to play with one at Fry's last night. nice little unit and the screen is great.
I may just get the Navman as it will probably do fine. My main concern is maping software being detailed enough in the national forests. Most all of the gps units on the market are meant for street use near cities so when you get into the boonies the maps are kinda sparse. Garmin at least has maps that you can load in for that but the best unit from them isthe G60C with that tiny screen.

I may never get this figured out, LOL
Man, I am so close to pulling the trigger on this unit
I hope they raise the price soon- That way I Won't get it :).
Damn These Deals!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just ordered mine with a 512 SD card from outpost. My buddy who travels alot has given it 2 thumbs up.

His only gripes are that you need to buy a external mem card to store the maps and that the screens do get a little washed out in direct sunlight.

Cant beat the price of 299 either!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
benster said:
Just ordered mine with a 512 SD card from outpost. My buddy who travels alot has given it 2 thumbs up.

His only gripes are that you need to buy a external mem card to store the maps and that the screens do get a little washed out in direct sunlight.

has he tried any trips in the boonies yet? All these things are good in town or near major hwys but not all are so great off-roading.

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
benster said:

Damn it- I was hoping to here someone say it sucked ass- Now I have to spend $300 bucks plus an SD card ;)

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:
Damn it- I was hoping to here someone say it sucked ass- Now I have to spend $300 bucks plus an SD card ;)
yea, and I think the sale ends on the 4th

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Ok, I've been going back and forth with one of the guys that has the gps review site on this unit. He just got back to me about my question on what maps Navman uses and if they are any good for off-roading.

His response:

Navman uses TeleAtlas maps which are the best road maps available for
the boonies.

Dale

I will now order one as this was my main concern ;)

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hytenor said:
I will now order one as this was my main concern ;)
....must...resist......

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:
....must...resist......
Don't....fight it......get...out....CC.....
buy, buy, buy!

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts

·
Deal Master
2,775 Posts
hytenor said:
Don't....fight it......get...out....CC.....
buy, buy, buy!
LOL- I have my CC memorized as well as exp date and the 4 digit security number on the upper right hand side.

I am one click away

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
grillmasterp said:
LOL- I have my CC memorized as well as exp date and the 4 digit security number on the upper right hand side.

I am one click away
dangit, their site's down...I waz gonna order

1 - 20 of 52 Posts