Which pitman arm for SAS

• Stock that came with box and the insert from FROR which i already have

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am gettting ready to do the swap on my taco over the next two weekends and am getting down to the final details but i have come to road block and it seems everytime i read a little more on here i change my mind about something. now my question is do i stay with the stock pitman arm with the insert from front range, which i have, or do i send it back and order the flat or 3/4 less drop from sky. i have mixed opinions but talking to some people who have done the swap recommend i keep the box perpendicular to the frame and use the flat arm.i have seen many people run the stock arm but have seen a ton of people who arent. so heres the poll and let me know what u got, what you recomend, and what would u do it differently in your setup if u were doing it again...
thanks
Ben

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I had the stock pitman w/the fror insert in it and it worked great. The only issue I ran into was under extreme compression I would hit the drag link on my d.s. leaf spring and bind my steering up. I shouldn't be neg. arching my leafs anyways but so it goes.
I got sky's 3/4" less then stock and no more issues but if you don't need it I see it as a pointless bling, u will never break a stock one imo.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so from the few that have voted, thanks guys, it seems that no one is running a stock arm with the FROR insert...so the answer i was hoping to get was that the stock arm would be fine since i already got that and really dont want to spend another $110 to buy a new arm if its gonna be more bling than a necessity. so my next question which i guess i should have asked is will the stock arm be fine or is it gonna be more trouble than its worth?

·
Registered
49 Posts
If you mount the box vertical, I'd lean towards a pitman arm with less drop. The stock arm will work, but as you said it can get cause interference during compression. Also, contrary to what someone else said, the stock pitman arm is by no means unbreakable.

FYI, the Sky pitman arms sometimes arrive not having been reamed quite enough to get the TRE in fully. If you go that route you might run into the same problem. Either send it back, buy the appropriately tapered bit, or find someone who has one already.

·
Registered
739 Posts
i've got a stock arm with a 1 ton tie rod in it and haven't had any problems, but my set up is not ideal either, as for the throw and jiving with the steering arm lengths etc...you should be fine

1 - 6 of 6 Posts