Votes: 13 32.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so I am going to need to replace my engine in the next few months, 260,000 miles of abuse and it is not sounding too healthy and is really losing power, and burning oil, and leaking it, and all sorts of stuff. my poll is on which motor to put in it. chevy 350 v-8, 4.3 vortec, 3.4 5vz, or built 22re.

·
Registered
779 Posts
most people eithwer put a 350 in or a built 22re with TRDcams and heads...

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
A-GUEST said:
Year? model? might help

-Alex
I guess the title of the poll didnt help? "Which engine to put in 1988 truck w/ 35's and sas"

·
Registered
779 Posts
edited post..thanks dude just get a supra motor twin turbo for real

·
Registered
779 Posts
OH i want a cummins I-4 great idea and diesel is cheaper now, finally again. someone wanna pay/sponsor my way through a swap? TIA ..lol

-Alex

·
Registered
779 Posts
you mean like giving us blessed taco owners the 5vzfe instead of the 3 point slow..? good point

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
If its already a 22re go with a 3rz (2.7 taco motor). The bellhousing will bolt right up and it has more power per liter than the the 5vz. Much simpiler swap with the cost being no more than 2K complete for a die hard toy motor.

Check pirate and marlin boards for all the info. I know i'll be doing it to both my trucks when the 22's go :)

-Josh

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
i would build a 2.7 up

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
I would go 2.7 as well, its a tough little motor and easy to work on. And its Toyota.
Also I think it was 4x4wire I saw a thread about a company that was making adapter plates to put a newer VW diesel onto a toyota drivetrain that would be worth a look.

·
Registered
138 Posts
With all due respect to toyota and their engineers. The gear is great. The price is always a scam. I would slap a chev 350 over any of the other motors for the simple fact, that it is so easily available, parts made left right and center. And it is probably cheaper then any toyota option.

If you have an unlimited budget. Of course toyota engines are great for toyota trucks. But at the end of the day, the 350 be it the LS6 , LS1, or a regular old 350, will give you more bang for your buck. ;)

I'm not sure how reliability of toyota engines transfers once you "swap engines"?? :confused:

I blew my 3.0L in my old truck (hydro locked) and replaced it with the same. I should have just bought a 350 and did a swap. Cost me $2500. at the time to replace the toyota engine. I figure I could get a used 350 and swap for about a grand.

ALL said and done. Jut my opinion :D

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
well, I just remembered I have an entire 22re sitting in my shed, I guess I will start getting some prices on parts for it. but the torwue I could get from a v-6 or v-8 would be really nice

·
Registered
395 Posts
Why pollute your yota with chitty parts? Go with any of the yota motors.

·
Registered
2,057 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts