TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to pick up a bender and welder in the next week or so when I get my tax refund and I'm wondering which welder to go with. I'll be welding bumpers, engine/cab/bed cages, etc. Looking for something inexpensive that will handle a good bit of use, I'll be welding 2x.120 and 1.75x.090 4130 tubing.. I'm not saying i want a cheap welder, just one that won't put too big of a dent in the bank account.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I'm getting ready to pick up a bender and welder in the next week or so when I get my tax refund and I'm wondering which welder to go with. I'll be welding bumpers, engine/cab/bed cages, etc. Looking for something inexpensive that will handle a good bit of use, I'll be welding 2x.120 and 1.75x.090 4130 tubing.. I'm not saying i want a cheap welder, just one that won't put too big of a dent in the bank account.
Dude... you know better than this... Search damnit! You lazy bastard!

I can recal numerous threads about welders, and maybe a couple about benders!

I love my Miller 175.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I searched and saw a bunch of different ones but none were too discriptive as to what they could handle...I want to make sure I get something that will handle the 4130, and a lot of it. i was looking at the miller 180, not sure though.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
I searched and saw a bunch of different ones but none were too discriptive as to what they could handle...I want to make sure I get something that will handle the 4130, and a lot of it. i was looking at the miller 180, not sure though.
Dude... the 175 will handle the 4130, I have welded 1.75 .120 Chromo with mine and it didn't even blink. I've welded everything from body sheet metal to some THICK DOM (.375 or maybe .500?). With proper preheat, and two or three passes I have no doubt that I penetrated more then enough. The 175 has a max penetration rating of .250 in a single pass. You'll be fine, prep the metal properly, have good notches, a good cage design and the cage will survive longer than your frame.

I have NEVER hit the overheat/cycle duty on my 175. NEVER. A couple weekends ago, I was welding almost all day, with very few breaks. Most of the material was .120 wall 1 3/4" welded tube, but there was a bit of 1/4" plate and 1/2" plate, along with some 1/4-1/2" fills. (Notch was off, and we didn't have any more tube, plus its not a desert truck so I'm not worried about it) I would have to say, at times I was welding for ~3-5 minutes straight with the plate, multiple passes. .023 wire.... Wire speed and AMPS both at Max. The welder never sputtered or flinched...

Spend your money in other places. Bent Tech software is awesome, a good bender (I have a JD 2, never a problem, bending the 1 3/4 .120 Chromo, yeah it gave me a work out, but the bender didn't have a problem with it.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah I already have SolidWorks 2004 but i was looking at the bendtech software too...and picking up a jd2 as well, just trying to decide between the model 3 and model 4.

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
Yeah I already have SolidWorks 2004 but i was looking at the bendtech software too...and picking up a jd2 as well, just trying to decide between the model 3 and model 4.
I have the model 3. not sure what the differences are. If the Model 4 will allow you to bend thicker material... go with that one!

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
model 4 is hydraulic

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
If you are serious about the bender, get the hydraulic kit and go with the JD2 from tricktools.com great folks

On the welder, get at least one that needs 220V and get a dedicated circuit for it...cause a welder that is starved for power does not weld well....and get the biggest welder you can afford. I'd START looking at the 175/180 range and go up from there...I bought a MM 251 and I'll never have to buy another MIG/flux core machine ever. :D

:welder:

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
i have a hobart handler 140 and couldnt be happier. if you want a bigger welder i would go with the 187,friend has it and loves it as well. everything feels top quality and most of the parts are stamped with the miller logo on it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
I have a Miller 185 and it kicks ass! It's a 220 single phase unit. I've had it for at least 5 years and zero probs.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Just give me a call, and I'll set you up whenever you need the stuff. Miller135 or lincoln 135. If you don't believe me... ask Paul at ZT fab.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks paul I really appreciate it...I definately want to get my own stuff but if I can use yours until then that would be great. PM me your number, my old phone fried and I lost your number.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks paul I really appreciate it...I definately want to get my own stuff but if I can use yours until then that would be great. PM me your number, my old phone fried and I lost your number.
You're such a clown!!!:xsmash: 714-801-5514. Toools are like girls, boats, planes= If it flies, floats, or fucks, cheaper to borrow a buddies than get your own!!! I have every die EXCEPT 1-1/2. But the 1"(2), 1-1/4(2), 1-5/8", 1-3/4", 2". Also, got some other new toys you'll DEFINITELY like......

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Sweet, I'm only going to need 1.75" and 2". New toys, eh? Maybe I'll have to make a trip up there soon and check them out. I'll have to bring up my new dog too, I don't think you've seen him yet.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Toools are like girls
Well if that's true... then my Harbor Freight tools are like a 3 dollar chinese whore... Cheap... But gets the job done to completion... LOL

Off topic...

Paul, when you welded that hoop on my AP bumper... did you use mig or flux ?...
What was the wire/tip size ?

I wasn't paying attention I guess :rolleyes:...

What new toys ? :p

·
Banned
966 Posts
I have the model 3. not sure what the differences are. If the Model 4 will allow you to bend thicker material... go with that one!
off topic, but

i couldnt help to notice your "BRING FIREWOOD" sig. in NY the parks department folks tell people to not bring firewood from location to location because of the insects that might tag along for the ride. does CA do the same thing ??

·
Registered
6,347 Posts
off topic, but

i couldnt help to notice your "BRING FIREWOOD" sig. in NY the parks department folks tell people to not bring firewood from location to location because of the insects that might tag along for the ride. does CA do the same thing ??
Not that i know of. We will also be in the high desert, specifically a mining area for the Calico run. I doubt the insects that like trees will like the brush up there.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Well if that's true... then my Harbor Freight tools are like a 3 dollar chinese whore... Cheap... But gets the job done to completion... LOL

Off topic...

Paul, when you welded that hoop on my AP bumper... did you use mig or flux ?...
What was the wire/tip size ?

I wasn't paying attention I guess :rolleyes:...

What new toys ? :p
Mig welder. .030 wire size. New toys??? My new inverter tiggy. I welded a couple aluminum cans together the other day for a laugh. It has the most unreal control I could ever imagine on a welder. Sometimes, it's not how big the welder can burn, but how small. The guy who I bought it from could not get it to work. So I gave him some money for the deposit, and when I got to his place, I got it running. And he could not get it to go. So, I played with it for 5 minutes....and welded together a pair of razor blades- the ultra thin gillette ones. He almost cried. I gave him the rest of the money, and got on my plane out of there. Thank you TEXAS.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts