TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want an exhaust system, which one gives the best sound...I had a Borla on my 02 and it sounded like SH#T.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
With the Borla out of the equation you'll likely end up with responses from either the Magnaflow, or Flowmaster camps. I've got an FM 50 DF, and love it on my 3.4L. Not ricey at all and has a mellower deeper tone.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I second the Flowmaster 50. Its nice and low, not ricey, and not too loud. You can hear it but its a nice hum. Mine is dumped right before he axle too. I might actually have a clip of it recorded if you want it. I have a V6 btw.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Now from the Magnaflow camp: My Mag is nice and deep. I finally heard it while I was outside the truck at the emissions place when the guy goosed it. It sounded SWEET!

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I know it's subjective, but I want a nice deep note...not looking for ricey at all...now debating whether to go with FM or MF???

·
Registered
360 Posts
mf

I have not personally heard but I have heard from other members that the magna flow sounds a bit ricey at certain RPM's. When my uncle went to get a muffler on his Taco they advised against the Magna Flow because they said it sounded a bit on teh ricey side.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I think it's funny... The guys with flowmasters will claim the magnaflow sounds "ricey" and the magnaflow guys will say the same about the flowmaster.

I personally would go with the largest/longest one I could find. But I'm not into loud mufflers anymore.

·
Registered
72 Posts
themariachi said:
I want an exhaust system, which one gives the best sound...I had a Borla on my 02 and it sounded like SH#T.
Thanks in advance.
I have had my FM 50 on my truck for a couple of years now, and I still love the sound! It's not too loud, but still sounds very nice..without the rice. :D

·
Registered
170 Posts
MDTRD said:
Now from the Magnaflow camp: My Mag is nice and deep. I finally heard it while I was outside the truck at the emissions place when the guy goosed it. It sounded SWEET!
Hey man. Thinking about buying a magnaflow here in the next week for my 4cyl. I want to do just a replacement for my stock. Is this how you did yours? if so, what is the muffler that I need to buy? I have liked the magnaflow and the research I did on them came up very nice.

Chris - VA

·
Registered
73 Posts
i put a Dynomax Super Turbo on my 2.7 and i really like it. not too loud. the real reason i put it on was for performance which was quite noticeable. i don't shift out of 5th nearly as often.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if you're in it for the sound only, get duals for sure.

·
Registered
72 Posts
04RedLobster said:
i thinking about getting either FM 40 or 50? what's the difference in sound? are the 40s louder? i have a v6 3.4
The 40 is louder than the 50. I've heard of people setting off car alarms with the 40.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
I am going to go with MDTRD. I have a Borla that was part of the original TRD system that I had to endlessly modify to keep it from banging and rattling under the truck.

It is pretty much the Borla muffler with a stock tail pipe now. Here is a dyno movie of what it sounds like:

http://www.gadgetonline.com/mvc-001v.mpg

One of our best URD customers loaned us her 4Runner that we installed the URD Stage II kit and our Big Brake kit on to drive to AZ for the TV shoot. She followed my advice and just put the long Magnaflow in the stock pipes. That thing really had a lovely sound to it. Being a 4Runner the muff is under the passenger compartment and it is much quieter in cruise then the Borla, but had a wonderful rich deep performance sound when you mashed on it. Very nice. If I ever get a free minute to work on my own trucks again, I am going to swap out the Borlas for the long Magnaflow.

Remember, loud is not fast. A nice rich deep sound is the mark of a well though out performance combination that will really perform.

Gadget

www.GadgetOnline.com

·
Registered
347 Posts
So how does the TRD catback sound (fit/finish)? I would like something a little louder than stock but not much. also I would like a bit more performance and something that is stainless so that I dont have to worry about buying a new one every two years in these Ohio winters.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts