TTORA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm upgrading my alternator, and am upgrading the wiring as I go. This is probably a rediculous question, but I'm stumped. I installed a 4 gauge wire from the new alternator straight to the battery, with a 140A in-line fuse. Therefore, I took the stock fuse box out of the loop.

Now, how do I get power back into the stock fuse box? Should I run a wire from the battery to the post that the alternator was originally hooked to, as shown in the top right of this photo, or should I run a wire from the battery to the white wire that comes out of the bottom of the inboard side of the stock fuse box (the one that originally connected the fuse box to the battery), as shown in the middle bottom of this photo:

Or am I totally wrong, and should be doing something else?

Please let me know, as I'd sure love to be done with this project (so close!). Thanks!
-Radar

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, my belief is that connecting the battery to the fuse box with the same white wire as originally used is the correct way to do it. So, I hooked it up, and it seems to work.

If anyone knows this to have been the wrong choice, or can validate my decision with a "yup, that's right!" please let me know.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Well, my belief is that connecting the battery to the fuse box with the same white wire as originally used is the correct way to do it. So, I hooked it up, and it seems to work.

If anyone knows this to have been the wrong choice, or can validate my decision with a "yup, that's right!" please let me know.
wradar, the way you hooked it up is the way I would have done it, so; "yup, that's right!" from me.

·
7,735 Posts

Yup, that's right.

The wire from the alt going to the fuse block is to make use of a fuse in the stock fuse block between the alt and the battery (generally referred to as the "main fuse"). Since you put an inline fuse in a new wire going from Alt to Battery, that's no longer needed. Simply eliminating the original wire between Alt and Fuse block is all that's needed.

As a side note: This is how Hi-amp Alt upgrades should be wired too. If it's not, then the "main fuse" in the stock fuse block will blow when the upgraded alt starts putting out the amp's it's designed to provide (in conditions like heavy winch use). In this scenario, you want to choose a fuse that's just over what the upgraded alt is designed to put out. I know Stealth4x4 had this issue before we re-wired his setup. This is also how I wired mine... 160amp Alt, 175amp fuse direct between the Alt and the battery.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts