TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I know next to nothing about tires so I thought I would put my pride aside and ask you guys.
My Tacoma still has the stock tires and rims, and I desperatly need new tires. I searched a few different websites such as BF Goodrich, MickeyThompson, LesShwab, and Sears and the only tires that fit 31x10.5R15 are the cheap tires I dont want. BFG and Mickey didnt have any that size, Sears and Les Shwab only had other namebrands I've never heard of. Are there any good AT tires that I can get to replace my stocks?
The only other option I saw was ProComp, but I'd prefer to stay away from them.

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks.

Joshua

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
JRD said:
Okay, I know next to nothing about tires so I thought I would put my pride aside and ask you guys.
My Tacoma still has the stock tires and rims, and I desperatly need new tires. I searched a few different websites such as BF Goodrich, MickeyThompson, LesShwab, and Sears and the only tires that fit 31x10.5R15 are the cheap tires I dont want. BFG and Mickey didnt have any that size, Sears and Les Shwab only had other namebrands I've never heard of. Are there any good AT tires that I can get to replace my stocks?

Joshua
BFG does make an A/T tire in that size. The AT KO here.

·
Registered
203 Posts
31's are a popular size, most brands will have that size in an AT. Also check out Bridgestone's Duellers and REVOs. These are good tires with great streetability, and cheaper than the over priced B.F. Goodriches AT. Check out www.tirerack.com

You could also jump up to a 32' depending on what your needs are... offroad, ground clearance, etc. Good luck

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow thanks, when I go to the vehicle spec link and put in the year and make of my Toyota it said there were no matching tires...interesting that there are and they didnt show up.

KSdblcab mentioned moving up to 32's, if I do that will I need to get new rims or any other mods, or will they fit on what I have?

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
32...there might be rubbing...32s should be good..i'm gonna get 32x11.5x15 with 3.75 spacing with a 3in toytec coilspacers and 2" cornfed shackles in the rear..and i'm still kinda worry about rubbing when full flexed...but it's all good...

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Do what I did and get the tires you want off of tirerack.com, go to wal-mart and they will price match anywhere. Alot of other places will price match, but might make you charge for shipping.

As for how to look at them in tirerack, dont type in your vehicle, go to products at the top, select tires, and then you can put in the tire size that you want. Then scroll down to light truck tires and select what kinds you want.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I had a buddy who ran 32x10.50x15 tsl radials on stock steel wheels and they didnt hit anything. The truck was a 97 or 98 stock no lift at all. They were really close but he offroaded it some and I never heard them hit or saw any sign of them hitting.

·
Registered
369 Posts
You should be fine wide tires are problems on our trucks. I would get a rim that holds the tire as close to suspension as possible. Wide tires on rims that through them out away from the truck look really good but aren't the best offroading setup. I learned the hard way with a busted fender flare. I busted it just playing around not going through anything difficult.

·
Old Timer
266 Posts
JRD said:

Joshua
Just a FYI (Yes my flame suit is on) BFG are owned by the french...... :)

·
Going John Galt
31,843 Posts
JRD said:

Joshua
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/Compare1.jsp?startIndex=0&width=31X&ratio=10.5&diameter=15&search=true&pagelen=20&pagenum=1&pagemark=1&x=11&y=14

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
Just look for the tire size you need (31x10.50). I can't really recommend different brands. I had the wrangler rt's on mine when I bought it, and I put dueler mt's on it shortly after. I ran the piss out of those (at least 30k) and they still had a ton of tread when I sold them. I'm running wally world mt's for right now until I can get some new ones (probably ssr's in February), but I would run the dueler's again in a heartbeat if I was worried about streetability.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
JRD said:

Joshua
BFG DOES make a 31x10.50x15. That's what I run in the street. Another good A/T is the Michellin LTX A/T. There is a set floating around Houston that has nearly 100K on 'em. :) They just don't look as agressive as the BFG's do, but you can get great mileage from them!

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have Bridgestone A/T Dueler REVO's on my 99 Tacoma 4x4 Ext Cab TRD. I love them. Quiet, good grib etc...And if I recall correctly, I found them using the old Tacoma board and started researching from there. If they last as long as the BFG's then I am good for another 75K....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Okay just wanted to double check cause I'm goin out this weekend to get some new tires. Would most of you agree that 32's should be fine on my truck? I'm looking at the BFG AT 32x10.5R15 on a stock 2000 Tacoma TRD. The stock tires are 31x10.5R15.

Again as I said in my 1st post, I know next to nothing about tires, so any advise would be awesome! Thanks guys!

·
Registered
71 Posts
JRD said:
Okay just wanted to double check cause I'm goin out this weekend to get some new tires. Would most of you agree that 32's should be fine on my truck? I'm looking at the BFG AT 32x10.5R15 on a stock 2000 Tacoma TRD. The stock tires are 31x10.5R15.

Again as I said in my 1st post, I know next to nothing about tires, so any advise would be awesome! Thanks guys!
I'd guess since its a x10.50 that you should be okay. But, wait for someone more knowledgeable to chime in. I would like to say that if you're going to go bigger, why not get the 32x11.50s and maybe lift it a bit? ;) 2" would be fine I think. I think doing things right the first time in regards to wheeling saves money in the long run....

Peer pressure! :eek:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts