TTORA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 05 V6. I am using conventional oil for the first few then switching to synthetic after that. I have always used Valvoline in my past vehicles. Are there any particular brands of filter or oil that are better than others? This truck needs to last me forever so I just want to make sure I treat it right! Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
793 Posts
Just stay away from Fram fiters.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
Why are you waiting to make the switch to synthetic? The sooner the better. I think the question of what synthetic works best is largly subjective unless you are planning on doing extended drain intervals. You will find a lot of Amsoil loyalists around here. I use Mobil1 5w-30 with an Mobil1 filter, and change it every 5000 miles. The used oil looks and feels remarkably like the new oil I put in. One of these days I'll do an oil analysis to see if it will go 7500 miles like the owner's manual recomends.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Breathegood said:
Why are you waiting to make the switch to synthetic?
It was my understanding that the first 2 or 3 changes should be with regular oil during the engine break in period? Not sure really why. Anyone?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
836 Posts
wvtaco said:
It was my understanding that the first 2 or 3 changes should be with regular oil during the engine break in period? Not sure really why. Anyone?
I think that's old wive's stuff. Kind of like the idea that switching to synthetic on an older car will cause seals to leak. It's not really the oil that causes the seals to leak, it's the old and warn dino soaked gaskets that can't take a cleaner, more homoginized oil. I don't know if there is any truth to the "break in with dino juice" philosophy, but I highly doubt it. Just do your first couple of changes earlier than you normally would to expunge any metal shavings left in the engine during the manufacturing process.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,130 Posts
I say OEM filters and Mobil 1. I run 5w30. 80k, no problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
169 Posts
KStacoma said:
I say OEM filters and Mobil 1. I run 5w30. 80k, no problems.
No problems? Didn't you post a while back about a tick at start up that you thought was piston slap. Just giving you a hard time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
KSTacoma is right. I have an 04 3.4 D-cab that I changed the factory fill at 2,500 with Mobil1 5w30 and factory Toyota filter. I changed it again at 5,000
with the same. At 10k I'll do it again.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So basically it's just a myth that you should use dyno for 2 or 3 oil changes then switch to synthetic. I read a post from an earlier topic that said to use dyno to break in the seals and gaskets, then switch. Something about the synthetic coating them and causing compression problems in the future. Thanks for your help.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,478 Posts
Breathegood said:
I think that's old wive's stuff. Kind of like the idea that switching to synthetic on an older car will cause seals to leak. It's not really the oil that causes the seals to leak, it's the old and warn dino soaked gaskets that can't take a cleaner, more homoginized oil. I don't know if there is any truth to the "break in with dino juice" philosophy, but I highly doubt it. Just do your first couple of changes earlier than you normally would to expunge any metal shavings left in the engine during the manufacturing process.
Okay, I guess my father in law is an old wife. Here is his tale. He builds Toyota indy motors. So, save for Gadget, he knows more than YOU. On HIS motors, the 2 this year in the 500, they do the break-in with regular motor oil, and do the break-in in a RELIGIOUS manner. Then, they switch to synthetics. Synthetics can provide TOO much lubrication, not letting rings seat into the walls properly. Plus, on a plain bearing engine, the crank journals need to seat themselves, too. So, take it from him, wait for the first 2 oil changes to do the switch. Now, when I used to race motorcycles, a long time ago, the same rule applied for the vfr hondas I rode. So, if you know more than Mike Velasco, let me know. I wanna hear it. :xdevil:
 

·
Stinks like fish
Joined
·
986 Posts
wvtaco said:
I'm getting ready to do the first oil change on my 05 V6. I am using conventional oil for the first few then switching to synthetic after that. I have always used Valvoline in my past vehicles. Are there any particular brands of filter or oil that are better than others? This truck needs to last me forever so I just want to make sure I treat it right! Thanks.

Go ahead and switch. I think the Mobil 1 can go the distance...The Pep boys special is about to make me jump my Dino ship. 2.50 a Qt is tooo good to pass up. On filters I am getting to where I put more emphasis on Flow and the quality of the antidrainback and bypass valves. OEM Toyota is a great value. As are the Purolator premium plus. Pure ones and Mobil ones seem to slow the flow.
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top