TTORA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have '99 Tacoma 3.4L that just rolled over 93K and has been seeping fluid from the water pump for about 20K. Since I have to go in and do the timing belt anyway, I thought I would put on a new water pump. Since the factory one leaked though, I thought it might be better to use an aftermarket one. So I guess I have a few questions:

1. Should I just stick with a factory pump?
2. What other brands have you had good luck with?
3. Are there other brands that use a real gasket and not that Toyota silicone stuff? Or is that Toy. silicone good stuff?

I did install a factory pump using the Toy. silicone on a friend's truck about 20K ago, and he hasn't lost any fluid (maybe that's a sign, but I'm skeptical).

Thanks a lot. And I love the new forum format. Delphi was always really difficult to use, but this looks great and works great.

Todd Blanset
Vacaville CA

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
From your figures you got about 70K on the water pump, knowing about Toyota water pumps I would say yes there should be some concern, but your pump was not the norm. Most Toyota water pumps last much longer, stick with an original Toyota replacement and FIPG, you wont be sorry. The FIPG is good stuff when properly used.
Tim

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
twblanset said:
I have '99 Tacoma 3.4L that just rolled over 93K and has been seeping fluid from the water pump for about 20K. Since I have to go in and do the timing belt anyway, I thought I would put on a new water pump. Since the factory one leaked though, I thought it might be better to use an aftermarket one. So I guess I have a few questions:

3. Are there other brands that use a real gasket and not that Toyota silicone stuff? Or is that Toy. silicone good stuff?

I did install a factory pump using the Toy. silicone on a friend's truck about 20K ago, and he hasn't lost any fluid (maybe that's a sign, but I'm skeptical).

Thanks a lot. And I love the new forum format. Delphi was always really difficult to use, but this looks great and works great.

Todd Blanset
Vacaville CA

I'm about to do my water pump and timing belt soon. I ordered a new stock water pump and it came with an actual metal/rubber gasket, not the silicone stuff.

·
Registered
64 Posts
twblanset said:

Todd Blanset
Vacaville CA
I wouldn't go aftermarket, might have a worse situation than you had with the factory stuff. Toyota updated the part for the V6 water pump, it now comes with a gasket, not the FIPG. However, FIPG is good stuff and used throughout the engine.

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
twblanset said:

Todd Blanset
Vacaville CA
I just had mine done at 107,000. I too have a 99, v6. Mine was leaking (crystal build-up on pump) and the timing belt was way beyond due. I also was experiencing above normal temps while in stop and go traffic. I took mine to a shop here in Phoenix, the owner/mechanic is a Toyota trained tech who left a dealer and started his own shop. He recommended the Toyota water pump and used the sealant as an added precaution. Better safe than sorry. He will use other brands for some things, but not on critical components like the h2o pump. He also recommends using regular hose clamps and not the pinch kind as he has seen them fail numerous times.

·
Registered
64 Posts
tacoma_trd1999 said:
How much would I be looking to do the water pump and timing belt if I took it to a shop. I just hit 92000 and am thinking I should probably be getting that done.
Getting them done together is a lot cheaper than separate. The belt is cheap, the pump should be a hundred something....but labor will bit you in the ass...guessing around 3-400?

·
Good For You
3,442 Posts
tacoma_trd1999 said:
How much would I be looking to do the water pump and timing belt if I took it to a shop. I just hit 92000 and am thinking I should probably be getting that done.
For everything; t-belt, pump, hoses, drive belts, t-stat, new clamps, new rad fluid, labor and some other minor extras ran me 525 with tax. It was cheaper than the dealer which quoted a friend near 400 for the t-belt only. They told him the h2o pump shouldn't be replaced unless it was broke (uhhh yeah right).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts