TTORA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
8,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to get a new AD helmet under $200. i have basically narrowed it down to 2. one of them is a Thermal Arc. I did a search on here and didnt find much on the helmet. anybody have it?

second helmet is a Speedglass 100V. I know speed glass is good so not too worried about that.

which would you guys choose and why?

here are the links to them

http://store.cyberweld.com/spweheachise.html

http://www.buyweld.com/w4012000.html

im also open to any other options as well as long as its less than 200.

Thanks

·
Registered
719 Posts
only

The only question for me is which Speedglass model to buy. It's like Honda Generators. There is Speedglass and everything else. Just my opinion after 30+ years of welding.
Teryx

·
Registered
615 Posts
personally I prefer Optrel satellite helmets but probally gonna run you more than $200 I paid almost $400 for mine but for me buying cheap tools is not an option :2cents:

·
Registered
719 Posts
a few more cents worth

Not many replies so I'll add a little more. Not specific recommendations but things I look for that you might not think about. Of the two you listed, the SG has two sensors. If you are welding on a table that doesn't matter much, but start crawling under a truck to weld and it's easier than you think to get into a position where you can see, but the sensor is blocked. The thermal arc does have fully adjustable shading which I think you will want, especially if you ever tig weld. For that reason I would go up one model on the SG and get that feature. The SG has a slightly lower darkening scale which means the viewing shade will be easier to see through. The TA goes up to 13 dark, but who the hell uses 13? Maybe for carbon arc or something, but I've never wanted over 12. Even though all the helmets list fast switching times, in reality they do differ. The SG is FAST over a wide range of conditions. Another plus for the SG is that it is fairly slim compared to the TA and most others that I've seen. Again, that becomes a big deal when you go crawling.
These are just a few things that over time make you hate or love your helmet. Hopefully some other guys with arc time will chime in and help you out. I like challenges when it come to fabricating, but I get pissed real quick when I'm challenged by my tools! I agree 100% with Marco. Save a little longer if you need to and get a tool you'll end up loving.

Teryx

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Get a larger viewing area if possible. I used to have the Speedglas you are considering. I traded it out for the Miller Elite.

I weld all day/everyday as do both fab guys in my shop. We all run Miller Elite helmets.

Save up a little more to get the larger lens. Is not that much more and IMHO its an absolute necessity when working under rigs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/MILLER-ELITE-AUTO-WELDING-HELMET-JOKER-227187-/140505896031?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item20b6cdd45f

FWIW, Speedglas, Jackson, Miller, etc all make damn good helmets. Just get the larger lens in which ever one you like the best, and it will work great.

One more thing to think about is how much the consumables are for each one. I usually pay about $8 for five replacement lens covers for my hood. Its not too bad.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
wutz the difference of a $ 60 weld helmet Vs. a $ 400.00 unit ?
excluding the extra coin or bling.

I use a pos harbor freight thing... seems to get the job done.
No fancy paint scheme... but is adjustable.
Must work aw'riite... 'cause I'm not blind yet. :dunno:

granted... I'm not welding every day.

guess if I had a question it would be...

what's the best, lowest cost, hobby grade welder's helmet ?

·
Registered
3,900 Posts

ive never had a "nice" welding helmet, but i did go from a harbor freight self darkening helmet to a hobart self darkening and the hobard is more comfortable and seems to lighten up faster and doesnt darken all the time in the sun like my harbor freight did. just what ive experienced so far.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts

I guess the question you should ask yourself then is "What are your eyes worth?"

If they are only worth a $49 Chinese POS helmet, then there you have it.

With that said, I have used a HF POS on the trail. Yes, there is a major difference and I for sure would never use one everyday.

·
Registered
719 Posts

Dell, my concern would be the longterm effect of slow switching. Your brain may not even percieve it, but the damage is cummulative. I really don't know how much the eyes can take, or how slow the HF unit might be. All I know is that welding eye protection is never the place to cut corners. Ask any professional welder who is retirement age. Most of those poor bastards are blind. If I couldn't afford a quality unit, I would stick to a fixed shade unit. I'll tell you though, once you get used to an AD, you just can't go back. Buy cheap beer, but get good safety gear :welder:

Teryx

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Dell, my concern would be the longterm effect of slow switching. Your brain may not even percieve it, but the damage is cummulative. I really don't know how much the eyes can take, or how slow the HF unit might be. All I know is that welding eye protection is never the place to cut corners. Ask any professional welder who is retirement age. Most of those poor bastards are blind. If I couldn't afford a quality unit, I would stick to a fixed shade unit. I'll tell you though, once you get used to an AD, you just can't go back. Buy cheap beer, but get good safety gear :welder:

Teryx
most of those old timers are blind because there wasnt autodarkening when they were welding so they just closed there eyes when making tacs. even if your eyes are closed thats when it gets u the worse.

·
Registered
719 Posts
most of those old timers are blind because there wasnt autodarkening when they were welding so they just closed there eyes when making tacs. even if your eyes are closed thats when it gets u the worse.
SAS, you're right about that. The point is, no matter how you get the accumulated damage it still adds up. Those old timers never thought what they were doing was really hurting them. You can't even see the most damaging rays because they are beyond the spectrum of the human eye.

I'd really hate to see Dell go blind because....well.....He seems like kind of kind of an ass now, and he'd be unbearable blind. :D

Teryx

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
thanks for reading the question people... :rolleyes: :flipoff1:

edited for the hell of it...

I'd really hate to see Dell go blind because....well.....He seems like kind of kind of an ass now, and he'd be unbearable blind. :D

Teryx
nah, U don't really give a shit...
and yeah I'd get some brilliant Braille program
just so's I can stick around here and read of yer complaint :rolleyes:

and yer "like kind of kind of" too ! :flipoff4:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
thanks for reading the question people... :rolleyes: :flipoff1:
Obviously more than your cheap ass can afford. :D:welder:

A welding helmet is something you should only need to buy once. Spend the money on a quality helmet. Those of us who are into this on an everyday basis have our preferences. Speedglas, Miller, Jackson, etc. Find a good unit and talk to some guys who weld for a living and see what they say. Buy it once and never worry about it again. Just change batteries and lenses and that is all you will ever have an issue with.

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
Buy it once and never worry about it again. Just change batteries and lenses and that is all you will ever have an issue with.
that's all I have had to do, with this cheap HF junk... :confused:

U guys are useless :D

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
that's all I have had to do, with this cheap HF junk... :confused:

U guys are useless :D
Its your f'n EYES at stake Dell. :rolleyes:

Actually, better yet. Just keep welding with it. It will keep you from being able to read and respond to posts as you get older. :rolleyes:

:D:D:D

BTW, just because you have a Harbor Freight four blocks from your house doesn't mean you should always shop there. I bet you have a full tool box of Pittsburgh sockets and wrenches too. Don't you Dell?

·
Registered
116 Posts
http://www.millerwelds.com/products/welding_protection/head_face/helmets/pro-hobby/

looking to get a new AD helmet under $200. i have basically narrowed it down to 2. one of them is a Thermal Arc. I did a search on here and didnt find much on the helmet. anybody have it?

second helmet is a Speedglass 100V. I know speed glass is good so not too worried about that.

which would you guys choose and why?

here are the links to them

http://store.cyberweld.com/spweheachise.html

http://www.buyweld.com/w4012000.html

im also open to any other options as well as long as its less than 200.

Thanks

·
truck ~n~ tow
10,917 Posts
hah, yer funny Scotty...

but where's the facts that prove yer chinese bullshit
is better/safer then the mongolian HF chit I got ?

I get that quality stuff is nice... no doubt

but what makes you think the auto-dark helmet from HF
isn't up to the task of protecting the eyes :confused:

I think yer just playin' troll wit 'da bulcocky. :p

I have Craftsman... 'cept the pieces my friends borrowed. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
hah, yer funny Scotty...

but where's the facts that prove yer chinese bullshit
is better/safer then the mongolian HF chit I got ?

I get that quality stuff is nice... no doubt

but what makes you think the auto-dark helmet from HF
isn't up to the task of protecting the eyes :confused:

I think yer just playin' troll wit 'da bulcocky. :p

I have Craftsman... 'cept the pieces my friends borrowed. :rolleyes:
Actually I wasn't trying to prove anything.

Its pretty simple though. Its my eyes at stake. I won't take chances with my eyes. If you want to, then by all means go ahead. But a $250 helmet over the 10+ years I have been fabricating is a drop in the bucket.

But, since you asked: I don't like the lens on the HF hood. Its too small, too slow to react both ways, and isn't very clear in comparison to my Miller hood. I have only really used it on the trail a couple times. And, I can tell you I have been flashed a couple times because the helmet was either too slow to react or the sensor was blocked. Either way it doesn't matter as my Miller has NEVER done that. Pretty cut and dry IMO

1 - 20 of 59 Posts