TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm running rears up front with budbuilt shackles on 35" tires and have so far been using diy packs using everybody's used/worn out packs which quickly sag and have me sitting on my bumpstops

riding on the bumpstops is getting old so I think I'm gonna buy new packs, I'm debating between skyjacker tr20 (2") lift or tr40 (4"lift) springs but not sure which would be better suited to support weight and get me off bumpstops.

Any thoughts?

·
Mr. President
1,254 Posts
I would go with the 4". You are probably going to have to remove the overload, so you lose about 1/2" there. Plus they always seem to sag a little.

·
Registered
179 Posts
run from the sky jackers unless you like the dump truck ride and just build a good set of rear for the front and don't short change the amount of springs you use. i have 6 springs in my pack and hit bumps from time to time but being on a ifs frame and trying to keep it low with 3in to bumps will do that

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think this may be an area where swapped trucks have an advantage, due to your front hangers being lower your springs don't require as much arch to achieve your necessary ride height. On factory mounts building a thick pack doesn't work because due to the arch you end up rubbing/binding on the steering links.

Im not necessarily sold on the skyjacker's but i need something that has a high enough spring rate to support the weight and get me enough height without getting so thick that it binds on my steering

·
Registered
179 Posts
to avoid the bind in the steering. rotate the box and put it in a place that will eliminate the bind. mine is forward and laid flat with a flat pitman arm

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Mine have 5 springs and are nearly flat....they have a part number on top that says r3534a but i cant find anything that says what they are. Like Scott said i think the keu is orientation of the steering box.....mine is pushed all the way forward against the body mount and i am running a stock drop type pitman arm.....they work great.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Todd, it looks like your using a non stock hanger http://www.ttora.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2272529&postcount=53 which I think is why it looks like you have over a 1" of clearance

my truck looks like this with 5 leaves

and I believe Jed's is similar

just to clarify it is the bar that runs between the knuckles that hits (sorry don't know proper name) everything else clears (truck is on bumpstops in pics and unfortunately always)

Only other thing I can see looking at pics is that I'm running a pretty healthy size degree shim and it looks like yours is not

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
It has an aftermarket hanger on it now.....but only because the springs were really sloppy in the stock one.....it cleared everything with the stock stuff.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I keep looking at the pics and it confuses me why i have so much more clearance:confused:

That hangers only added like 3/4" of lift.....one thing i know is different is i am running straight shackles whereas yours are boomerang correct? I wonder if that is making the difference?

Could you run longer straight shackles? That would also do the same thing your shim is doing and let you ditch it ( i think)

Fwiw mine drives awsome with zero death wobble.....but the hydro cylinder acts like a huge dampener so.....

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I believe the big difference in clearance is that your front hanger is lower than mine which pivots the spring away from the links and would probably allow me to use a smaller degree shim

I am running boomerang style shackles but would have to look to see if going to a straight shackle would work

Crap did we just go from replacing springs to reengineering my front suspension:confused:

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I know what your saying with the hanger....but with the way its on the truck the spring mounting point is less than an inch lower than stock

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Also keep in mind that on 38.5" tall tires i am only 24.25" to the frame at the body mount....which is low based on what i read in the "low riding" toyota thread on pirate....atleast for a leafsprung conventionally steered rig

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
I wonder if your shackles are "stretching" the spring and thats why they die so quick....whats your eye to eye measurement at ride height?

·
Registered
179 Posts
i have 6 leafs in my packs and they step down 4in in length from the stock pack. i have a very steep shackle angle that i think helps everything survive.

·
Registered
3,598 Posts
Your rear mount point is alot farther back than mine...my rear eye bolt is almost directly below tge rear of the body mount

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
About this Discussion
38 Replies
4 Participants
head
TTORA Forum
TTORA forum is the best Toyota off-road club around. We are nation wide with chapters in most states. Come in and discuss Tacoma, 4Runner, Highlander, & TRD models.
Full Forum Listing