TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The truck is a 95.5 Regular cab, 2.7L 5spd. Have done a SAS on it, and lots of other metal work, but to this day, I have been open differentials in both ends. I am looking at getting a locker (LockRight) for the front and rear diffs, but I can't get both at once ($$$$). This truck is a daily driver (except when it is under construction :welder: ), so I don't want the on-road feel to be TOO bad, I have heard LockRights give bad manners on the road, especially with a 5spd, how are you all that have LockRights and 5spd's doing with street driving? Good, bad, ugly?

The D44 locker is cheaper, and won't affect me on-road at all. ($226 shipped-D44, around $260 shipped for the 8.4 rear locker) Also, are these good prices?

Opinions?

Thanks guys.

-Michael

·
Registered
358 Posts
If you can save up just a bit more $$, you might opt for a No-Slip for the rear instead of a Lock-Right. I have one in my '02 regular-cab five-speed, and while I can't make direct comparisons vs. the Lock-Right in terms of street manners, the No-Slip is not bad. It does take some getting used to, but I've been concerned for years how an automatic locker would operate on the street. The No-Slip put my worries to rest.

Tacoma747 said:
The truck is a 95.5 Regular cab, 2.7L 5spd. Have done a SAS on it, and lots of other metal work, but to this day, I have been open differentials in both ends. I am looking at getting a locker (LockRight) for the front and rear diffs, but I can't get both at once ($$$$). This truck is a daily driver (except when it is under construction :welder: ), so I don't want the on-road feel to be TOO bad, I have heard LockRights give bad manners on the road, especially with a 5spd, how are you all that have LockRights and 5spd's doing with street driving? Good, bad, ugly?

The D44 locker is cheaper, and won't affect me on-road at all. ($226 shipped-D44, around $260 shipped for the 8.4 rear locker) Also, are these good prices?

Opinions?

Thanks guys.

-Michael

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I'd go rear first, too. Get used to it, then get a front locker, or do both at the same time. You put one just in the front and you'll be able to get your front tires up an obstacle, but may not be able to drag the ass end up, too.

·
Administrator
95.5 Tacoma
18,482 Posts
There are more issues with running a locker up front then in the rear. Best to lock the rear then see what you want to do with the front.

·
Premium Member
4,997 Posts
Tacoma747 said:
The truck is a 95.5 Regular cab, 2.7L 5spd. Have done a SAS on it, and lots of other metal work, but to this day, I have been open differentials in both ends. I am looking at getting a locker (LockRight) for the front and rear diffs, but I can't get both at once ($$$$). This truck is a daily driver
I have lockrights front and rear. If you put one in the front you might want to think about a twin stick for those times you want to steer. :D

Later,
....Mike

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I guess I will just go ahead and get the rear one first then. Is the partnumber for a LockRight 1615 for the Tacoma rearend? The guy I talked to quoted me $255 for it, + shipping which is like $6. Everywhere I have looked online, that is the same partnumber everyone has listed for the tacoma, and they are all $30 or more higher than the $255 so I guess I got a good price.

Thanks guys. Now I just gotta hope I don't win that D44 locker on Ebay so I can put the $$ to a rear locker.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
I got lockrights front and rear with the 2.7, 5spd and 33's. Only when going slow around parking lots does the lockright suck cause some times it binds and makes a loud poping sound(not sure if this is really bad) also clicks at low speeds which is cool to me cause it tells people hey hes got a locker. Offroad it performs flawless, its makes a no skill driver look like he has some

·
Registered
132 Posts
I got the no-slip. It only pulls when I start a sharp turn from a dead stop, but it disconnects quickly. I can't hear it.

Going in reverse in thick mud on an incline it tended to want to plow in a straigt line instead of turning. It's got me thinking I want one up front now.

Having a locker is fun. The transmission is a lot more responsive and I am convinced it does handle better. It's probably going to wear my tires down a wee bit quicker, but I don't care. It's a hell of a cool mod and a hell of a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
The Shocker said:
Going in reverse in thick mud on an incline it tended to want to plow in a straigt line instead of turning.
Going up a muddy hill in reverse? You're front gears aren't going to last very long if you keep that up.

·
Registered
132 Posts
tenntaco said:
Going up a muddy hill in reverse? You're front gears aren't going to last very long if you keep that up.
Okay, I don't understand why.

It's not like I was hard on the truck. It wasn't off the beaten path or anything.

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
You're gears are weaker going in reverse. If you want to go mudding, you should probably hit it head on. You also stated that your truck just wanted to "plow in a straight line." That doesn't have anything to do with the rear locker, unless you've got 4-wheel steering. A lockright in the front does have a pretty noticeable effect on steering ability :(

·
Registered
132 Posts
Chrischin478 said:
Does the no-slip locker cause your gas mileage to drop at all since you are driving two tires instead of one?
Man, that's crazy talk. Shifting is a lot more responsive. Feels great.

If you know how to drive with this thing, taking corners is UN-NOTICEABLE.
I take corners and turns just as quick as I did without the locker.

Handles better.

There is no doubt in my mind that it will increase tire wear ever-so-slightly, but man who cares? This thing feels great.

Oh, and I havn't noticed any difference in gas.

·
Registered
358 Posts
The Shocker said:
Man, that's crazy talk. Shifting is a lot more responsive. Feels great.

If you know how to drive with this thing, taking corners is UN-NOTICEABLE.
I take corners and turns just as quick as I did without the locker.

Handles better.

There is no doubt in my mind that it will increase tire wear ever-so-slightly, but man who cares? This thing feels great.

Oh, and I havn't noticed any difference in gas.

Mine gets the same mileage as before it had the No-Slip. It got between 23.5 and 24.9 mpg on a recent trip to and from Moab (not while I was there, of course).

·
Registered
436 Posts
Tacoma747 said:

Opinions?

Thanks guys.

-Michael

Hey man, just thought i'd point u in this direction... sounds like they got good prices anyway... :D
http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6334

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thing is about PORC, I called them, had a price quote of $255 for the Tacoma locker (powertrax 1615)from DC4wd, and PORC said they couldn't beat it. So much for guranteed lowest price.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
YOU called Alex and told him that you are with TTORA ? Also Alex couldn't beat that price? I kind of find that had to believe... In fact I'm PM Alex to read this thread and make sure YOU did call him.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes I called, don't know who I talked to, but I told them I saw on the internet where they had said they would beat any price. I told him the a local shop quoted me $255 + shipping, he said that he could not do that price, said it was below his cost.

I don't know if he doesn't believe me or what, but when someone says they will beat any price I think they should honor it. Lost my business right when he said he couldn't do it, no big deal to me though...

1 - 20 of 32 Posts