TTORA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 83 toyota with a 3" suspensioin lift. I have it stripped down to the frame and would like some input regarding how much of a body lift to add in. I know that looks are subjective but what would look good? 2", 3" nothing? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, who is making a good body lift kit at a reasonable price?

·
Registered
401 Posts
What tires do you want to put under there. If you want 35's ull have to do 3 inch and a pinch weld mod. If you want to stay with 33's, go with a 1'' body lift. You won't have to change anything like you would with the 2'' or 3''. As far as cosmetics, go with the 2''. Get a bumber bracket to get rid of those stupid gaps. Here is the best body lift site. They have every part that you would need to put on a lift. http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ToyotaTacoma.shtml. He will make custom kits too i believe.
Just email him with specs and he will custom make it. http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
cmmg said:
I have an 83 toyota with a 3" suspensioin lift. I have it stripped down to the frame and would like some input regarding how much of a body lift to add in. I know that looks are subjective but what would look good? 2", 3" nothing? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Also, who is making a good body lift kit at a reasonable price?
0"

·
Registered
532 Posts
stucktaco said:
What tires do you want to put under there. If you want 35's ull have to do 3 inch and a pinch weld mod. If you want to stay with 33's, go with a 1'' body lift. You won't have to change anything like you would with the 2'' or 3''. As far as cosmetics, go with the 2''. Get a bumber bracket to get rid of those stupid gaps. Here is the best body lift site. They have every part that you would need to put on a lift. http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/ToyotaTacoma.shtml. He will make custom kits too i believe.
Just email him with specs and he will custom make it. http://4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml
dude, this guy has an 83 sfa toyota pickup, not a tacoma.

i have to agree with cope, zero bodylift.

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you would read, you would see that he makes custom body kits if sent the specs. How about you read before you tell me im wrong.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Read the info people!!!!!!!!!!!

5. I've got an XYZ vehicle, do you make a lift kit for it?

* If it is not listed here, then 4Crawler Offroad doesn't have a design available for that application. But, everything listed on this page, outside the early Toyota 4Runner kits, has been designed with the help of people just like you that asked this very question.
* If you are willing to do the small amount of research needed to help 4Crawler Offroad design and build the kit, chances are the answer will be YES!
o First, verify that the vehicle uses a body-on-frame construction.
+ Many modern vehicles use a uni-body or uni-frame construction where the body and frame end up being one piece.
+ If there are no body mounts, bushings or bolts visible underneath, then chances are the body can't be raised off the frame with a body lift.
o Then, you need to know how many body mounts the vehicle has, a rough idea of what size they are (i.e. 2" dia, 2.5" dia., etc.) what size the mounting hardware is (diameter and working length for each mount - sometimes there is unused thread on bolts).
o If items need relocating like bumpers, radiators, etc., I'll need to know details on how they are mounted to the frame. You'll need to supply information on the size of the mounting bolts and the spacing of the holes (e.g. 12mm bolts, 60mm on center - then a bracket can be designed based upon this data).
o Getting this data won't be all that hard, get under your rig and count the body mount locations. Find where all the bolts are, you should be able to loosen and remove one at a time, pull it out, measure it and put it back.
+ Get dimensions, take pictures, and send them to 4Crawler Offroad.
+ Bolt lengths are measured from the bottom of the head to the end of the shaft, DO NOT include the height of the head in the length. Also, some vehicles have, for example a 5" long bolt, but with 1" of thread exposed when installed, so, this should be noted, e.g. 'Bolt 5" long w/ 1" exposed thread'.
+ Bolt diameters are measured at the shaft, its not the size of wrench that fits on the head.
+ If a bolt goes into a captive nut inside the body, then the thread pitch (i.e. SAE, this will be Threads Per Inch, and if metric it'll be in mm/thread) will need to be measured.
+ Don't assume all bolts are the same diameter or length. They are usually the same side to side, but can be vastly different sizes in different locations. And don't just measure down from the underside of the floor or guess, you really need to pull the bolt out, measure the length and best if you can send a photo of all the bolts side by side with a ruler for scale. If should be no problem to remove a body mount bolt, no vehicle support is needed, gravity will keep the body in place, just make sure you put them back before driving it!
o So you provide 4Crawler Offroad with the specifications, you will get a "custom" kit with no extra charge for the custom design work.
+ 4Crawler Offroad will hope to make up the design cost in additional sales of kits for that application.
o This was recently done for the Kia Sportage body lift kit. Within 2 weeks of the initial contact, a kit had been designed, manufactured, and installed on the owners truck. A similar turnaround was seen fior the 3rd and 4th generation Toyota 4Runners.
o A 3" body lift is about the tallest that is safe and reasonable.
+ If planning a body lift over 3", please consider cutting the brackets off the frame and raise them up the desired amount and weld them on with added bracing.
+ The life you save may be your own!
* Note:
o XYZ is not any specific vehicle, replace XYZ with Dodge, Jeep, Ford, or whatever vehicle you have and are interested in having a body lift kit designed for.
o If you are unwilling or unable to provide the above information, see if you can locate a person with the same vehicle within 50 miles or so of San Jose, CA. and see if they can pay 4Crawler Offroad a visit to do the measurements. Otherwise, wait and see if someone else can provide the information, if its not listed below, its not available.
o Cost will depend on the quantity and size of the blocks and hardware desired.
+ 2" OD UHMW blocks are $4.00/ea. for 1" tall and add $1.00/inch (or any fraction thereof) over 1" tall.
+ 2.5" OD UHMW blocks run $5.00/ea. for 1" tall and add $1.50/inch (or fraction thereof) over 1" tall.
+ Longer bolts can run from $2.50/ea. to $5.00/ea. depending on diameter, length and grade.
o There is typically no extra charge for the custom body lift kit, you provide the specs, 4Crawler Offroad will design and manufacture the kit.
+ You get the lift kit you want (with no additional charge for the custom design work), and 4Crawler Offroad has a new application to add to it's product line.

·
Big tars, little bed.
8,407 Posts
We know he makes custom BL's, we just dont think a BL is necessary on an '83 SA Toy.

I saw a guy with 5" All Pro leaves running 38's stock (width) axles and no body lift. Slight trimming. Body lifts are fairly ugly on Taco's, they're hideous on the early SFA Toyotas.

·
Registered
2,509 Posts
i have been told sevral times not to go bigger than a 2" body

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
GOT COPE? said:
Body lifts are fairly ugly on Taco's, they're hideous on the early SFA Toyotas.
I think it depends on how it's installed and what's done after the BL. I have a 2" on my Taco and you won't be able to tell once I get the gap guards on it. If the bumpers and sliders are built for a BL (like mine are) it's really hard to notice it even has one.

With that being said, for a SFA pick up there is no point to installing a body lift. Just get a 5" kit with new leaf springs and save yourself a lot of bullshit to deal with.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't think hes going for the mall running looks, but I guess i give in. I didn't know they made a 5'' lift for that truck.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
About this Discussion
10 Replies
7 Participants
stucktaco
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing