TTORA Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My pre-runner is currently a 2wd, soon to be 4wd with a Diamond axle & 4WU 3link SAS. I recently received this T-case from an '03-'04 Tacoma. It did not include the shifter.
Anyone know which shifter & linkage is needed?
I had planned on installing the Marlin lefty but they are discontinued as is the Inch Worm.

Thanks for any ideas/ suggestions.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Awesome, thanks.
Do you have a picture?

·
Registered
2,814 Posts
This is the shifter that you'll need for that case. But your going to need to fool the actuator into thinking you still have ADD. It's the shifter at the rear with the button on the side. And it's not a hi/lo button shift. It's a 2wd/4wd button shift then you use the lever to go into 4lo. You'd be much better off by finding a J shift pattern t case from a tacoma. Will work much better for you.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is the shifter that you'll need for that case. But your going to need to fool the actuator into thinking you still have ADD. It's the shifter at the rear with the button on the side. And it's not a hi/lo button shift. It's a 2wd/4wd button shift then you use the lever to go into 4lo. You'd be much better off by finding a J shift pattern t case from a tacoma. Will work much better for you.

Nice set-up, is that yours? Thanks for the info.

I have not had any luck finding the J shift case.

Anyone know of one available, I'm all ears.

Thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
car-part.com <-- I would start with them. Or call inchworm, they might have a case or know where to point you.

Nothing wrong with the pushbutton case you have, they are pretty dependable. You will just need to wire up a relay to turn on and off the actuator for 4wd. But if you suck at wiring, find a J-shift.

Also, avoid 4runner cases 99 and up, they were AWD and not 4wd in a lot of the models.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Hmm, since the case I have has an actuator, that should be for an AWD?

·
Registered
801 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the link.
I'll dig through it and hopefully find out what I have.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Would it be possible to convert this to a J shift version? It seems all I need to do is replace the top plate with that set-up, or are there internal issues involved?

·
Registered
801 Posts
Would it be possible to convert this to a J shift version? It seems all I need to do is replace the top plate with that set-up, or are there internal issues involved?
That giant electric motor on the back of your tcase is what moves the 2wd-4wd rail. Where the j-shift controls both shift rails. Probably not possible to convert it.

Now you could install a J-shift lever on it, but it would only move from hi-neutral-low in a straight line.

So.. are you getting a 4wd transmission or are you gonna use the pre-runner adapter?

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I purchased a complete A340F trans from bell housing to TC.
Looks like I need to find a different TC? Which year is minus all of the electronic stuff?

Thanks.

·
Registered
801 Posts
I have a co-worker with an 01 tacoma with a J-shift, and a friend with an 03 with a J-shift, both std-cabs. I think they were available from 96 up, just matters what trim etc.. on the model.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Good to hear, thanks.
I'll be calling junkyards today.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a co-worker with an 01 tacoma with a J-shift, and a friend with an 03 with a J-shift, both std-cabs. I think they were available from 96 up, just matters what trim etc.. on the model.
I have an '03 SR5 regular cab. Gotta find a J shift T-case quick.

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
About 2 hours ago, I purchased the Inchworm TC w/ J shift abilities.

Now I heard that the case, which is the same as Marlin Crawlers, was discontinued. We'll see.

I'd rather not deal with electronics if I don't have to.

Thanks.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Up-date:
I spoke with Josh from Inchworm later this afternoon. Cool, guy... asked me about the speedo adapter which I completely forgot to order. Good thing too, he was just getting ready to ship my order which includes the TC & J-shifter.

All should be here later next week, can't wait.

Later.

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Been a while since I've up-dated this in regards to my J-shift questions/ fix.

Modified a shifter I bought from Marlin Crawler.

Here is a pic... works great.
Any questions, let me know. Hope this helps someone.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts