TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be purchasing a Tacoma and am having trouble making the decision of a regular cab 4x4 vs. a longer wheelbase access or double cab with the TRD package. I will be doing some light off roading, trails, mud, minimal rocks, etc. Would I be better off with the short wheelbase of the reg. cab or would having the e-locker be more beneficial and why?

Thanks for your opinions and input.

bigharley

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
bigharley said:
I am going to be purchasing a Tacoma and am having trouble making the decision of a regular cab 4x4 vs. a longer wheelbase access or double cab with the TRD package. I will be doing some light off roading, trails, mud, minimal rocks, etc. Would I be better off with the short wheelbase of the reg. cab or would having the e-locker be more beneficial and why?

bigharley
Each has thier strengths and weaknesses. A shorter wheelbase will allow you to make tighter turns on tighter trails, and a longer wheelbase xtra or dub cab will be a more stable climber, and allow more room for your junk and/or people. The regular cab will also be lighter. The e-locker is a nice option and will allow you to go more places than without since it allows both of your rear wheels to spin at the same rate when it's engaged. Less opportunity to get stuck as a result.

You can always retro-fit one of the aftermarket lockers into the regular cab if you decide to go that route. There are a few options available.

·
Registered
836 Posts
How often do you wheel, and is it a daily driver. For a DD with occasional moderate offroading, no contest, access cab or double cab. For a dedicated trail rig, the shorter wheelbase is nice, but there is no room to store stuff. I would feel bad making a passenger uncomfortable because they have to fight for a place to put their feet or hold my crap in their lap cause I didn't have the cab space.
On a side note, do the 05's not offer the TRD packages (there are 2 now) on the reg cab?

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Breathegood said:
On a side note, do the 05's not offer the TRD packages (there are 2 now) on the reg cab?
Correct, sir. '05 regular cabs are not available with either of the TRD equipment packages, and are only available with the 2.7L motor and 5-speed manual.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Correct, sir. '05 regular cabs are not available with either of the TRD equipment packages, and are only available with the 2.7L motor and 5-speed manual.
Gee, do you think Toyota is trying to phase out the reg cabs? duhhhh.
stupid move on their part, IMO.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
hytenor said:
Gee, do you think Toyota is trying to phase out the reg cabs? duhhhh.
stupid move on their part, IMO.
Well, if they wanted to completely phase it out they would have left it out of the total redesign. I think it would be a good candidate for a Rubicon Killer: dual e-lockers, 285/75R16s, 4.56s, lower t-case gears, winch, etc.

If I get a corporate job at Toyota when I'm out of school, I will do my best to push the idea.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
AK98Taco said:
I think it would be a good candidate for a Rubicon Killer: dual e-lockers, 285/75R16s, 4.56s, lower t-case gears, winch, etc.
Yea, right, LOL, like THAT will ever happen. Toyota HAD a Rubicon killer on the books a few years ago but whimped out and changed it to a IFS mall wheeler that will never sell. too bad.

The designers all had a chance to pick our brains at Takeover. We had maybe 20 SA rigs there, some with the latest coilover technology that make them ride/handle as well or better than IFS. We also had the Prototype coilover SA truck there and the builder. Did they care?? Did they ask any questions?? No.

·
Stinks like fish
986 Posts
bigharley said:

bigharley

If all you were going to do with a new truck was wheel it the regular cab is a fun size but the rest is all negative. Passenger room, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Get a dbl cab with a locker and your troubles will be few.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
Bryanccfshr said:
If all you were going to do with a new truck was wheel it the regular cab is a fun size but the rest is all negative. Passenger room, it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Get a dbl cab with a locker and your troubles will be few.
yea, and I hear some guy on the Tx coast is sellin one :rolleyes:

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
Yeah, the likelihood of Toyota actually attempting something mildly hardcore is slim to none. Toyota's 2004 YTD sales for the Tacoma hit over 152,000, which was down, but compared to a little over 29,000 YTD sales of Wranglers by Jeep in the same year, there are obviously enough consumers of Tacomas to justify some experimentation.

DCX now has two production vehicles with dual lockers, and one has a winch, and there are Jeep concept vehicles that feature dual lockers and dual winches, among other things.

The very love-it-or-hate-it FJ Cruiser concept is pretty pathetic for something off-road oriented. The only truly useful feature is the front winch, though it does come on 33s and has a rear coilover suspension.

Hopefully Toyota will see the trend set forth by the Rubicon and Power Wagon, but their concepts and actions don't reflect such a possibility.

·
Premium Member
3,071 Posts
or....If you go used..You could get a std cab with the e-locker like mine :0

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
AK98Taco said:
Yeah, the likelihood of Toyota actually attempting something mildly hardcore is slim to none. Toyota's 2004 YTD sales for the Tacoma hit over 152,000, which was down, but compared to a little over 29,000 YTD sales of Wranglers by Jeep in the same year, there are obviously enough consumers of Tacomas to justify some experimentation.

DCX now has two production vehicles with dual lockers, and one has a winch, and there are Jeep concept vehicles that feature dual lockers and dual winches, among other things.

The very love-it-or-hate-it FJ Cruiser concept is pretty pathetic for something off-road oriented. The only truly useful feature is the front winch, though it does come on 33s and has a rear coilover suspension.

Hopefully Toyota will see the trend set forth by the Rubicon and Power Wagon, but their concepts and actions don't reflect such a possibility.
What I can't understand is Toyota's switching to IFS for the new FJ project, I mean, what are they thinking?? We have proven that the coilover suspension SA trucks work and work well, handling as well or better than IFS for cryin out loud! The FJ is not targeted to socker moms and mall runners so why build it as if it were?? I think they just don't have a frigging clue. Rubicon sales would plummet if Toyota came back with a SA FJ with dual lockers and a winch. I mean, who wouldn't want a rig right off the showroom floor that could perform like the Rubicon but had the reliability of a Toyota?? So it would be a specialty vehicle and wouldn't get too far up there in sales...so price it accordingly. People will pay the price; they are with the Rubicon.

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
TacoCrazy said:
or....If you go used..You could get a std cab with the e-locker like mine :0
yea, and since you can't get that combo anymore the price for the used ones will go up ;) Just like the price of '85 SA trucks. They are getting to darn near what they cost NEW, LOL

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great feedback and discussion everybody, I really appreciate it. Some of the new discussion has me pondering ideas I didn't even have before this thread. Sounds like addiction starting :D So I'm thinking an access cab or d-cab is more practical and the factory e-locker is a big bonus, but were there years where the e-locker was offered as a factory option on the reg. cabs?

bigharley

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
hytenor said:
Yea, right, LOL, like THAT will ever happen. Toyota HAD a Rubicon killer on the books a few years ago but whimped out and changed it to a IFS mall wheeler that will never sell. too bad.

The designers all had a chance to pick our brains at Takeover. We had maybe 20 SA rigs there, some with the latest coilover technology that make them ride/handle as well or better than IFS. We also had the Prototype coilover SA truck there and the builder. Did they care?? Did they ask any questions?? No.

I have the exact opinion/ feelings!

There is a market that Toyota has not tapped into yet and that is the real off road enthusiests. I read a recent qoute that said that for every 10 Jeep Wranglers sold, 4 of them were Rubicons!

A utilitarian Toyota would fill a niche and garner an even larger following. When I mean utilitarian I mean a truck or SUV with beefy SA on both ends, two lockers, 33 inch tires, 40+:1 gear reduction, roll up windows, and a stick shift. That would be an awesome OEM out of the box truck for the casual hard core enthusiest and a great starting point for a true hardcore off road enthusiest.

If Jeep can do it, Toyota could tap into this market as well. Even if it was a 30K vehicle, I bet Toyota would still sell a fair number of them.

·
Retired
4,641 Posts
hytenor said:
What I can't understand is Toyota's switching to IFS for the new FJ project, I mean, what are they thinking?? We have proven that the coilover suspension SA trucks work and work well, handling as well or better than IFS for cryin out loud! The FJ is not targeted to socker moms and mall runners so why build it as if it were?? I think they just don't have a frigging clue. Rubicon sales would plummet if Toyota came back with a SA FJ with dual lockers and a winch. I mean, who wouldn't want a rig right off the showroom floor that could perform like the Rubicon but had the reliability of a Toyota?? So it would be a specialty vehicle and wouldn't get too far up there in sales...so price it accordingly. People will pay the price; they are with the Rubicon.
Yeah, I keep questioning my devotion to working for Toyota, when DCX is making such exciting vehicles, but I know there is lots of promise ($$$) in being a service manager. Hopefully they will change their ways and open their damn eyes to a booming industry.

A new, real FJ would be very nice. Make it look like the original, but equip it with the new Taco's drivetrain. Throw on coilovers front and rear, dual locked solid axles, a winch, and some kind of removable hardtop.

I have started to contemplate an '05 regular cab trail rig. I would remove the body from the frame, yank the engine and tranny, and gut the interior. From there, I would fully box the frame, make new mounts for a 4.0L V6 or 4.7L V8, add a 6-speed manual, and adapt a second transfer case with 4.7s.
Front suspension would be a 2-link with panhard coilovers, rear would be triangulated 4-link with coilovers. Axles would have custom housings with Toyota e-locked diffs and u-jointed shafts. Body would be all fiberglass.

But alas, that is a distant dream. :cool:

·
Going John Galt
31,846 Posts
WallyP226 said:

There is a market that Toyota has not tapped into yet and that is the real off road enthusiests.
they used to. It was called the FJ-40 and the SA 4x4 truck.
It seems they are not interested in filling any nitches or trying to take market share from Jeep...their, and our, loss.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
WallyP226 said:

There is a market that Toyota has not tapped into yet and that is the real off road enthusiests. I read a recent qoute that said that for every 10 Jeep Wranglers sold, 4 of them were Rubicons!

A utilitarian Toyota would fill a niche and garner an even larger following. When I mean utilitarian I mean a truck or SUV with beefy SA on both ends, two lockers, 33 inch tires, 40+:1 gear reduction, roll up windows, and a stick shift. That would be an awesome OEM out of the box truck for the casual hard core enthusiest and a great starting point for a true hardcore off road enthusiest.

If Jeep can do it, Toyota could tap into this market as well. Even if it was a 30K vehicle, I bet Toyota would still sell a fair number of them.
A toyota like you are describing would be the big bear of the woods. They could mass produce a similar design to what the SA owners have built, and it could have the option of some of the other stuff toy owners have come to like. I would love to see one. And truth be known, if Toyota made a 4 link st axle setup, it would cost less than their IFS. Price out rebuilding an entire front end from toyota, and then check the cost of a st axle, and the other goodies. At retail cost, it is fairly close. TELL me toyota couldn't close that gap. But they are deaf, and maybe blind, too. Thank god they are allergic to breaking down!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts